2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Religion In Music
chast
Oct 28 2007, 08:19 AM
Learning Roadie
Hey Gmc'ers

I need a bit help.
I have to do a project in religion for school and we choose the topic "Religion In Music".
At first I thought "hm, no problem, there must be much religion in music" but now I looked through my music and didnt find so much religious, I found some titles with some religious stuff but the lyrics arent religious :/
So now I need your help: Do you know some bands with religious influences ? Also could be some satanic influences.
Genre doesnt matter, can be everything.

I hope you know some smile.gif

Max

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
"They play it extremely fast, it doesn't make any sense, but it's Slayer so it makes a lot of sense" :)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Zephyr
Oct 28 2007, 08:34 AM
GMC:er
There are probably hundreds of Christian rock/pop bands out there, just off the top of my head, there's Switchfoot, Relient K, Five Iron Frenzy, and Hillsong United, and there's plenty of satanic references in rock and metal. I'm not sure about other religions in music, though...

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
botoxfox
Oct 28 2007, 08:38 AM

This post has been edited by botoxfox: Apr 21 2011, 10:58 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
SLASH91
Oct 28 2007, 08:39 AM
Christian-
Red
Switchfoot
Kutless ( don't really know that many, just the popular ones)

Satanic-
lots of metal bands
Slayer is one

This post has been edited by SLASH91: Oct 28 2007, 08:41 AM

--------------------

"Remember to live, eat, sleep and breathe music for the mind, play from your heart and never be swayed by the current trends"-
Rusty Cooley

My gear:

Marshall Valvstate
Digitech Distortion Factory
Jackson RR24 (Randy Rhoads)
Ibanez RG2550e
A ripoff brand acoustic guitar
and a Yamaha Classical guitar :)

+Quote Post
Understudy
Oct 28 2007, 08:47 AM
Give mental jewelry a listen, lives first album. Several songs on it are inspired by religion or the lack there of.

--------------------
Guitars Carvin DC-127 Ibanez RG-470
Accoustic Guitar Ovation Celebrity
Amp Marshall VS65R
Recording Gear Tascam Ministudio Porta 02 (Analog 4 track)
Boss DR-220 Dr. Rhythm Digital Drum Machine
Tuner Boss TU-12
Effects pedals Dunlop 535Q CryBaby, Boss CE-5 Chorus Ensemble, Boss
CS-3 Compression Sustainer, Boss MT-2 Metal Zone, Boss DD-5 Digital Delay

+Quote Post
VinceG
Oct 28 2007, 09:01 AM
QUOTE (botoxfox @ Oct 28 2007, 12:38 PM) *
Buddhist black metal, that would be interesting for sure...

Seriously though, you'll probably find a lot of satanic/anti-christian references in black metal if that's what you're looking for...

Nah that will never happend. Black Metal was created out of pure hate. Buddhist can never hate.

As for religion, look into a band called Orphaned Land which has a lot of Judeo beliefs in the music. There also a Progressive death metal band

As for Satanism, well look into Dark Funeral for that Luciferion Satanism and Gorgorth for Lavey kind of Satanism.

This post has been edited by VinceG: Oct 28 2007, 09:06 AM

--------------------
METAL SUCKS

My Last.fm account. View it for all the terrible music I play on a daily basis

+Quote Post
Spiderusalem
Oct 28 2007, 09:08 AM
QUOTE (VinceG @ Oct 28 2007, 01:01 AM) *
Nah that will never happend. Black Metal was created out of pure hate. Buddhist can never hate.

There is Buddhist punk.

--------------------
Equipment: Classical/Jazz hybrid guitar. blunt/black humor.

Success is the best revenge.

+Quote Post
chast
Oct 28 2007, 09:21 AM
Learning Roadie
Thank you all smile.gif
Hmpf, I dont want to do this project biggrin.gif Im just too lazy wink.gif
Whatever, that should be enough, but if anyone knows some more bands, just post them smile.gif

--------------------
"They play it extremely fast, it doesn't make any sense, but it's Slayer so it makes a lot of sense" :)

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
Oct 28 2007, 09:22 AM
Fire Up The Blades, Moderator
Check out David Wallimans Album "Deep Inside The Mind" smile.gif

+Quote Post
ActiveX
Oct 28 2007, 09:29 AM
I grew up in a fairly strict Christian household, and I was only allowed to listen to Christian music.
My first exposure to rock music, and guitar were through such bands. When I got into my older teens, I
started listening to other music such as Van Halen, ACDC, etc. Some of the Christan Rock was actually pretty
good. I remember one guitarist that was very talented; Rex Carrol I believe was his name. WhiteCross - Christian Metal

I know that Christian rock gets bashed a lot, and does not usually get much respect in other circles,
but if it wasn't for bands like these, poor kids like me who grew up in religious households would not have
had exposure to rock music, and would not have been inspired to start playing.

+Quote Post
Slammer
Oct 28 2007, 10:10 AM
Man, That Rex Carrol guy is pretty Darn Good ohmy.gif

+Quote Post
SLASH91
Oct 28 2007, 10:19 AM
QUOTE (ActiveX @ Oct 28 2007, 03:29 AM) *
I grew up in a fairly strict Christian household, and I was only allowed to listen to Christian music.
My first exposure to rock music, and guitar were through such bands. When I got into my older teens, I
started listening to other music such as Van Halen, ACDC, etc. Some of the Christan Rock was actually pretty
good. I remember one guitarist that was very talented; Rex Carrol I believe was his name. WhiteCross - Christian Metal

I know that Christian rock gets bashed a lot, and does not usually get much respect in other circles,
but if it wasn't for bands like these, poor kids like me who grew up in religious households would not have
had exposure to rock music, and would not have been inspired to start playing.

Hmm, I'm kinda in the same situation right now. Except I can listen to most rock, metal (just not as much as I would like). It's tough, though, cause my mom hates the lyrics in most metal, even Metallica sad.gif

This post has been edited by SLASH91: Oct 28 2007, 10:25 AM

--------------------

"Remember to live, eat, sleep and breathe music for the mind, play from your heart and never be swayed by the current trends"-
Rusty Cooley

My gear:

Marshall Valvstate
Digitech Distortion Factory
Jackson RR24 (Randy Rhoads)
Ibanez RG2550e
A ripoff brand acoustic guitar
and a Yamaha Classical guitar :)

+Quote Post
Unleash-The-Shre...
Oct 28 2007, 10:50 AM
Well also for Christian Rock there is Creed, which is very popular and the band that came after Creed, Alter Bridge (I don't know if they are Christian anymore though). But for Satanic bands there is Dimmu Borgir which from what I read the most Satanic band there is.

Here is a couple videos.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=j8bUs0eqHYY
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=eAmMcBQavKE

+Quote Post
erik
Oct 28 2007, 06:23 PM
slayer - god hates us all tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Robin
Oct 28 2007, 07:46 PM
QUOTE (Unleash-The-Shred @ Oct 28 2007, 09:50 AM) *
But for Satanic bands there is Dimmu Borgir which from what I read the most Satanic band there is.

Pfffh, Dimmu arent satanists.

As Vince said, Gorgoroth are satanists. Also Ragnarok. I cant think of more at the moment.

+Quote Post
Owen
Oct 28 2007, 07:50 PM
QUOTE (SLASH91 @ Oct 28 2007, 09:19 AM) *
Hmm, I'm kinda in the same situation right now. Except I can listen to most rock, metal (just not as much as I would like). It's tough, though, cause my mom hates the lyrics in most metal, even Metallica sad.gif

Just listen to metal where she cant make out the lyrics then laugh.gif

My parents hate what I listen to the majority of the time but they've never told me I'm not allowed to listen to it - just that they hate it, which, if I'm being honest, was one of the reasons I got into it in the first place. rolleyes.gif laugh.gif cool.gif

On topic:

Bands with religious and anti-religious lyrics?

Pavel recommended a speed metal band a while ago - Impellitteri, I dont like them at all but they might be worth looking at for the purposes of your project, very strong Christian lyrics.

Anti religious?

Might be worth looking at bands like Slayer and Textures, Slayer lack conviction for me however as their singer is actually christian himself - Tom Araya. Textures take a different angle on the whole thing, they're very much humanist, the first line of their newest album goes - "We dont need a saviour, to be saved, we only need a clear head" which I think makes perfect sense. An extremist band would be Thus Defiled - a UK black/death metal band who have an introduction about sodomising the virgin mary - lovely unsure.gif

--------------------
Don't Panic.

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
Oct 28 2007, 07:53 PM
Learning Tone Master
I know that As I Lay Dying are a christian band but I don't think you'll find something usefull in their lyrics. Avenged Sevenfold has some lyrics taken from the Bible (even the Band name is a Bible quote)

--------------------

Gear:
- Jackson USA Select KV2 King V with EMG 81/85
- Gibson Les Paul Custom Arctic White with EMG 81/85
- Ibanez Rg 8527 J Custom 7-String with DiMarzio Evolution and Air Norton

- Peavey 6505+ head with Marshall 1960AV 4x12 cab
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Practice Amp
- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

+Quote Post
purple hayes
Oct 28 2007, 08:10 PM
Ultimate Guitar Hero
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turn!_Tur...re_Is_a_Season)

The Byrds "Turn, Turn, Turn" is taken almost exclusively from the Bible.

Plus, your teacher will think you're cool for referencing something older.

Elvis did a lot of gospel recording, too.

http://archives.cnn.com/2002/SHOWBIZ/Music...p.elvis.gospel/

--------------------
My guitar bits on YouTube: <a href="https://www.youtube.com/duathlon70" target="_blank">https://www.youtube.com/duathlon70</a>

+Quote Post
MickeM
Oct 28 2007, 08:23 PM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
I think you should have a look at Stryper! It's a christian heavy metal band with shredding guitarist Oz Fox... if I remember his name well.

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Oct 28 2007, 08:43 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (The Uncreator @ Oct 28 2007, 09:22 AM) *
Check out David Wallimans Album "Deep Inside The Mind" smile.gif

+1 for that!! smile.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 03:48 PM