2 Pages V  < 1 2  
I Hate Rap
rokchik
Jul 27 2007, 09:38 PM
The Dark Canuck
Well I just had to put my 2 cents in....

I am a huge Hip Hop fan. I don't listen to it as much anymore now that the guitar has taken over my world but it is still there.

There are many facets of hip hop, same as there are many facets of metal, rock etc. I've seen threads on here about fave or most hated metal genre and people get very heated about what they concider good and what is concidered bad. The same goes for this thread. Don't judge Hip hop on the guys who rap about crunk juice and how much money they got. That might be what's popular but that's not all of hip hop. I mean I'm not a big metal fan and the whole growling thing I just don't understand, but I'm not gonna base my opinion of the entire genre on a few bands I just don't like. I mean there is a lot of rock bands I hate but I don't hate rock. I agree with what some of you are saying about the "club" stuff. I don't really care about how much money you got or the size of the rims on your Escalade but unfortunatly thats the stuff that sells right now.

But go back and listen to guys like Grandmaster flash, Run DMC, KRS1, and Public Enemy even Queen Latifa. That is great stuff. Even some ganster rap like Dre, Tupac, NWA...it's all lyrical and very socially aware stuff. Yes there will still be some money and car stuff that's just the culture, but also some very important lyrics and messages. Modern guys I'd recommend would be Common, Mos Def, Eminem, even LL Cool J. If you enjoys lyrics and poetry Hip Hop has got it. It has also influenced bands like Rage Against the Machine, Korn, and Linkin Park who bridge the gap between rock and hip hop fo me anyways.

Remeber guys and gals, there is crap in all genres of music.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by rokchik: Jul 27 2007, 09:40 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
FretDancer69
Jul 27 2007, 10:07 PM
GMC:er
QUOTE (Andrew Cockburn @ Jul 27 2007, 01:11 PM) *
laugh.gif That's a good counter example - understand somehting before you trash it! I'm sure Rap and Death metal are both art forms when done well - neither appeal to me, but you have to respect peoples efforts to build somehting original.

i do understand Rap. In fact, i even hate saying this: i used to listen to Rap and Reggaeton, i used to like alot. But i dont anymore. And thats why i made my comment before. And im not changing opinion. I dont listen to Death Metal, and because of that i wont critize it.

About Eminem, i used to listen to it when i was a kid. I stopped. But ive seen some good stuff about him, some nice lyrics. But some songs are just like the rest.

Agreed.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by FretDancer69: Jul 27 2007, 10:09 PM

--------------------
Playing Guitar Since: December 2006

+Quote Post
Robin
Jul 27 2007, 10:50 PM
QUOTE (rokchik @ Jul 27 2007, 08:38 PM) *
Well I just had to put my 2 cents in....

I am a huge Hip Hop fan. I don't listen to it as much anymore now that the guitar has taken over my world but it is still there.

There are many facets of hip hop, same as there are many facets of metal, rock etc. I've seen threads on here about fave or most hated metal genre and people get very heated about what they concider good and what is concidered bad. The same goes for this thread. Don't judge Hip hop on the guys who rap about crunk juice and how much money they got. That might be what's popular but that's not all of hip hop. I mean I'm not a big metal fan and the whole growling thing I just don't understand, but I'm not gonna base my opinion of the entire genre on a few bands I just don't like. I mean there is a lot of rock bands I hate but I don't hate rock. I agree with what some of you are saying about the "club" stuff. I don't really care about how much money you got or the size of the rims on your Escalade but unfortunatly thats the stuff that sells right now.

But go back and listen to guys like Grandmaster flash, Run DMC, KRS1, and Public Enemy even Queen Latifa. That is great stuff. Even some ganster rap like Dre, Tupac, NWA...it's all lyrical and very socially aware stuff. Yes there will still be some money and car stuff that's just the culture, but also some very important lyrics and messages. Modern guys I'd recommend would be Common, Mos Def, Eminem, even LL Cool J. If you enjoys lyrics and poetry Hip Hop has got it. It has also influenced bands like Rage Against the Machine, Korn, and Linkin Park who bridge the gap between rock and hip hop fo me anyways.

EXACTLY!

+Quote Post
ibanezkiller
Jul 27 2007, 11:58 PM
QUOTE (jeff @ Jul 27 2007, 01:50 PM) *
I don't really like it either. But, I do like to walk around holding my package! laugh.gif

HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAa

--------------------
METALLICA ROCKS!

+Quote Post
VinceG
Jul 28 2007, 01:08 AM
I should get in on this. I dont listen to commercialized rap/hip hop because well, its all the same. But Hip-hop is like Metal in a way. You have to look for the good artist. Good music is not presented to you nowadays. You have to have the patience to look for those bands/artist that stands out.

People like MF Doom, MF Grimm, Necro, Mr. Hyde, Sabac, Nas, Ghostface Killah, Rza, Method Man are some of the artist that break the barriers of hip hop. Dont talk s*** if your not well informed. It just makes you look ignorant.

--------------------
METAL SUCKS

My Last.fm account. View it for all the terrible music I play on a daily basis

+Quote Post
JVM
Jul 28 2007, 03:19 AM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (VinceG @ Jul 27 2007, 06:08 PM) *
I should get in on this. I dont listen to commercialized rap/hip hop because well, its all the same. But Hip-hop is like Metal in a way. You have to look for the good artist. Good music is not presented to you nowadays. You have to have the patience to look for those bands/artist that stands out.

People like MF Doom, MF Grimm, Necro, Mr. Hyde, Sabac, Nas, Ghostface Killah, Rza, Method Man are some of the artist that break the barriers of hip hop. Dont talk s*** if your not well informed. It just makes you look ignorant.

I agree, especially with Ghostface, method man, rza and Nas (even though I like Jay-Z at the same time tongue.gif). I don't know the other guys so I'll check them out.

--------------------
Gear: Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Gibson '67 RI Flying V, Mesa Boogie F-30 112 combo, crazy pedals.

+Quote Post
Jeffrey
Jul 28 2007, 09:25 AM
I liked rap when people actually used intelligence in their rhymes. Now it is, "who? Mike Jones" 25times in 1 song? what is this. If you dont like rap there is nothing wrong with that but at one point in time it was good. Take a look at Tupac : Changes. You can't help but say how the hell did he manage to put that much feeling into a song? although I do like rap/hip-hop as club music, I wouldn't consider todays "rap" to be a challenging feat to accomplish. If all I have to do is ask what my name is and then yell it, then be rich because of that; i'd change my name over and over again and keep profitting off of it...

--------------------
My Guitar:
IPB Image

Schecter FR C-1 Hellraiser
CONSTRUCTION/SCALE: Set-Neck w/ Ultra Access /25.5"
BODY: Mahogany w/ Quilted Maple Top
NECK/FINGERBOARD: 3-pc. Mahogany/Rosewood
FRETS: 24 X-Jumbo
INLAYS: Gothic Cross
PICKUPS: EMG active 81/85
ELECTRONICS: Vol/Vol/Tone/3-Way switch
BRIDGE: Original Floyd Rose Tremolo
BINDING: Abalone
TUNERS: Grover

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 02:20 AM