9 Categories For Your Routine..., by Steve Vai
Gabriel Leopardi
Oct 5 2011, 06:14 PM
Instructor
Hey guys! We have been talking about the Steve Vai workout method but we have always new students here that want to know how develop an complete guitar routine... I think that the categories that Steve Vai enumerate in his 24 hours workout are really good to know all the topics that you should cover if you want to because a complete musician.

1. Exercises
2. Scales
3. Chords
4. Ear training
5. Sight-reading
6. Composing/songwriting
7. Music theories
8. Jamming
9. Rest

what do you think?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
AK Rich
Oct 6 2011, 02:51 AM
Learning Guitar Hero
24 hours workout!? blink.gif now thats the practice regimine of a total pro for you!And I thought 8 hours a day was alot laugh.gif But seriously I work on 1,2,3,7,8 and 9 but I have only dabbled in 4,5 and 6 unless you count improvisation as composing/ songwriting but that probably falls more along the lines of jamming I guess. So yeah more work on ear training, sight reading and composing/songwriting I guess. After all who would'nt want to Shred like the Via?

Rich.....

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Oct 6 2011, 08:48 AM
Instructor
Here's how I would tackle this smile.gif in a healthy and approachable way:

1. Exercises (choosing your favorite technique and working on it for about 30 minutes in combination with point number 2)

2. Scales (30 minutes - choose 1 scale and combine it with point number 1 - in that way, not only that you exercise the scale but you use different techniques on it!)

3. Chords (30 minutes - learn chords, their voicings and progressions fit for the scale you have chosen above)

4. Ear training (30 minutes - SING the intervals in the scale and the scale over the chords and progressions studied at point number 3, start from different notes in the scale or even skip notes)

5. Jamming (30 minutes - use the chord progressions you have discovered or learned and improvise over them using the chosen scale, its notes and intervals! Be creative, don't just play the scale over and over! Bend, vibrate, create little melodies and phrases! And groove! Create riffs and rhythms!)

6. Music theory - if you have studied points number 2, 3 and 4, you have probably seen how the things are built and how what sort of relationships are made between them! The theoretical aspects are very important so DON'T skip them.

7. Sight-reading - this is important as well, but you can live without it, unless you are planning to collaborate with people who rely heavily on this trait - i.e. writing arrangements for orchestras or complex musical ensembles.

8. Composing/songwriting - give yourself a few hours on this one! it's the most important of them all! Learn how to use your computer and DAWs , record guitars, write drum tracks, orchestrate and compose as much as possible!

9. Vocal study - learn how to use your voice smile.gif it'll grant unexpected qualities wink.gif do it 30 minutes/ even 1 hour every two days!

10. Rest - have one or even 2 days WITHOUT playing! The mind and body need time to arrange and assimilate information! smile.gif never forget this! Plus, it'll keep you fresh and always wanting more!

I think it's a doable routine for everyone smile.gif it's around 3-4 hrs a day (1 day - points 1-7 and the next points 8 and 9)

Monday 1 - 7

Tuesday 8 - 9

Wednesday 1 - 7

Thursday 8 - 9

Friday - off

Saturday 1 - 7

Sunday 8 - 9

I see this as an ideal routine smile.gif

What do you think?

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Oct 7 2011, 06:16 AM
Instructor
Yeah, great categorization, those are definitely the areas that a musician should work on, if on the way of becoming a pro. Sight reading is perhaps not so important, dunno.. I would also add arpeggios as another very important category.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Oct 7 2011, 07:40 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Oct 6 2011, 04:48 AM) *
Here's how I would tackle this smile.gif in a healthy and approachable way:

1. Exercises (choosing your favorite technique and working on it for about 30 minutes in combination with point number 2)

2. Scales (30 minutes - choose 1 scale and combine it with point number 1 - in that way, not only that you exercise the scale but you use different techniques on it!)

3. Chords (30 minutes - learn chords, their voicings and progressions fit for the scale you have chosen above)

4. Ear training (30 minutes - SING the intervals in the scale and the scale over the chords and progressions studied at point number 3, start from different notes in the scale or even skip notes)

5. Jamming (30 minutes - use the chord progressions you have discovered or learned and improvise over them using the chosen scale, its notes and intervals! Be creative, don't just play the scale over and over! Bend, vibrate, create little melodies and phrases! And groove! Create riffs and rhythms!)

6. Music theory - if you have studied points number 2, 3 and 4, you have probably seen how the things are built and how what sort of relationships are made between them! The theoretical aspects are very important so DON'T skip them.

7. Sight-reading - this is important as well, but you can live without it, unless you are planning to collaborate with people who rely heavily on this trait - i.e. writing arrangements for orchestras or complex musical ensembles.

8. Composing/songwriting - give yourself a few hours on this one! it's the most important of them all! Learn how to use your computer and DAWs , record guitars, write drum tracks, orchestrate and compose as much as possible!

9. Vocal study - learn how to use your voice smile.gif it'll grant unexpected qualities wink.gif do it 30 minutes/ even 1 hour every two days!

10. Rest - have one or even 2 days WITHOUT playing! The mind and body need time to arrange and assimilate information! smile.gif never forget this! Plus, it'll keep you fresh and always wanting more!

I think it's a doable routine for everyone smile.gif it's around 3-4 hrs a day (1 day - points 1-7 and the next points 8 and 9)

Monday 1 - 7

Tuesday 8 - 9

Wednesday 1 - 7

Thursday 8 - 9

Friday - off

Saturday 1 - 7

Sunday 8 - 9

I see this as an ideal routine smile.gif

What do you think?

yeah, I agree with this routine. I think that it's effective and at the same time healthy. biggrin.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Oct 7 2011, 03:02 PM
Instructor
What if you have gig on Saturday, and you come home tired at 6 in the morning. Who will practice composing and vocal study then?? biggrin.gif

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Oct 7 2011, 03:59 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ Oct 7 2011, 11:02 AM) *
What if you have gig on Saturday, and you come home tired at 6 in the morning. Who will practice composing and vocal study then?? biggrin.gif

hahaah our clon! tongue.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Oct 7 2011, 06:37 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Oct 7 2011, 02:59 PM) *
hahaah our clon! tongue.gif

tongue.gif you shift the days or....skip like a bad schoolboy laugh.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 06:47 AM