Matt's Guitar Cv
Matt23
Sep 1 2009, 05:23 PM
Accomplished Tone Master
Here's my guitar CV. If you need to know anything else just ask.

Favourite Artists (no particular order):

Guthrie Govan
Joe Satriani
Ozzy Osbourne (Randy Rhoads era)
Steve Reich
Steve Vai
Andy Mckee
Iron Maiden
Rush
Dream Theater
Killswitch Engage

I also like quite a lot of Jazz, but I don't really know the names of many artists yet. Nick Kellie's album "For a Brother" is the only Jazz album I own, and I also really like John Coltrane. I especially like Bossa Nova.

Another style I really like but I don't know many artists from is Celtic. I like quite a lot of Celtic traditional songs, but I don't really mind who plays them.

I like quite a lot of 20th century music, and some classical (mainly romantic period but some classical and baroque as well).

Favourite Songs (no particular order):

Joe Satriani – Surfing with the Alien, Summer Song
Guthrie Govan – Rhode Island Shred, Fives, Ner Ner
Steve Vai – Building the Church, For the Love of God
Killswitch Engage – Rose of Sharyn
Megadeth - Hangar 18
Steve Reich – City Life (especially the first movement)
Ozzy Osbourne – Crazy Train
Muris Varajic – Final Dance
Eric Johnson - Cliffs of Dover
Dream Theater - Metropolis
Rush - YYZ, The Spirit of Radio
Random Stuff – Moonlight shadow (Mike Oldfield), Time to say Goodbye (no idea), I Dreamed a Dream (les miserables), Blue Bossa (no idea)
Celtic – Ten Penny bit, Loch Lomond, Flower of Scotland.

Strengths: I’m probably not the right person to talk about my strengths and weaknesses, but I’ll try. I think my biggest strength is sweep picking. I might not be brilliant at it now (3nps arpeggios 16th triplets at 100bpm), but when I started learning it, it came to me far more naturally and quickly than any other technique. I have been told that my bending technique is good as well. I think my vibrato is decent, and I have control over it speed and width wise, and I know how to do it with every finger. I also think I have quite good theory knowledge. I think I also have a decent ear, as I can recognise all the modes, and pentatonic, whole tone scales, All the intervals but not absolutely consistently, and Augmented, diminished, major, minor, major 7th, minor 7th, dominant 7th, minor major 7th, and suspended chords.

Weaknesses: My biggest weakness is probably alternate picking. I can play plain 3nps scale shapes in 16th triplets at 110bpm, 120bpm in bursts, but it took me a lot of time and effort to get there. I think my biggest problem with alternate picking is that I can’t pick fast enough to play any faster.
My other main weakness is chordal playing. This is just because I’ve spent a lot more time on single notes and power chord stuff, than anything with complex chord shapes.

Goals: My overall goal with the guitar is to keep developing my technique and musical ability, by learning Rock/Metal lessons on GMC. I feel that this has been going pretty well so far, without the mtp, so that isn’t what I want to learn from the mtp.

What I want to learn from the MTP is how to play Jazz and Fusion. I thought I could self teach myself to play Jazz with GMC, but when I put some up on the REC a while ago, it got lower marks than the rock stuff I was doing, which was at a much higher difficulty level, so I think I need some extra tuition to learn how to play Jazz.

My minor goals inside this main goal are as follows:

To get more theory knowledge.
To learn how to play Jazz right.
To learn more chord and scale shapes.
Ultimately to learn how to do complex Jazz improvisation
Anything else you think would help me learn to play Jazz well though, I would like to add to this list as I’m not sure what the best way to achieve my main goal is.

As I’m quite new to Jazz, I’m willing to play pretty much anything, but I prefer modern Jazz, Bossa Nova, and fusion, to more traditional kinds of Jazz at the moment.

Well that’s my guitar CV, and if you want to know anything else just ask.

Matt smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Matt23: Oct 10 2009, 05:52 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 1)
Pedja Simovic
Sep 1 2009, 06:09 PM
Instructor
This was perfect Matt!
I will do my best to help you with Jazz and Fusion as these are my main styles along Rock, Blues and Pop smile.gif
Lets keep fingers crossed and hope for the best wink.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 03:28 PM