Upgrade My Daw
N4085B
Dec 29 2008, 05:11 AM
GMC:er
Hey guys,
I'm in the process of trying to upgrade my music pc. I've currently got two seagate 80 gig sata hard drives that are almost full! Each hd is partitioned into two 40gig partitions; hd #1 drives "c", "d", and hd #2 is drive "e", "f" with the dvd burner as drive "g". Drive "c" is the OS (win xp pro w/srvc pack1) and the asstd programs like Sonar, Reason, Waves, etc. Drive "d" is the project folders for the different programs. Drive "e" is the samples for progams like Atmosphere, DFH, Reason, etc. And drive "f" is for working on projects like vegas video and converting my vhs tape collection into dvd (very large files). I just purchased EZ drummer and upgraded to Guitar Rig3....and putting those two programs almost fills up my "c" drive completely!
My idea is to replace the two 80gig hd's with two 160 gig hd's partitioned into 2) 80 gig partitions each..but the sticky point is how to "image" my existing drives onto the bigger drives without having to reload everything..if its possible.
This computer is not connected to the internet (on purpose!) so its a pain in the a$$ to reauthorize my apps.
Any ideas would be appreciated!
Also Guitar rig 3 says requires srvc pack2...my system is running great as is with srvc pack 1..I really don't want to screw it up with srvc pack 2 if I don't have to!

Jess

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by N4085B: Dec 29 2008, 05:15 AM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
kahall
Dec 29 2008, 05:24 AM
Learning Roadie
You can image the drive "C" to a new one using Norton Ghost. There is some trickery to get the total space on the new drive to be usable, or that is the way I remember it from the last time I used it, but it works great. Plenty of support online as to how to use it properly.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Had a guitar hanging, just about waist high, and we are going to play these things until the day we die.

+Quote Post
Ramiro Delforte
Dec 29 2008, 05:30 AM
Instructor
Norton Ghost or any similar program would be what you need.
Here in Argentina they use those programs in the stores where you rent a PC to navigate. Imagine that if they have like 30 PC it's a pain in the back to reload every time one computer gets a virus or something.

--------------------
Check out my Instructor Profile and Board

LIVE VIDEO CHATS EVERY MONDAY AROUND 22PM (GMC HOUR)

+Quote Post
N4085B
Dec 29 2008, 05:41 AM
Thanks for the quick replies! I do have Norton ghost 2003 as part of an old Norton utlilities program but never used it before. I still have to format and partition the 2 new drives first.... Keep the ideas coming!

Jess

+Quote Post
fatb0t
Dec 29 2008, 02:01 PM
Don't buy 160 gb drives, buy 500 GB drives - they're incredibly cheap. If you get 120gb you'll have to upgrade again.

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Dec 29 2008, 02:03 PM
Moderation Policy Director
A couple of points:

1. Why only 160Gb? That's still pretty small by today's standards - for an extra $40 or so you can get from 160Gb to 750Gb, like this one here:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16822148134

As you have found out, disk space is valuable, and with a couple of 750Gb disks instead of a couple of 160Gb disks, for an extra 80$ you would be set for a very long time.

2. It varies from application to application, but some licensing schemes use hard drive IDs as part of their machine ID. Its possible that even if you image the drives you may need to re-authorize some of your software ... sorry sad.gif

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Dec 29 2008, 02:25 PM
Instructor
I'm with Andrew 100%. Price of HDs is now very low, and it is not efficient to get 160GB HD now - they are among the pricier ones when you look at $/MB ratio!

I would say 500GB is the best buy now, but you can easily go to 750 as Andrew suggested. In general, I would always prefer to have 2 separate HDs, so one serves for audio recording, and the other one for video recording. This would avoid potential crashes.

If you do decide to do image transfer to another disk I advise that you investigate IN DETAIL about the image software abilities and help file and look on the internet if anyone had any problems. Also burn some backup DVDs just in case - you never know..

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
opeth.db
Dec 29 2008, 02:52 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
Also for performance issues with specific DAW's its better to have a separate drive for recording rather than using the system disk to run windows and record.

I recomend getting 2 physical HD's. I would go this route.

2 of these. 1 for your O/s and one for recording.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16822152052

Also you create redundancy with 2 physical HD's. Don't get me started about RAID configurations smile.gif

This post has been edited by opeth.db: Dec 29 2008, 02:55 PM

--------------------
My Gear
Ibanez RG570 Silver
Jackson Ofset V Randy Rhodes Signature
Mitchell Acoustic
Custom Ibanez S series (Currently working on)
X2 XDS95 Digital Wireless system
Line 6 MKII
8 Channel USB Roland Mixer

My Site
www.shredwork.com

Learn how to count. It's what separates the hack and the pros IMHO. -LCSDDS

+Quote Post
N4085B
Dec 30 2008, 12:49 AM
Great ideas guys!. I got two of the 160 gig drives because thats all they had in stock locally...I wanted at least 2) 250 gig and prefered 2) 500gig. I'll try and exchange these hopefully. Are you guys suggesting putting just the OS on the "c" partition and all the other apps on another partition on the same physical drive or another partition on a separate physical drive. The way I've got it set up now is that the OS as well as the music apps are on the "c" partition with the project folders in another partition on the same physical drive "d" and the samples for the vst's on a seperate physical drive "e" for faster access.
Thanks again!

Jess

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Dec 30 2008, 01:28 AM
Instructor
What I do is have two HDs:

HD 1: has two partitions: C and D.
- C is the system partition and there are all installed apps, and plugins.
- D is the audio projects partition, and there audio data is stored

HD 2: has one partition: E
- E serves as video files storage, and samples for bulky VST Instruments.

Ideally, I would like to have 3 separate HDs (without RAID sequencing):

1. Raptor HD for system
2. 500GB for audio
3. 750GB for Video & VST samples
4. empty HD slot for future upgrade

PS I would advise to keep the Windows and program files, including VST folder on the same partition and keep everything else on other partitions (SPECIALLY sample banks for VSTs!). Also, I suggest you keep My Documents folder and Desktop folder empty (shortcuts can help you with that).

This post has been edited by Ivan Milenkovic: Dec 30 2008, 01:33 AM

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
N4085B
Dec 31 2008, 12:00 AM
That's a good plan Ivan..I think I'm going to re-arrange my stuff in a similar fashion.

While I'm waiting for the bigger drives to get here I stumbled across a technique that I'm sure some of you already knew about...but if not, its a great way to free up some space. I turned off the restore function...what this does is gets rid of all your old restore points. It freed up 2.5 gig on my "c" drive! Of course make sure you don't need those restore points first! I then restarted and turned the restore function back on and created a new restore point right then and there. Free space if you're in a crunch!..it actually freed up enough space (along with me getting rid of some old programs I was no longer using) and allowed me to install EZdrummer and the DFH addon as well as Guitar Rig 3.

The standard warnings apply: Try at your own risk!!!! biggrin.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 12:22 AM