Dean Guitars
Erol
Feb 25 2008, 12:12 AM
GMC:er
Hi everyone!
I've played guitar for almost 2 years, and I have Ibanez Gio; It's from Ibanez Jumpstart series, just a simple, beginner's guitar smile.gif Anyway, I wanted to get myself a new one. I wouldn't rush with it though, time is on my side. I've seen one Dean guitar and fell in love with immediately.

Since I don't have much exp with guitar manufacturers, especially not with Dean, I wanted to hear second opinion before I've decided. So.. Does anyone have a Dean, and what are the impressions? Thanks.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Erol: Feb 25 2008, 12:12 AM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Pavel
Feb 25 2008, 12:14 AM
Instructor
Hey buddy! There is a topic on "opinions" here so check it out https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...showtopic=12019

Loads of opinions here - some are supported with facts, some are not but see it for yourself wink.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
"It isn't how many years you have been playing, it's how many hours." -- Prashant Aswani

"PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE!" -- Michael Angelo Batio

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

+Quote Post
Outlaw2112
Feb 25 2008, 12:16 AM
I have a good friend who has a dean and he loves it.. he has the hardtail usa in green... i dont have the money for one right now, but one day

http://www.deanguitars.com/home.php

This post has been edited by Outlaw2112: Feb 25 2008, 12:17 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Erol
Feb 25 2008, 12:21 AM
QUOTE (Pavel @ Feb 25 2008, 12:14 AM) *
Hey buddy! There is a topic on "opinions" here so check it out https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...showtopic=12019

Loads of opinions here - some are supported with facts, some are not but see it for yourself wink.gif

.. thanks for the advice. I'm new here, and I'm still trying to.. accustom. tnanks again smile.gif

+Quote Post
RIP Dime
Feb 25 2008, 05:56 AM
Hey man, I have a TEVO that is very similar to the model pictured there. It sounds very good for the price, and with a pickup change it now sounds great.

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post
KloCkWorXx
Feb 29 2008, 03:38 PM
i have a dean from hell and it kicks ass, its def my best guitar out of all them..and with the v neck n flat body totally comfortable to play for long time, my les paul hurts my arm for keeping it arched for long times..

--------------------
My gear:
epi zakk wylde
ec 1000 cherry
js 100 w dimarzios
dean from hell
5150 half stack
micro cube
Effects: boss delay dd-6, EH small clone chorus, Wylde Wah, Heil talkbox, Boss super overdrive, Rp 250
NS2 Noise Suppressor, DOD YJM308 Yngwie Malmsteen Overdrive

+Quote Post
Goliath
Feb 29 2008, 09:29 PM
Pavel you sure about your RC7 is MIJ? I finally got to see the back of a VMNT (Mustaine sig) and it is MIK. I figure'd it would be MIJ.

--------------------
"King V" enthusiast

+Quote Post
Guitarman700
Feb 29 2008, 10:00 PM
QUOTE (Goliath @ Feb 29 2008, 03:29 PM) *
Pavel you sure about your RC7 is MIJ? I finally got to see the back of a VMNT (Mustaine sig) and it is MIK. I figure'd it would be MIJ.

The VMNT is made in korea!? That makes me sick. dean has no shame.

--------------------
My Gear:
Guitars:
Fender Standard Stratocaster HSS
Jackson Dinky Custom
Washburn WG-587 7-String
LTD EX-50
Kramer Focus 6000
Amps:
Peavey Vypyr 30
Marshall MG10KK Kerry King 10 Watt

+Quote Post
Goliath
Feb 29 2008, 10:06 PM
What floors me is that his ESP LTD model was MIK and Neck Thru with practically the same specs as the VMNT and I got mine for $700 new off the shelf (once it was discontinued), and that wasn't the top shelf model. The VMNT is the top shelf model and is MIK w/ set neck and $999.

This post has been edited by Goliath: Feb 29 2008, 10:06 PM

--------------------
"King V" enthusiast

+Quote Post
Guitarman700
Feb 29 2008, 10:17 PM
QUOTE (Goliath @ Feb 29 2008, 04:06 PM) *
What floors me is that his ESP LTD model was MIK and Neck Thru with practically the same specs as the VMNT and I got mine for $700 new off the shelf (once it was discontinued), and that wasn't the top shelf model. The VMNT is the top shelf model and is MIK w/ set neck and $999.

there goes any chance of me buying one. for that kind of money it should be american made. dean sucks even harder in my eyes now.

--------------------
My Gear:
Guitars:
Jackson Dinky Custom
Washburn WG-587 7-String
LTD EX-50
Kramer Focus 6000
Amps:
Peavey Vypyr 30

+Quote Post
Pavel
Feb 29 2008, 11:12 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Goliath @ Feb 29 2008, 09:29 PM) *

Hey m8! Well, that's the info i got from Rusty smile.gif Part of guitar is made in J-Custom Shop, and part is made in USA.

--------------------
"It isn't how many years you have been playing, it's how many hours." -- Prashant Aswani

"PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE!" -- Michael Angelo Batio

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

+Quote Post
mattacuk
Mar 1 2008, 12:07 AM
Lets go fishing!
QUOTE (Pavel @ Feb 29 2008, 10:12 PM) *
Hey m8! Well, that's the info i got from Rusty smile.gif Part of guitar is made in J-Custom Shop, and part is made in USA.

Im sure it is a fine fine guitar man biggrin.gif

--------------------
mysql> SELECT * FROM master_name WHERE ((firstname = 'Paul') AND (lastname = 'Gilbert'));

"The Fundimental Difference between Paul Gilbert and Buckethead is that Paul Explores the Good side of the force, while Buckethead Explores the Dark Side of the Force" :)

+Quote Post
Owen
Mar 1 2008, 12:18 AM
QUOTE (Guitarman700 @ Feb 29 2008, 01:00 PM) *
The VMNT is made in korea!? That makes me sick. dean has no shame.

Whats so bad with korea? There's some decent guitars being made there these days.

I believe most of the Ibby S Series is made there as well as the aforementioned ESP's.

--------------------
Don't Panic.

+Quote Post
mattacuk
Mar 1 2008, 12:20 AM
Lets go fishing!
I agree Owen, just because a guitar is not made in the US it does not mean its not of high quality smile.gif

--------------------
mysql> SELECT * FROM master_name WHERE ((firstname = 'Paul') AND (lastname = 'Gilbert'));

"The Fundimental Difference between Paul Gilbert and Buckethead is that Paul Explores the Good side of the force, while Buckethead Explores the Dark Side of the Force" :)

+Quote Post
Guitarman700
Mar 1 2008, 12:27 AM
QUOTE (Owen @ Feb 29 2008, 06:18 PM) *
Whats so bad with korea? There's some decent guitars being made there these days.

I believe most of the Ibby S Series is made there as well as the aforementioned ESP's.

its a $1000 guitar, and deans advertising says its an "american series". dean charges more for less, it may be a decent guitar, but it wont be anything more. for that kind of money, i could get a nice american or japanese guitar.

--------------------
My Gear:
Guitars:
Jackson Dinky Custom
Washburn WG-587 7-String
LTD EX-50
Kramer Focus 6000
Amps:
Peavey Vypyr 30

+Quote Post
Owen
Mar 1 2008, 12:42 AM
QUOTE (Guitarman700 @ Feb 29 2008, 03:27 PM) *
its a $1000 guitar, and deans advertising says its an "american series". dean charges more for less, it may be a decent guitar, but it wont be anything more. for that kind of money, i could get a nice american or japanese guitar.

http://www.deanguitars.com/dave_mustaine.php

What VMNT are we specifically talking about here, as far as I can see theres no claims about the VMNT1 stating that it is american or the X for that matter.

You say that as if japanese or americans were really preferable these days, if Ibanez see's fit to make their high end S series in Korea and charge the same amount/more cash for a Korean guitar then in general there is GOOD quality control out there.

I feel that downing Korean manufacturers based on past assumptions is a bit rediculous.

I can see why you hate Dean though, and I agree that in some respects they have milked a few cashcows in the past few years - Dimebag models are a great example of this, but they're in no way more or less corporate than any other major guitar brand, they're all out to make money at minimum expense.

--------------------
Don't Panic.

+Quote Post
OrganisedConfusi...
Mar 1 2008, 12:49 AM
I think Korea can make good guitars and bad just like any country. I've played some amazing US guitars and some awful ones, some amazing Korean and some awful and some amazing japanese and some awful. I'm not a fan of Dean but they wouldn't use a low quality company to make it and I know they'll have tough quality control.

--------------------
Gear
Guitars:- Caparison Horus Snowcloud, Parker Nitefly M, Parker Nitefly SA, Gibson SG, Parker P10e, 40 Year Old Spanish Acoustic
Amps:- Framus Ruby Riot 2x12" stack

+Quote Post
Guitarman700
Mar 1 2008, 01:10 AM
QUOTE (Owen @ Feb 29 2008, 06:42 PM) *
http://www.deanguitars.com/dave_mustaine.php

What VMNT are we specifically talking about here, as far as I can see theres no claims about the VMNT1 stating that it is american or the X for that matter.

You say that as if japanese or americans were really preferable these days, if Ibanez see's fit to make their high end S series in Korea and charge the same amount/more cash for a Korean guitar then in general there is GOOD quality control out there.

I feel that downing Korean manufacturers based on past assumptions is a bit rediculous.

I can see why you hate Dean though, and I agree that in some respects they have milked a few cashcows in the past few years - Dimebag models are a great example of this, but they're in no way more or less corporate than any other major guitar brand, they're all out to make money at minimum expense.

i have several guitar mags which state " dave mustaine signature series vmnt1, now a dean american series!" rolleyes.gif
also, it comes down to the individual factories used to make these guitars. ibanez seems focused on quality, dean seems focused on beating a dead cash cow and their image. yeah, ill get my wings. to fly far away from these guitars. wink.gif

--------------------
My Gear:
Guitars:
Jackson Dinky Custom
Washburn WG-587 7-String
LTD EX-50
Kramer Focus 6000
Amps:
Peavey Vypyr 30

+Quote Post
Goliath
Mar 1 2008, 03:32 AM
My problem with it is that I would debate that my LTD DV8R is higher quality than the VMNT. It has comparable hardware (same pickups) and was priced at the same pricing point (just under 1k) for a long time. The DV8R is neck thru, while the VMNT1 is set neck. Both have SD DM sig Live Wires, I believe that the VMNT1 has minirotomatics to the DV8R's Sperzel. Personally, I prefer Sperzel but that's completely preference I suppose. The inlays on the VMNT1 are dot w/ saw tooth, DV8R are dots w/ 8 ball on the first fret. Rosewood fingerboard on DV8R, or ebony on the VMNT1. I guess that's really a preference deal, but we'll give that to Dean since ebony is more expensive, I believe. They both have strap locks. What is kind of misleading and probably has Guitarman and myself feeling betrayed is that when you buy a Dean, an American company, with a guitar that costs $1000, you would assume immediately that it would probably be American made, if you buy a $1k fender, I'm pretty sure it's American made. If you buy an ESP, you know it's japanese, if you buy an LTD, it's Korean. I'm not really that upset about the guitar being Korean, just that it's the "flagship" of the series and it's Korean lowers the perceived quality of the instrument, which means it's not going to appreciate. I don't know about you, but despite Korean guitar quality, including my S and my DV8R, but were I to sell both right now, they probably wouldn't recover 90% of their initial price, but most US made guitars do.

Look at the "top flight" guitars in both categories. The ESP sold for about $3000, the deans are selling for $4000 BUT there are only 150 of them and each one is signed by DM himself and come with a "Deth Certificate" numbered and signed by DM himself. The 4k Dean is US made, the 3k ESP is MIJ.

All of that said, I'm in love with my DV8R. It's quality is higher than my MIJ RG550 20th. It plays better, sounds better, and just has a better feel to it over all. You hold it and it feels like a quality instrument, where as with the Ibanez you hold it and it doesn't have that same quality "feel" to it. one other issue is that the neck joint and heel of the guitar, on the ESP it was more tapered and "elegant" looking, it's a little fatter on the dean with a bit more of a heel but I suspect that's completely aesthetic and doesn't affect playability.

Wanna guess what my next guitar is going to be? More than likely a VMNT1. I think I'm going to collect DM sig gutiars, not so much because I like him, or megadeth, but they fit me best of any type of guitar I've played.

--------------------
"King V" enthusiast

+Quote Post
KloCkWorXx
Mar 2 2008, 07:36 AM
korean, mexico, american guitars = electronics made in taiwan haha

--------------------
My gear:
epi zakk wylde
ec 1000 cherry
js 100 w dimarzios
dean from hell
5150 half stack
micro cube
Effects: boss delay dd-6, EH small clone chorus, Wylde Wah, Heil talkbox, Boss super overdrive, Rp 250
NS2 Noise Suppressor, DOD YJM308 Yngwie Malmsteen Overdrive

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 08:00 PM