The Talking Head On Lessons
fkalich
Aug 26 2008, 08:21 PM
GMC:er
Best case is it slows you down 30 seconds every time you want to review a section. And that is when the network/server is not slow. It adds nothing of use in any real sense, just gets in the way. I realize this is the trend for internet sites, to add useless crap, anything new. I have been playing for less than 2 years, and have not learned 100 lessons because I screwed around. Anything that is an impediment annoys me, even if it is wizz bag new neato keen stuff.

I mean no offense to Mr. Talking Head, whoever that is. I also have nothing personal against cockroaches.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Start new topic
Replies (1 - 19)
Eat-Sleep-andJam
Aug 26 2008, 08:35 PM
QUOTE (fkalich @ Aug 26 2008, 11:21 AM) *
Best case is it slows you down 30 seconds every time you want to review a section. And that is when the network/server is not slow. It adds nothing of use in any real sense, just gets in the way. I realize this is the trend for internet sites, to add useless crap, anything new. I have been playing for less than 2 years, and have not learned 100 lessons because I screwed around. Anything that is an impediment annoys me, even if it is wizz bag new neato keen stuff.

I mean no offense to Mr. Talking Head, whoever that is. I also have nothing personal against cockroaches.

Im assuming your talking about Andrew ? The Picture that reads the text for various lessons ?

You could just ignore it ? huh.gif

Welcome Back Old Fkalich....

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Eat-Sleep-andJam: Aug 26 2008, 09:08 PM

--------------------
Join Me On the Lyrics Board !

"Find something worth dying for...

...And live for it"
-The Uncreator

+Quote Post
kjutte
Aug 26 2008, 09:02 PM
QUOTE (fkalich @ Aug 26 2008, 09:21 PM) *

Oh stop it.

A wise guy would listen to the experienced.
Theory before the actual playing is nice. it's not like the playing clip would be any longer without the speech.

+Quote Post
Eat-Sleep-andJam
Aug 26 2008, 09:03 PM
QUOTE (kjutte @ Aug 26 2008, 12:02 PM) *
Oh stop it.

A wise guy would listen to the experienced.
Theory before the actual playing is nice. it's not like the playing clip would be any longer without the speech.

+1 Well Said.....

--------------------
Join Me On the Lyrics Board !

"Find something worth dying for...

...And live for it"
-The Uncreator

+Quote Post
DeepRoots
Aug 26 2008, 09:05 PM
Get to da Chopper!
Umm- yeh i guess you're talking about Andrew. So helping out another instructor with a voice over which means the student doesnt have to read all the text (or can do both at the same time) is an inconvenience to you?

Well, IMO- its great. Beats text on its own, beats audio on its own- then goes into the video of the guitar playing. Perfect i think.

I know that when i see Andrew's head in the corner that even more hard work (than usual) has been put into the lesson and for that i'm grateful.

Maybe you can use those "wasted" 30 seconds in a different way? Maybe pause the video before the speaking, let it load, click up another lesson, then you could fit another hundred lessons into your regime smile.gif

+Quote Post
sigma7
Aug 26 2008, 09:08 PM
haha ya i understand a lot better when someone speaks about it rather than reading it for sum reason. Especially in British? accents, i seem to learn more from those accents...? strange

--------------------

+Quote Post
fatb0t
Aug 26 2008, 10:03 PM
I don't particularily find the audio of the text to be useful either. it makes it hard for me to rewind to see what Muris is doing. Tho I must admit English accents are pretty sweet.

+Quote Post
fkalich
Aug 26 2008, 10:15 PM
Its less than useless. I like Andrew, but I am not afraid to say when something is useless. Actually worse than useless, it is an impediment. I have been told that before, in software I have engineered. At first you want to defend it, then you realize it is not useful, and just a complication, so you take it out. The principle is called KISS, for "Keep It Simple Stupid".

Regarding it not being an big issue. Well, it will be if the other teachers start using it. It will really slow people down. I mean if you are the type that learns 100 lessons a year, you don't want to fart around with that kind of thing all the time. Especially if it is on lessons where you have subtle rhythm nuances. Such as a lot of Gabriel's stuff. Or the more modern metal stuff. Stuff that has complex rhythms, where you have to listen over and over to get it.

+Quote Post
Juan M. Valero
Aug 26 2008, 10:21 PM
Instructor
mmm well, I think we should find a way to skip this intro. Then everybody will be happy, who likes it can watch it and who don't like it can skip it without spending a second wink.gif

+Quote Post
fatb0t
Aug 26 2008, 10:24 PM
I know what Fkalich is speaking of...It's call feature creep. Sometimes when desiging software you feel compelled to add and add features, as it turns out (after years of testing) this is a negative process and should be avoided. If you have something that is simple, elegant, and functional it shouldn't be messed with.

+Quote Post
DeepRoots
Aug 26 2008, 10:28 PM
Get to da Chopper!
Personally i love not having to read through all the text- and being able to just sit back and have the audio. Especially in something as long as the Jazz notes explanations- where i have the text for future referrence but can let Andrew do all the work of initially getting the info in my head.

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Aug 26 2008, 10:43 PM
GMC Founder
huh.gif I am quite surpised and a little dissapointed.

Fkalich you are mature enough to understand that this is certainly not an effective way of getting your opinion through.

Now since you have opened up this topic I would like to hear some valid arguments on why you think that having a different format on some of the lessons is a bad idea.

When presenting these arguments I would like you to think from a perspective that reprents GMC as a whole community - not just your own perspective. That is how Andrew [or any other person who is working on improving GMC, me for example] tries to think when coming up with new and hopefully useful features.

--------------------

+Quote Post
wrk
Aug 26 2008, 10:54 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (fkalich @ Aug 26 2008, 11:15 PM) *
Its less than useless. I like Andrew, but I am not afraid to say when something is useless. Actually worse than useless, it is an impediment. I have been told that before, in software I have engineered. At first you want to defend it, then you realize it is not useful, and just a complication, so you take it out. The principle is called KISS, for "Keep It Simple Stupid".

Regarding it not being an big issue. Well, it will be if the other teachers start using it. It will really slow people down. I mean if you are the type that learns 100 lessons a year, you don't want to fart around with that kind of thing all the time. Especially if it is on lessons where you have subtle rhythm nuances. Such as a lot of Gabriel's stuff. Or the more modern metal stuff. Stuff that has complex rhythms, where you have to listen over and over to get it.

Nobody expect from you to be afraid of Andrew, but to declare the effort and result from hours of work as useless is not really necessary in my opinion ... sad.gif

In one way i can understand what you mean, but i like the idea and it helped me a lot to be forced to listen to the theory explanation. I often would skip it otherwise with the excuse to have a look at it later.

btw ... if someone is that type to do 100 lessons per year, i would assume those subtle rhythm nuances wouldn't be a big deal

+Quote Post
fatb0t
Aug 26 2008, 10:55 PM
I love the way David does his lessons. He explains all the theory, scales, key information, EVERYTHING....super clear right in the beginning. It's nice, it's like a 5 minute relaxation before playing. He always gives you some advice and tips...Then once you know the details you can go and shred till your fingers fall off!

I also like when he does that because I hear him talk about the theory and stuff while i'm at work with no axe... a lot of it absorbs without even playing suprisingly...

This post has been edited by fatb0t: Aug 26 2008, 10:57 PM

+Quote Post
Praetorian
Aug 26 2008, 11:03 PM
Learning Apprentice Player & Challenge Star
Personally, I like Andrews explanation of the lessons. It helps to understand some of the theory behind the lesson. That way I learn more than just what notes to play next to each other...it helps me to understand WHY those notes are next to each other!

--------------------
Ben

Fender American Standard Stratocaster
Ibanez RG4EXQM1

+Quote Post
MickeM
Aug 26 2008, 11:13 PM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
Useless to some, helpful to others.

fkalich, if you move the left pointy arrow that's above the timeline you can have the section of Muris (in this case) playing reapeat between the arrows. So you don't have to repeat the theory speach all over again.

Repeating is accomplished (for now) by moving the arrow to the right just a fraction to the left.
Hope that helps.

+Quote Post
Fsgdjv
Aug 26 2008, 11:31 PM
What talking head are you talking about? I'm not big on checking out all the newest lessons all the time, so please, if anyone could link?

--------------------

+Quote Post
MickeM
Aug 26 2008, 11:36 PM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
QUOTE (Fsgdjv @ Aug 27 2008, 12:31 AM) *
What talking head are you talking about? I'm not big on checking out all the newest lessons all the time, so please, if anyone could link?

This one's got it. Check flick #1
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/solo-guit...-tune-beginner/

Couldn't it be useful to have the spoken theory part in a separate flick?

That way anyway who wants to loop Andrews theory lesson can simply get that done.

+Quote Post
Trond Vold
Aug 27 2008, 03:24 AM
Instructor
I quite like the "talking head". Personally, i dont see anything useless about it. Andrew's spoken comments are short, informative and very clear.

--------------------
Guitars: Schecter Stiletto Classic, Jackson SLSMG, Ibanez RG-380 Japan, Gibson Les Paul Studio

Amp: Marshall JMP-1 -> Rocktron Velocity 100 -> Marshall JCM-900 Lead 4x12

FX and stomps: T.C Electronics G-Sharp, Korg SDD-1200, Emma Transmorgrifier, BYOC Tribooster, GGG Green Ringer, Dinosaur Overdrive, Voodoo Lab SuperFuzz, Sovtek Bassballs, Line6 Tap Tremolo, EHX Screaming Bird.

My Instructor Board!

My Myspace!

+Quote Post
Tuubsu
Aug 27 2008, 04:25 AM
I must say I dislike the "talking head"-thingy too, but I wouldn't call it useless just based on my opinion(it is useless to me...) Personally it gets me really frustrated(my therapist adviced me to talk about my feelings...) , I think reading the EXACT SAME thing that Andrew says, is more easy to understand. I thinks it's a little silly because he says the, once again, EXACT SAME thing that is written down... But then again it's just my opinion and I guess 1 or 2 men can't make a difference...

But I agree with fatb0t, David has an excellent form for a lesson(the separate spoken vid).

(now I'm gonna leave my nick here at the end of this post, check it out!)

Tuubsu

--------------------
Anyone can learn to play fast, like anyone can learn to type quickly. But not everyone can write a book.
- Yngwie J. Malmsteen

Idols:

Jason Becker (ex-Cacophony, ex-David Lee Roth, Solo)
Marty Friedman (ex-Cacophony, ex-Megadeth, Solo)
Niccolo Paganini (Solo)
Eddie Van Halen (Van Halen....Duh!)
Frederic Chopin (Solo)

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 05:05 PM