Going To Get Myself A Computer., Any Tips?
IDontWantMyUsern...
Jun 27 2008, 09:29 PM
GMC:er
Hi ladies and gentlemen, I'm going to clean out my closet and leave my home to study at a music school in another town! biggrin.gif Unfortunately I don't have a computer myself, so I am going to buy one, but I want it to be ideal for making, working with and listening to music. Do you have any tips and opinions? I don't want to use more than about 10'000 Norwegian kroner, that means about 1800 U.S dollars. It should be mobile. smile.gif

Thanks in advance, Peter wink.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by IDontWantMyUsername: Jun 27 2008, 09:33 PM

--------------------
My stuff:

Ibanez S320
Marshall MG100HDFX half stack
Line6 PODxt
Digidesign Mbox Pro

Songs I'm writing down/learning at the moment:

Children of Bodom - Downfall

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Start new topic
Replies (1 - 19)
Hisham Al-Sanea
Jun 27 2008, 09:49 PM
Instructor
you need a fast CPU/big hard disk/1000-2000 Rams/creative sound card /DVD writer/G force VGA

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
BodomESP
Jun 27 2008, 10:16 PM
$1800 can get you a very nice computer these days at least in NA.

Hisham's right you want a nice fast CPU. Basically the biggest decision you have to make with the CPU is wether to go dual-core or quad-core. Quad-core definitely has the speed advantage but only in multi-threaded applications. Right now there's not many apps. out that support multi-threading, but they are becoming more and more popular, and in the near future I see all apps. being multi threaded. Also go with an Intel CPU not AMD. Intel is making the better faster CPU's at the moment.

Since it doesnt look like you'll be using the PC for gaming or any graphic work you can probably go with a cheaper graphics card and be just fine. But if you still want a decent graphics card that can run all the games out there now fairly well take a look at the GeForce 9600 GT, great card for the price.

Get at least 2 GB's of RAM too, that'a pretty much the minimum for PC's these days. Corsair makes really good RAM wink.gif

Also if your going to go with a Intel CPU get a motherboard with the P35 chipset. Trust me on this. smile.gif

And yeah since you'll be using this for music editing and stuff make sure you get a good sound card and a nice big hard-drive to store all those songs you'll be coming up with tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jun 27 2008, 10:33 PM
Instructor
If you wanna be mobile you need a laptop.

It must be a minimum:

Intel P35 chipset
Intel Core 2 Duo 2,4Ghz or equivalent. 6600 is a good model to consider at the moment
minimum 2 GB of RAM
minimum 250GB hard drive 500GB if you wanna play games, watch lot of movies and do video editing
GT9600 is a best buy at the moment if you care about graphics but you don't need a great one for latest games.
widescreen monitor at 20" is welcome, although 19" can also do the job.

as for the sound part

- buy separately a quality external USB of Firewire sound card. Recommend USB interface Toneport UX1
- buy good quality external speakers and / or headphones

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Jun 27 2008, 10:35 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
When you say mobile you mean like a laptop ?? Or you will be buying a desktop ? Anyway , look out for a big hdd , lots of RAM (2gb+) and if its laptop to have different usb and firewire connections..You would want to add a some kind of recording interface to the story too wink.gif

This post has been edited by Bogdan Radovic: Jun 27 2008, 10:35 PM

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
IDontWantMyUsern...
Jun 28 2008, 03:41 AM
[quote name='BodomESP' date='Jun 27 2008, 11:16 PM' post='218705']
$1800 can get you a very nice computer these days at least in NA.

Does NA mean North America? Might be smart to buy a computer there as that's where I'm going on vacation biggrin.gif
And yes, I'm going to buy a laptop smile.gif
By the way I do also think I'm going to buy some kind of Midi-program or whatever it's called to make backing tracks. I've watched mostly ProTools-programs and such, but please come with tips here too. smile.gif

But OK... Here are the specifications you think the computer should have so far:

Intel DualCore processor 2,4 GHz
GeForce 9600 GT graphics card
Corsair 2GB RAM
Intel P35 Chipset
Minimum 250GB Harddrive (Wow... Are we evolving that fast? I think the one I'm using now has about 160 tongue.gif)
19" Monitor
Firewire External USB sound card
Toneport UX1 USB interface
External speakers (I have some from Logitech, but they're not very great. Any tips here?)

I don't know what half of this is but I'll figure it out (I think) huh.gif tongue.gif
Is there anything now that we've forgotten?
And by the way, what trademark should I choose? Do you know of any computers with these specifications?
What stores are the best pricewise?

This does really start to look like one of my schoolbooks with all these questions dry.gif laugh.gif

Thanks again
Peter wink.gif

--------------------
My stuff:

Ibanez S320
Line6 PODxt
Digidesign Mbox Pro

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jun 28 2008, 03:00 PM
Instructor
That's good enough man. But you don't need firewire interface because Toneport is USB interface. You don't need 2 interfaces to work with audio, on is enough

--------------------

+Quote Post
kjutte
Jun 28 2008, 05:05 PM
QUOTE (IDontWantMyUsername @ Jun 27 2008, 10:29 PM) *
Hi ladies and gentlemen, I'm going to clean out my closet and leave my home to study at a music school in another town! biggrin.gif Unfortunately I don't have a computer myself, so I am going to buy one, but I want it to be ideal for making, working with and listening to music. Do you have any tips and opinions? I don't want to use more than about 10'000 Norwegian kroner, that means about 1800 U.S dollars. It should be mobile. smile.gif

Thanks in advance, Peter wink.gif

Buy an external Emu creative card. I'm very satisfied with mine, cost only 1300NOK.
PC, don't have to spend alot. all pc's come with 2.5ghz and 2gb ram nowdays!

+Quote Post
IDontWantMyUsern...
Jun 29 2008, 05:18 PM
QUOTE (kjutte @ Jun 28 2008, 06:05 PM) *
Buy an external Emu creative card. I'm very satisfied with mine, cost only 1300NOK.
PC, don't have to spend alot. all pc's come with 2.5ghz and 2gb ram nowdays!

What is an Emu Creative card? tongue.gif Is it for graphics or is it a soundcard? I feel so stupid right now... dry.gif

--------------------
My stuff:

Ibanez S320
Line6 PODxt
Digidesign Mbox Pro

+Quote Post
kjutte
Jun 29 2008, 05:23 PM
QUOTE (IDontWantMyUsername @ Jun 29 2008, 06:18 PM) *
What is an Emu Creative card? tongue.gif Is it for graphics or is it a soundcard? I feel so stupid right now... dry.gif

'Creative E-MU Tracker' pro is the one I have.

http://www.emu.com/

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jun 29 2008, 06:54 PM
Instructor
EMU tracker is truly a great device. But after that you need some money for a software guitar modeller, and Toneport comes bundled with a very good one as opposed to Amplitube LE that has little features.

But I must say that sound quality with EMU is better.

--------------------

+Quote Post
kjutte
Jun 29 2008, 09:31 PM
QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ Jun 29 2008, 07:54 PM) *
EMU tracker is truly a great device. But after that you need some money for a software guitar modeller, and Toneport comes bundled with a very good one as opposed to Amplitube LE that has little features.

But I must say that sound quality with EMU is better.

I have a Marshall TSL for preamp.

If he doesn't have a preamp I bet you're right on with Toneport.
Amplitube sucks! + you need appleware to make it go realtime.

+Quote Post
IDontWantMyUsern...
Jun 30 2008, 03:29 AM
If you're talking about Line 6 Toneport I do already have a Podxt smile.gif

--------------------
My stuff:

Ibanez S320
Line6 PODxt
Digidesign Mbox Pro

+Quote Post
Juan M. Valero
Jun 30 2008, 05:50 AM
Instructor
If you want to work with VSTs and to play a MIDI keyboard go for a high RAM, minimum 2 GB smile.gif

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jun 30 2008, 10:20 AM
Instructor
If you already have PODxt I think you can use it as your ASIO sound card. You don't need Toneport then. You only need software now - DAW & a couple of VST's. AS Juan wrote (and I agree), if you wanna work decently with VST's you will need a small MIDI keyboard. If you are not a keyboard player I suggest only 2 octave one.

--------------------

+Quote Post
IDontWantMyUsern...
Jun 30 2008, 04:21 PM
I don't know what a DAW or a VST is, but I have magazine here that I've been looking through where I found something interesting. It's a pack from M-Audio with ProTools M-Powered and a midi-controller called Ozonic. Does this come with midi patches or does that come separately? Any experiences with it?

Another midi-controller is Axiom. Is it compatible with ProTools M-Powered?

Questions, questions, questions... tongue.gif

--------------------
My stuff:

Ibanez S320
Line6 PODxt
Digidesign Mbox Pro

+Quote Post
2mazzo
Jun 30 2008, 04:51 PM
This is the one I would go 4: http://www.komplett.no/k/ki.aspx?sku=349316
Thoshiba comes with a quad core soon, the qosmio g50, so if you can hold on for a while and save up another 5000 - 10000 nok you can buy this one smile.gif
http://explore.toshiba.com/laptops/qosmio/G50

--------------------
Guitars: ESP M-I/FR
Schecter Hellraiser C-1
Schecter Hellraiser C-7
Ibanez AEF37E Acoustic
Kimbara Classical

Amp: Kustom Quad 100DFX 100watt 2x12" Combo

Gear: Line6 Pod XT Live with all model packs

Midi controller: M-Audio Ozone

Software: RiffWorks, Cubase SX, Cubase Sequel and Guitar Pro 5.

+Quote Post
IDontWantMyUsern...
Jun 30 2008, 09:36 PM
[quote name='2mazzo' date='Jun 30 2008, 05:51 PM' post='220031']
Thoshiba comes with a quad core soon, the qosmio g50, so if you can hold on for a while and save up another 5000 - 10000 nok you can buy this one smile.gif

I don't think I'll be able to save up that as I'm probably going to get a midi-program in addition to the computer dry.gif
Though, the other computer you showed me, Acer Aspire 6920G, looked a little interesting, what do you other guys think? (I'm not sure if I wrote the name of the computer correctly tongue.gif )

--------------------
My stuff:

Ibanez S320
Line6 PODxt
Digidesign Mbox Pro

+Quote Post
Freebird
Jun 30 2008, 10:30 PM
Whao!!! All that money... For a computer??? biggrin.gif great you can buy a monster.
The actual crucial decision is that you want it portable: that restricts many possibilities, but lets try wink.gif
Obviously it won't be a VERY portable one with all the features you want (it'll be heavy)

I suggest you get a dual core processor, as fast as you desire (look for online benchmarks to see who's fastest). Quad core wouldn't be useful, because most applications don't use it...
RAM... well all of them have 2 gigabytes or more now so no problem, especially on the high end segment. For that price you'll even find 4 gigs!
Hard Drive... I suggest not to search for the biggest storage as laptop disks are small, slow and expensive... I guess 160gbytes is the norm now. You can get an external 3,5 inch together smile.gif
Sound card.... Well, sound cards installed in laptops are usually ok for listening, bad for producing (they throw all the hard work at the CPU). You'll need an external audio board, with ASIO support (this minimises latencies) and a lot of plugs for your equipment smile.gif

I don't think anything else is important... I don't think you need a fancy expensive graphics card for audio producing, but you might ending up buying one, because most high end pcs have it (to run vista's aero)

Oh yes.... If you want to run XP on it, see if its supported and if you can find drivers, if not you'll have to stick to vista.

Hope it was helpful biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
IDontWantMyUsern...
Jun 30 2008, 11:23 PM
QUOTE (Freebird @ Jun 30 2008, 11:30 PM) *
Hope it was helpful biggrin.gif

That was VERY helpful! biggrin.gif Thanks alot!

--------------------
My stuff:

Ibanez S320
Line6 PODxt
Digidesign Mbox Pro

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 11:02 AM