Employing Dynamics In Your Practice Routines, How to?
Ivan Milenkovic
Oct 29 2011, 01:23 PM
Instructor
A while ago, I started integrating dynamic picking into my playing routines in several ways:

For example: if I play a sequence of notes, I will practice them on 3 loudness levels: soft, medium and intense.

I noticed a good boost in picking dynamics after this in my regular playing. It's very important for a musician to learn how to make his passages "breathe". Employing these 3 levels while practicing on slower tempos, really helped me control the picking intensity.

Another interesting exercises is accenting some of the notes (for example, only arpeggiated notes over given chord) helps creating a good accent later on in playing.

Another interesting exercise is shifting accents within 4/4 measure, so that the accent/sequence always falls on different quarter.

Just some thoughts to share with you guys. If you have some similar observations on the topic, let us know, so we can learn from each other smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Oct 29 2011, 06:43 PM
Instructor
All of these exercises are CRUCIAL for the development of the expressive side of any musician! I usually practice this approach by playing classical music phrases and trying to play different notes at different dynamics. The second movement from Vivaldi's Winter - a very slow and melodic piece is one of my favorites for doing this! Give it a try and let me know what you think!

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Daniel Realpe
Oct 30 2011, 03:55 AM
Instructor
this is great advice! definitely something to take into account,

--------------------
Visit my:
INSTRUCTOR PROFILE

"If a composer could say what he had to say in words he would not bother trying to say it in music."
Gustav Mahler

Subscribe to my Youtube Channel here

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Oct 30 2011, 10:08 AM
Instructor
This is something I totally agree with you guys on.. Ivan you've gone one step better and explained some ways to practice this. It's a very important aspect of guitar playing.. dynamics within a phrase. smile.gif

+Quote Post
JD_
Oct 30 2011, 03:09 PM
Learning Roadie
great idea Ivan...on it

--------------------
ESP E2 VIPER CAMO,
ENGL INFERNO 100w,
TWO NOTES CAPTOR X

+Quote Post
MonkeyDAthos
Oct 30 2011, 04:41 PM
GMC:er
this is also a very cool subject to train in band situation. not only with guitar but all instruments.

This post has been edited by MonkeyDAthos: Oct 30 2011, 04:42 PM

--------------------
It's a proven fact that guitar faces have a bigger impact on tone than wood does.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 03:35 AM