Done With Lower End Guitars
Haas1mj
Jun 27 2007, 11:36 PM
GMC:er
Alright, so I just got my OLP John Petrucci Signature model in the mail and as usual i took it right up to this music place by my house to get it setup. Unfortuantely i get a call an hour later from the place telling me that it has a junk neck and the best thing to do would be to return it. I'm kinda dissapointed at this since i've been waiting for this guitar for a week, however after I send it back new shopping for a guitar begins. I guess i've learned my lesson from buying cheap guitars (the Petrucci OLP was only $350 US) and so i'm gonna step it up and set my price limit to $900. I already have a Les Paul and i'm looking for a good shred/Metal/Progressive guitar. I've been looking at Musiciansfriend.com but i am so clueless about metal/shred guitars. Obviously Ibanez has been my first choice but I don't really know anything about them. I'm looking for something with a nice thin neck and preferably Humbuckers. I'd greatly appreciate it if you guys could give me so info on these guitars and recommend some in the $600 -$900 US range. Thanks.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Haas1mj: Jun 27 2007, 11:37 PM

--------------------
Gear

Guitars:

Ibanez Rg 2550e
Epiphone Les Paul Standard (Seymour Duncan Pickups)
Fender Standard Telecaster (Fender Custom Shop Pickups)
Fender 50's Stratocaster (Seymour Duncan Pickups)
Amp/effects:
Line 6 PODxt Live
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
fkalich
Jun 27 2007, 11:50 PM
QUOTE (Haas1mj @ Jun 27 2007, 05:36 PM) *
Alright, so I just got my OLP John Petrucci Signature model in the mail and as usual i took it right up to this music place by my house to get it setup. Unfortuantely i get a call an hour later from the place telling me that it has a junk neck and the best thing to do would be to return it. I'm kinda dissapointed at this since i've been waiting for this guitar for a week, however after I send it back new shopping for a guitar begins. I guess i've learned my lesson from buying cheap guitars (the Petrucci OLP was only $350 US) and so i'm gonna step it up and set my price limit to $900. I already have a Les Paul and i'm looking for a good shred/Metal/Progressive guitar. I've been looking at Musiciansfriend.com but i am so clueless about metal/shred guitars. Obviously Ibanez has been my first choice but I don't really know anything about them. I'm looking for something with a nice thin neck and preferably Humbuckers. I'd greatly appreciate it if you guys could give me so info on these guitars and recommend some in the $600 -$900 US range. Thanks.

based on what everybody has said here, i would be looking at ibanez. there was one that Andrew asked about, it came in a through neck and an attached neck. The attached neck was about your price level. Maybe if Andrew reads this he can tell you what he thinks of that (he ended up getting a $2,200 Vai Ibanez). I don't think the through neck is important, i have a Gibson Firebird, it does not increase sustain (although i like the firebird). Actually a Firebird V makes a good shred guitar, but not the guitar de jour around here. And they cost more than you want to spend. But they are cool (if you don't mind a heavy neck).

This comes from a guy who plays a les paul and has little desire to get such a guitar, so i am impartial.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Jun 28 2007, 12:18 AM
Moderation Policy Director
QUOTE (fkalich @ Jun 27 2007, 06:50 PM) *
based on what everybody has said here, i would be looking at ibanez. there was one that Andrew asked about, it came in a through neck and an attached neck. The attached neck was about your price level. Maybe if Andrew reads this he can tell you what he thinks of that (he ended up getting a $2,200 Vai Ibanez). I don't think the through neck is important, i have a Gibson Firebird, it does not increase sustain (although i like the firebird). Actually a Firebird V makes a good shred guitar, but not the guitar de jour around here. And they cost more than you want to spend. But they are cool (if you don't mind a heavy neck).

This comes from a guy who plays a les paul and has little desire to get such a guitar, so i am impartial.

laugh.gif Yes, I was looking at various Ibanez's - the Prestige line are where the really good quality kicks in - heres a link:

I was looking at the RG2550 - at $879 it is right in your price range. Kris has one of these, and to be honest they are basically the same as a Jem (but no as cool looking IMO!)

These guitars are made in Japan (not Korea) and generally reckoned to be better than standard Ibanez RG models such as the 350 - although most people who have 350s swear by them (Pavel had a 350 before his Jem I believe).

You will not go wrong with an RG prestige - and I no longer think the thru neck is that important.

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
jackson-ripper
Jun 28 2007, 12:18 AM
i'm jackson gum-dipped!!!

+Quote Post
Smikey2006
Jun 28 2007, 06:41 AM
When the word Shred is used only 3 brands really come to mind in my opinion smile.gif. Ibanez is number 1, great thin bodies nice sound, great action and i love the way they look, my only problem with the ibanez, and the reason i don't do too much research on them is they are very mainstream and therefore i kinda slouch away from playing what everyone else plays, GREAT GUITARS STILL, and many are very affordable.

Schecter is the second name that comes to mind, these are my favorite guitars, lots of choices, they are not guitars that scream shred when you see them but believe me they can shred. The C-1s are a great guitar from shred but you will be paying a bit more for them. For a reasonable price the Demon Series or the Omen series have great guitars which shred well and look cool at the same time smile.gif

The next name is the one from the post before, Jackson has a great lineup of guitars for Shred and metal. Many have thicker bodies than the ibanez but i believe these guitars really look more metal, lots of the duel humbucker setup and 24 jumbo frets which i find make them great shred guitars. The Soloist series would be my favorite for shred, if your looking for something a bit more unformal looking the King V and the Warrior series have a very different style to them ( flying V and more Warlock like looking) but are still great for shred.

Those are my ideas, all these brands have very reasonable prices guitars and are all very metal smile.gif
I would have to say the Schecter is the best for diversity and Quality ( i play funk on my schecter as well as metal biggrin.gif)

--------------------
Schecter Exotic Star+ Peavey VK
Ibanez Xiphos 707 + Krank Revolution 100
Damien 7

Wishlist
Schecter Customshop
Schecter 2008 Blackjack
Damage Control Timeline Delay Pedal/Distortion
a laptop that runs protools :'(

+Quote Post
Pavel
Jun 28 2007, 09:23 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Andrew Cockburn @ Jun 28 2007, 01:18 AM) *
although most people who have 350s swear by them (Pavel had a 350 before his Jem I believe).

I had RG 370 DX and it was Korean but still a good guitar!

--------------------
"It isn't how many years you have been playing, it's how many hours." -- Prashant Aswani

"PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE!" -- Michael Angelo Batio

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

+Quote Post
MickeM
Jun 28 2007, 10:31 AM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
I agree with the previous speakers. Ibanez RG or Jackson, probably Schecter (never played one).
Perhaps some ESP or LTD models or Yamaha RGX would do the trick aswell.

I've got an Ibanez RG320 that was made in Indonesia. Works perfect!

And I prefer bolt on necks before neck through, since it comes off in case you need to repair or do something else

EDIT: And I find slated bodies more comfortable, I mean, they are not flat but slanted where you rest your picking arm.

This post has been edited by MickeM: Jun 28 2007, 10:34 AM

+Quote Post
Smikey2006
Jun 28 2007, 04:33 PM
The majority of jacksons are bolt on necks smile.gif and MickeM i would definatly recommend picking up a schecter next time your at a guitar shop that has one, they are unbelieveable guitars smile.gif

--------------------
Schecter Exotic Star+ Peavey VK
Ibanez Xiphos 707 + Krank Revolution 100
Damien 7

Wishlist
Schecter Customshop
Schecter 2008 Blackjack
Damage Control Timeline Delay Pedal/Distortion
a laptop that runs protools :'(

+Quote Post
kebsis
Jun 30 2007, 02:54 AM
At this point you all are probably starting to think I'm a sellbot for them smile.gif, but for 900 bucks you can get a sweet LTD ESP.

edit: Schecters are really sweet to, but I think they're more known for making solid mid-priced guitars. If you're gonna spend a grand the other brands here make better guitars in that pricerange imo.

This post has been edited by kebsis: Jun 30 2007, 02:55 AM

+Quote Post
SDMF75
Jun 30 2007, 03:21 AM
Go after the Schecter Hellraiser C1-FR. Built for Shredding and everything in between. $799 @ Musicians Friend or Guitar Center. I've got one and I love it! For the features and money you want find anything better IMO.

--------------------
Guitars - Schecter C1-FR Hellraiser Black Cherry
Ibanez Iceman w/ DiMarzio Super Distortion in the Bridge and DiMarzio Humbucker from Hell in the Neck
Xaviere XV-700 Cherry Sunburst (Les Paul copy)
Lyon Def Leppard Special Union Jack (to go under construction soon - 1st thing to be removed will be the Def Lep logo on the headstock and then off to change the pickups etc. - plays pretty well for a Target special)
Washburn KC-40 (in pieces and about to be re-painted)
Yamaha Classical Acoustic

Bass - Signed Gene Simmons Punisher Tobacco Sunburst #345 - Collector purposes only

Amp - Roland Cube 60, Roland MicroCube

Effects - Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah

Fat bottomed girls You make the rockin' world go round!!

+Quote Post
Owen
Jul 1 2007, 02:29 PM
Schecter's I find are mediocre guitars, personally I'd look at an Ibanez.

--------------------
Don't Panic.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 06:28 AM