Failures In Front Of An Audience, what did you fo wrong?
MickeM
Jul 1 2007, 10:02 PM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
EDIT: "do wrong". not "fo wrong". Think a typo is well in it's place for a thread like this biggrin.gif

(one of) Mine is one of these play max 15 minutes together with a bunch of several other bands competition (where the band with most friends/fans win).
We had made the soundcheck and us us guitarists had our own amps behind us and they were miked up so ther weren't very loud. In the monitors we heard the rest of the band but the main "monitor for us were our own amp.
About 3 seconds before the first song started our vocalist, who had a guitar aswell for this occacion turned up HIS volume and his amp was next to mine, resulting in that I didn't hear ANYTHING of what I was playing. blink.gif

So the entire first song I played on "feel" which went pretty well except for one place where I was totaly lost and stummed the wrong chord and that really went through and sounded soooo wrong. (I had a recording of it to listen to afterwards) mellow.gif
It was Thin Lizzy's - Don't belive a word

So if you don't ruin it for yourself others will help you ruin it for you laugh.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by MickeM: Jul 1 2007, 10:04 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Pavel
Jul 1 2007, 10:55 PM
Instructor
I had only 2 live performances in a competition just like that (15 minutes per band). The first performance (on el.guitar ever) went amazing. The sound was just great, i didn't mess up even one note and it was so frikkin' awesome!!!

(You can hear those songs recorded in studio at www.stage.fm/darkshow)

Our next performance, same contest but a year later went like crap. The monitors didn't work at all, all i could hear were drums and bass. I messed up a couple of places just because i couldn't hear myself!!! And what drove me MAD the most - we left our best song for the end and the guy who was rolling the whole contest told us to get off the stage because they started the concert too late and he had to cut our time!!

When i came outta building i said: "F*** it! Who cares..."

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
"It isn't how many years you have been playing, it's how many hours." -- Prashant Aswani

"PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE!" -- Michael Angelo Batio

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

+Quote Post
Robin
Jul 1 2007, 11:20 PM
GMC:er
I can only remember 3-4 gigs where we have had real sound. Usually the guitar is totally gone, noone can hear it. Not even the audience, even when we say to the sound crew that the guitar need to be really high, also in the monitors. Everything get different from the soundcheck to the gig itself tongue.gif And since I'm the only guitar player this is important. I can only hear myself trough the amp.
The ride on the drums sounds like a god damn regular crash or soemthing, and the bass is a soup. So we do mistakes when we play. On fast blastbeats it is hard to follow the rythm becuase of the ride.

Sorry for the boring story, we just do regular boring mistakes I guess tongue.gif
I'll edit my post if I come to think of some more fun mistakes smile.gif

(Also, this must be the greatest idea for a topic ever!)

This post has been edited by Robin: Jul 1 2007, 11:21 PM

+Quote Post
Smikey2006
Jul 2 2007, 12:38 AM
Mine is a great mix up biggrin.gif start of the set... luckily small crowd.. singer tells me we are starting with "without a sound" drummer says " blood moon" I say... WHICH 1... i hear the drum sticks tap 3 times and i start playing the intro to "Fight or Flight" just to get them to stop for 3 seconds to tell me the bloody song biggrin.gif was embarassing but as soon as i did it sam just turns and yells WITHOUT A SOUND because he forgot to announce it anyways biggrin.gif and then drummer 3 taps again and we go smile.gif ive had my share of little ones but that was my biggest and favorite

--------------------
Schecter Exotic Star+ Peavey VK
Ibanez Xiphos 707 + Krank Revolution 100
Damien 7

Wishlist
Schecter Customshop
Schecter 2008 Blackjack
Damage Control Timeline Delay Pedal/Distortion
a laptop that runs protools :'(

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
Jul 2 2007, 03:24 AM
Fire Up The Blades, Moderator
Me and my band were playing a rather short setlist, about 30 minutes, and we had one of our friends print up the setlist for all of us so we could tape it to the floor where we stood and see what we were supposed to play next, we only had like 5 minutes to pick the songs.

BUT...

He printed 2 of them wrong one of them being mine, When we went to play the 3rd song, me and the bass player started to play 3 Inches Of Blood's Deadly Sinners while the other guitarist and drummer started to play Nile's Annhilation Of The Wicked, now i must say that a guitar tuned down to Drop A doesnt sounds good with another tuned to Standard smile.gif

It only lasted like 5 seconds, kinda funny though, we straightened out and went along with the show.

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Jul 2 2007, 04:39 AM
Moderation Policy Director
One of our few paying gigs in a pub in Birmingham, we were playing some original songs and some covers. One cover was Somewhere in my Heart by Aztec Camera. Of course since it wasn't our stuff we didn't know it too well and somehow messed up the cue to go into the ending. So, there were no words left in the song, the singer was doing nothing, the rest of us just carried on playing through the chord sequence for the verse about 3 times through until the singer finally jumped in and sang the last bit again and this time we finished - phew!

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
MickeM
Jul 2 2007, 06:45 AM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
Me and a friend we're performing at a pub in Greece, tourist entertainment. It was the two of us, both with guitars, and MIDI backing tracks recorded on a mini-disc.
Pretty late in the last set, after numerous of Cuba Libre or Rum and Coke I saw this pretty chick really digging my rhythm to Black Crowes - Hard to handle so I decided to rip some extra stuff just for her. It's not a difficult songs but it so happened that when I was done showing off I just couldn't get back into the song but screwed it up totaly. My friend noticed how lost I was, both soberwise in the song and struck by the presence of a chick laugh.gif so he hit the STOP button to get a quick end to it.

My problem was that I was playing this very same song with my band and there we had adifferent arrangement of it so when I noticed I was lost, trying to get in, it was not the usual stuff but a different part of the song. I just couldn't do it before the music was killed. laugh.gif

P.S
The girl wanted to stay friends of this particular "rockstar" anyway rolleyes.gif tongue.gif laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Pantalaimon
Jul 2 2007, 06:52 AM
I was in a band for about a year and a half (as a vocalist) and we definitely had our share of screw-ups. On some occasions, the instruments would cut out early and I'd be left singing by myself (wow embarrasing). On several occasions our one guitarist would forget his part and just play/jam whatever he wanted to midsong. Many a time, my band would all be ass holes and start playing "Welcome to the Jungle" (which I can not sing because GNR vocals are crazy high and screamy and wierd), just to piss me off...then the crowd would be like "YEA PLAY WELCOME TO THE JUNGLE!!!!" and then I'd HAVE to sing it (or attempt to). It never went well.

We also covered The Sweetness by Jimmy Eat World many times, and most times we'd be way off timing (and the whole coolness of the song rides on good timing).

Our drummer broke his sticks on many occasions (without having a basket of sticks next to him), causing a good 5 seconds of drumless song.

I was 15-16 years old at that time, so I was going through puberty and my voice cracked a lot haha!

yea we were not that good. haha.

--------------------
My Gear:
~Schecter C-1+ (black cherry) w/ Duncan Designed PUs, EB Super Slinky strings
~Fender Mexican Stratocaster (black) w/ stock PUs, EB Super Slinky strings
~Jasmine by Takamine acoustic (kinda crappy - $90)
~Fender Frontman 25R amp.
~Jekyll & Hyde Ultimate Overdrive pedal
~Dan-Ecko pedal

+Quote Post
brandon
Jul 2 2007, 06:12 PM
The dumbest thing I think I've ever done onstage was at my old bands CD release party. We had all had a good amount to drink that night and we were all pretty into it. We were in the middle of one of our songs and our singer started swinging the mic....I wasn't really paying attention to him and I walked right into it. It almost knocked me out and I remember stumbling around on stage trying to play again, but what I started playing was definitely not the right song. It felt like it took me forever to get everything back together and start playing again...but it was probably only a few seconds. When I got off stage some of the guys from the bar had an ice pack ready for me.

The second thing I can think of is I stepped on one of the guitarist's tuner pedals in the middle of a solo.....so it muted everything out and it took me a second to realize what I had done.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 12:17 AM