Hybrid Picking Dilemma!
ConnorGilks
Dec 30 2012, 03:18 AM
GMC:er
Well, I suppose it's not a dilemma by definition... but I'm having trouble deciding on something. Let me explain...

For the past few years I had worked hybrid picking into my playing quite naturally over time (never really practiced it, just got quite good at it quite quick while goofing around), and I do pull it out on occasion to pull off some cool/unique licks or just to get a certain sound.

I feel like there's a lot more cool stuff I can do with it when it comes to licks and unique approaches to the guitar, but the reason I don't use it more is because I don't like the sound. Now, I do use hybrid picking because I feel that twang and aggression is necessary sometimes, so that's when I use it of course. But on the other hand I see guys like Brett Garsed, Guthrie Govan and Marshall Harrison that have amazing hybrid picking technique, where you don't get the twang, it's just a very soft attack.

Now of course I know it's partly the tone they use, but it's mostly technique from what I've heard from Harrison and Garsed. So here's my question, do I practice both types of hybrid picking where all the notes are uniform (same volume and attack, without the twang) and the aggressive country style hybrid picking, or should I just use a pick for the licks where I want an even sound? It's a bit tougher, but it's a much more even tone if I use a pick. It just requires more dexterity with my picking hand when it comes to playing the same licks.

Thoughts?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Dec 30 2012, 11:27 AM
Instructor
Well, I'm a great believer in the answer always lies in the question.

If I asked myself that question, it would prompt me to ask 'Well, what do I want it to sound like, not what should I sound like ?'

What sound do you prefer, Connor ? You're allowed to do whatever you want with the guitar, however you want to. Cut through all extraneous temptation of techniques and cut right through to the sounds that truly speak to you. Therein lies your answer. smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Dec 30 2012, 01:40 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (ConnorGilks @ Dec 30 2012, 02:18 AM) *
Well, I suppose it's not a dilemma by definition... but I'm having trouble deciding on something. Let me explain...

For the past few years I had worked hybrid picking into my playing quite naturally over time (never really practiced it, just got quite good at it quite quick while goofing around), and I do pull it out on occasion to pull off some cool/unique licks or just to get a certain sound.

I feel like there's a lot more cool stuff I can do with it when it comes to licks and unique approaches to the guitar, but the reason I don't use it more is because I don't like the sound. Now, I do use hybrid picking because I feel that twang and aggression is necessary sometimes, so that's when I use it of course. But on the other hand I see guys like Brett Garsed, Guthrie Govan and Marshall Harrison that have amazing hybrid picking technique, where you don't get the twang, it's just a very soft attack.

Now of course I know it's partly the tone they use, but it's mostly technique from what I've heard from Harrison and Garsed. So here's my question, do I practice both types of hybrid picking where all the notes are uniform (same volume and attack, without the twang) and the aggressive country style hybrid picking, or should I just use a pick for the licks where I want an even sound? It's a bit tougher, but it's a much more even tone if I use a pick. It just requires more dexterity with my picking hand when it comes to playing the same licks.

Thoughts?

I have the exact question as you do tongue.gif to myself and I also found the answer - to each situation, a specific solution smile.gif Use the pick when needed and use hybrid/ chicken pickin' where needed. In the end, it all comes down to what you want to obtain from your instrument in respect to the musical context where you are at that certain point wink.gif That's my approach smile.gif

+Quote Post
ConnorGilks
Jan 1 2013, 03:31 AM
See, it's not so much the sound... because I'm just trying to achieve a sound similar to my pick when hybrid picking, without the twang. I think it's more of "Do I want to put in the effort to play licks slightly easier by hybrid picking them softly, or do I want to do a bit more work and use my pick for those licks which will give me perfectly consistent tone, but make leaps harder.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jan 1 2013, 06:59 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (ConnorGilks @ Jan 1 2013, 02:31 AM) *
See, it's not so much the sound... because I'm just trying to achieve a sound similar to my pick when hybrid picking, without the twang. I think it's more of "Do I want to put in the effort to play licks slightly easier by hybrid picking them softly, or do I want to do a bit more work and use my pick for those licks which will give me perfectly consistent tone, but make leaps harder.

If you want the picking sound, well, buddy get to work and practice those big leaps using your pick only! smile.gif

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jan 1 2013, 08:57 PM
Instructor
I agree with the last Cosmin sentence. If you want to sound like a pick when you use your fingers, the only reason why you would use it is when you want to play to play 2 or more separated strings at the same time (for example a triad using strings 5 - 2 and 1).

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Javier Aviles
Jan 1 2013, 09:07 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (ConnorGilks @ Dec 30 2012, 02:18 AM) *

Thoughts?

Originally the guitar was played with the fingers, not with the pick. The electric guitar and modern techniques have changed that. But I think the pure music, classical, acoustic, no amps, is the most human sounding. I think using the hybrid picking give our instrument achieves a more human expression. I use it almost always helps me feel closer to my guitar, more in touch with her. How do you play it? As you want. When should you use it? When you feel like. The important thing is to get a personal sound of the guitar at all times. No rules, feel free to do so or not.

--------------------
Welcome to "The Long and Winding Road" as a musician... I hope my videos will help you to become a better one!
Click out my lessons and instructor profile.
Visit and subscribe to my Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
ConnorGilks
Jan 2 2013, 02:21 AM
Sorry, I should rephrase... it's more of a "uniform/legato" sound I'm going for than the sound of my pick.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jan 2 2013, 08:44 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (ConnorGilks @ Jan 2 2013, 01:21 AM) *
Sorry, I should rephrase... it's more of a "uniform/legato" sound I'm going for than the sound of my pick.

Than the answer lies in hybrid picking, does it not? smile.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 11:08 AM