#30 Pentatonic Inversion, Taking a Pentatonic Scale to new places
Todd Simpson
Jun 2 2018, 10:53 PM
GMC:er
Quick Licks #30 PENTATONIC INVERSIONS
INTRO:
PENTATONIC INVERSIONS!! Ok, so what the heck does that even mean? Well, it's just a way of running the Pentatonic/Blues Scale. You can run it with or without the "Blues Note" (E.G. Flatted 5th). In this example, we are using the blues note. But it will work either way.

The good news is that this lick works with the FUNK BACKING that we have been using. By now you should have several licks that work with that backing that you can string together and make an actual solo!!

*Make sure to watch the vid, don't skip it and just look at the tab, the tab is just where to put your fingers, not the lesson.

*NOTE: Keep your mute so that you don't get string noise.
*Here is Guitar Pro Tab for Quick Licks 30
Attached Image

Attached File  30.gp5 ( 1.71K ) Number of downloads: 126

BACKGROUND / COMMENTS
I've put this lick in G so that it fits with the GABE FUNK COLLAB backing. Give it a go! Here is the backing track.

BTW:
Please let me know if you have any questions about this lick, send me a PM if you like or post here. I'm happy to help! smile.gif
[/b]

ELEVEN RACK PATCH

This is a Soldano Patch with a bit of Spice! It's what I'm using in the video.

Attached File  SoldanoSpicey.tfx.zip ( 1.31K ) Number of downloads: 133

Attached Image

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Jun 3 2018, 01:53 AM

Attached File(s)
Attached File  Jazz_Funk_Backing_Track__Gm_.mp3 ( 16.51MB ) Number of downloads: 158

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
yoncopin
Jun 3 2018, 02:22 AM
Experienced Tone Seeker
I've been practicing something like this for a while now as a bit from this solo from Richie Faulkner. A similar lick is at 0:37, it's a really cool way to descend.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
yoncopin
Jun 3 2018, 06:53 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jun 4 2018, 03:01 AM
Holy Crap!! He stole my lick note for note!! I want it back! smile.gif Kidding. But yea! He does a great job of putting this lick in context and you do a great job of playing this lick!! For those curious, here is Mr Faulkner ripping it up!!

From seeing you play this at speed, I can tell you have put the time in working on it. It's great that we have the serendipity of you already working on it for another thing you are learning!! That's just awesome. The universe sometimes lines up like that. I'd take it as a sign that you are meant to learn this lick and learn it well. The good news is, YOU HAVE!! You really do get the mechanics and the soul of this lick. You are ready to use it as part of your chops in soloing.
It's not an easy lick. The pinky roll is something that many people struggle with and some never quite get. You clearly have overcome this and are ready to rip it up!! We are only going through one octave in this quick lick, but you can easily take this approach to two octaves or even three! Also we are doing it descending, you can also do it ascending as Mr Faulkner does. If you are learning that solo then you will be doing it up and down as that's what he does. It's killer solo!
You have a really good handle on this and it's great to see!!!! In other words
KRUSHED IT!!!!
Attached Image

Todd
QUOTE (yoncopin @ Jun 3 2018, 01:53 PM) *

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jun 7 2018, 08:55 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
This has been hard, I'm still struggling with palm mute and left hand mute but here's my attempt anyway. If you want to fully critique, go ahead, if you want another take I'll give you one.

Please excuse the awful vibrato, I pulled a forearm muscle at work a little bit today sad.gif

Cheers buddy.

https://youtu.be/GaG3b752sDk

This post has been edited by Phil66: Jun 7 2018, 08:57 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jun 7 2018, 09:29 PM
Nice!! You've got this Phil. This is a very handy lick for working on your finger dexterity and articulation but it's also a great lick for playing in a solo! You can play it slow or fast in a solo and it will still work well. You don't have to shred it.
You did a fine job of doing the PINKY rolls! That's the focus in this one. Being able to roll the pinky and still fret a note. This can be tricky. It can sound quite bad until one gets used to it. You clearly have put in the time and have a good handle on this. Try to multi pick it in a practice session. It will give it a different vibe.

This makes a great warm up lick as well. Try to play it at least once during your practice sessions. Also, this is only through one octave. Try to see if you can earball it and find the notes through the second octave.

Your muting is on point here! I don't here extra string noise which is great since this lick is all traverse the entire way through and goes backwards as well as forwards. In short, this is not an easy lick and you played it quite well!!! in other words you just...

LEVELED UP!!!!!!

Attached Image

Todd

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Jun 7 2018, 03:55 PM) *
This has been hard, I'm still struggling with palm mute and left hand mute but here's my attempt anyway. If you want to fully critique, go ahead, if you want another take I'll give you one.

Please excuse the awful vibrato, I pulled a forearm muscle at work a little bit today sad.gif

Cheers buddy.

https://youtu.be/GaG3b752sDk

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jun 7 2018, 09:35 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
Thanks Todd,

I'll repost soon when it's a little better. I'm still working on the sweep ones and will post a progress take soon.

Cheers

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jun 8 2018, 01:28 AM
Looking forward to it smile.gif A lick can always be better. Any time you wanna put up a new version just let me know and I'd be happy to give it a critique! You are making great progress on these and have a good momentum going. Keep it up! Just make sure to KEEP IT FUN!! If it starts to feeling boring or like "work" STOP!! And play something else, or put the guitar down and doing something else entirely. Keeping balanced so that you don't get burned out is the key to success IMHO!!

Todd

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Jun 7 2018, 04:35 PM) *
Thanks Todd,

I'll repost soon when it's a little better. I'm still working on the sweep ones and will post a progress take soon.

Cheers

+Quote Post
George Hlio
Jun 19 2018, 09:52 PM
Experienced Rock Star
My take Sarge!

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jun 25 2018, 06:16 AM
NICE!! This is a tough one. It requires a pinky roll that many folks find a serious challenge. Per usual you rip right through it. I can tell you put in the time to get this right. You have very solid picking technique and very good palm muting. Zero string noise and no bad notes, no missed strikes. You have developed very clean and solid technique. It's great to see as it's the foundation for so much of what being a good player is all about. You have gotten to the point where you are ready to jump in to improv and writing your own stuff imho. Keep it up! As for this one, SORTED!!!
And you just,.....
LEVELED UP!!!*Also you remain our TOP DAWG!!!!!
Attached Image

Todd
QUOTE (George Hlio @ Jun 19 2018, 04:52 PM) *
My take Sarge!

+Quote Post
onetabmat
Nov 15 2018, 06:09 PM
Learning Roadie

This post has been edited by onetabmat: Nov 15 2018, 08:13 PM

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Nov 16 2018, 01:40 AM
The second one was spot on!! This is a very handy way to add some spice to a blues lick. It's something you don't often hear as it's a very technical way to play a semi non technical bit of blues. That's what makes it stand out. Try it in different keys and keep it handy for your solos!! You just..

LEVELED UP!!!!
Attached Image
Todd
QUOTE (onetabmat @ Nov 15 2018, 01:09 PM) *

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
May 18 2019, 05:22 AM
Learning Rock Star

--------------------

Check out my TikTok! - or check out my GMC video comments on YouTube

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
May 18 2019, 08:27 AM
NAILED IT!!! The cleanest one of these so far and you play it at speed without even changing the expression on your face, much less breaking a sweat! Well played. Also I really dig your tone here. Just enough gain and the delay works really well. Is that a custom bias patch? Well played, great tone, SCORE!!!!
You just..
LEVELED UP!!!!
Attached Image
Todd
QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ May 18 2019, 12:22 AM) *

+Quote Post
Adam
Oct 9 2020, 11:52 PM
Learning Roadie

Is this good enough?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Oct 10 2020, 04:12 AM
Nailed it!! Also, you are keeping your pinky very close to the next note needing to be played which is great to see. All your fingers are hovering near where they need to be right when you need them. This is a complex "Inversion" style lick that is similar to our Inversion Licks in Bootcamp, but this one is the same shape all the way down so that one can focus on keeping things moving and not worry about changing shape patterns. It's a good way to work on precision/speed. Good mute as well!!! Every string is used and you transition well between them. I use all the strings in this drill on purpose in order to challenge the hand and require it to traverse all the way down from high to low strings. You got this!!

You Just..

LEVELED UP!!!!
Attached Image
Attached Image

Todd

QUOTE (Adam @ Oct 9 2020, 06:52 PM) *

Is this good enough?

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Oct 10 2020, 04:13 AM

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 03:06 AM