How Low Can You Tune A Guitar?, Drop X?
thefireball
Jul 20 2013, 07:05 PM
Learning Roadie
Pretty low...and then it gets ridiculous. To demonstrate, I tuned so low my string was flopping.

Recorded on my Ibanez RG8. tongue.gif

https://soundcloud.com/fireball100/drop-x

Totally a joke, I know. I just recorded it last night to drive a point across. And I tend to wanna tune really low, but then it gets so unmusical and more percussive. biggrin.gif

-Brandon

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 16)
Zaek
Jul 20 2013, 07:35 PM
GMC:er
Brutal!! \m/

The lowest tuning I've ever played on a guitar that was not a bartitone is Drop A.

What exactly is drop X? tongue.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Zaek: Jul 20 2013, 07:36 PM

+Quote Post
thefireball
Jul 20 2013, 07:42 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Zaek @ Jul 20 2013, 12:35 PM) *
Brutal!! \m/

The lowest tuning I've ever played on a guitar that was not a bartitone is Drop A.

What exactly is drop X? tongue.gif

Drop X is something I made up. haha Some people say Drop Z. Basically, just being silly since the notes in music only range from A to G.

I have played pretty low on my 8 string - like Drop E. But that's about as low as you can go without being inaudible, unless you have good equipment and thick strings.

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jul 20 2013, 09:26 PM
Congratulations you just joined MESHUGGAH and PERIPHERY in one audition smile.gif Good stuff! smile.gif

QUOTE (thefireball @ Jul 20 2013, 02:05 PM) *
Pretty low...and then it gets ridiculous. To demonstrate, I tuned so low my string was flopping.

Recorded on my Ibanez RG8. tongue.gif

https://soundcloud.com/fireball100/drop-x

Totally a joke, I know. I just recorded it last night to drive a point across. And I tend to wanna tune really low, but then it gets so unmusical and more percussive. biggrin.gif

-Brandon

+Quote Post
Taka Perry
Jul 20 2013, 11:52 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (thefireball @ Jul 21 2013, 04:42 AM) *
Drop X is something I made up. haha Some people say Drop Z. Basically, just being silly since the notes in music only range from A to G.

I have played pretty low on my 8 string - like Drop E. But that's about as low as you can go without being inaudible, unless you have good equipment and thick strings.

And a properly adjusted truss rod wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jul 21 2013, 08:28 AM
Instructor
Brutal Brandon hits us with his low stringed fury biggrin.gif Awesome dude - loved it and I definitely think that with a little processing this could make up for a great part in a song. Give it a try, deal?

+Quote Post
audiopaal
Jul 21 2013, 10:59 AM
Competitions Coordinator - Up the Irons
Hehe, cool stuff smile.gif
I think I'll stick to standard E and D tuning myself tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Taka Perry
Jul 21 2013, 12:50 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (audiopaal @ Jul 21 2013, 07:59 PM) *
Hehe, cool stuff smile.gif
I think I'll stick to standard E and D tuning myself tongue.gif

Me too. I use 9-42's and they get pretty 'floppy' if I go under Drop D

--------------------

+Quote Post
audiopaal
Jul 21 2013, 01:11 PM
Competitions Coordinator - Up the Irons
QUOTE (Taka Perry @ Jul 21 2013, 01:50 PM) *
Me too. I use 9-42's and they get pretty 'floppy' if I go under Drop D

I use 11 - 48 and don't go under D, so I can imagine it would be hard to go lower on 09 - 42.
What styles are you into? smile.gif

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Jul 21 2013, 01:20 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
Heheheh this actually sounds very cool to me!
You should make a song out of it, it will be "technically" original smile.gif

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
thefireball
Jul 21 2013, 01:40 PM
Learning Roadie
Haha guys i might make it a song, but I don't even know if it was a note anymore! laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Jul 23 2013, 12:54 AM
Instructor
Hah aha ha hah aha ha ha ha ! biggrin.gif

This sound like a guitar making poo biggrin.gif Lowest tune that was still usefull was drop A and G but with Ernie Balls 13-72 strings smile.gif

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jul 23 2013, 01:52 AM
Instructor
haha drop X! Nice tuning! Once I used dropped B, it was very heavy! but not as much as this sample. biggrin.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
thefireball
Jul 23 2013, 04:02 AM
Learning Roadie
biggrin.gif I normally don't go below Drop E. and that's with Ernie Ball 10-74.

+Quote Post
Taka Perry
Jul 23 2013, 07:21 AM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (audiopaal @ Jul 21 2013, 10:11 PM) *
I use 11 - 48 and don't go under D, so I can imagine it would be hard to go lower on 09 - 42.
What styles are you into? smile.gif

The main styles I play would be progressive rock and post-rock. I'm a big fan of instrumental music.

That being said, I love a lot of genres, and sometimes really get a hankering to play Periphery or Meshuggah or other heavy bands :S

Maybe in the distant future I will get a 7/8 string biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Jul 23 2013, 08:51 AM
Instructor
What for? Just buy a bass tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jul 24 2013, 01:27 AM
DARIUS: Surely you've played at least one ERG instrument before? Maybe one of the HUFSCHMID ones? If not, they are really worth a try. It opens up an entirely new territory smile.gif

QUOTE (Darius Wave @ Jul 23 2013, 03:51 AM) *
What for? Just buy a bass tongue.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 05:19 AM