2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Interesting Little Fact About Our Universe, Big numbers and impossible large sizes, I love this stuff!
The Uncreator
May 11 2010, 04:34 PM
Fire Up The Blades, Moderator
So I'm currently researching some information on giant structures in the universe for a song I'm working on (And just cause its interesting), And I would think something like the Oort cloud might be good place to start, But when I started looking into Superclusters (Massive groups of galaxies) I came across this really cool thing:

Its called the "Sloan Great Wall", and is classified as a hypercluster. Basically the area in the red is a single massive group of galaxies, And to put this into a bit of perspective, This "wall" measures a staggering 1.37 billion light years.

Now here's that same number in miles:

Just because I can, that means that this structure is about...

322,163,605,778,259,200 times bigger than the planet you currently live on .

Anyway, no real point to this thread, I just like to share these cool little factoids. Plus I find the universe unbelievably fascinating, And it makes me babble sometimes laugh.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
SirJamsalot
May 11 2010, 05:35 PM
Learning Rock Star
You know, when numbers get that big you may as well just add another 100 zeros to the end of them because my mind hits a conceptual wall after the million mile mark wink.gif

Wouldn't it be great if we had the technology to take a joy ride through some of those galaxies tho?

Christian A.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
The more I practice, the more I wish I had time to practice!
My Band Forum: http://passionfly.site/chat

+Quote Post
Zsolt Galambos
May 11 2010, 05:55 PM
GMC Coordinator & Instructor
To understand the whole Universe, we'd have to expand our consciousness... wink.gif

--------------------
Check out my Instructor Profile

Check out my Personal Board

+Quote Post
Daniel Realpe
May 11 2010, 06:00 PM
Instructor
so, do galaxies form this geometric shapes? or is it just for the purpose of explaining something, I mean, the white is empty space?

--------------------
Visit my:
INSTRUCTOR PROFILE

"If a composer could say what he had to say in words he would not bother trying to say it in music."
Gustav Mahler

Subscribe to my Youtube Channel here

+Quote Post
jstcrsn
May 11 2010, 06:05 PM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (The Uncreator @ May 11 2010, 04:34 PM) *
So I'm currently researching some information on giant structures in the universe for a song I'm working on (And just cause its interesting), And I would think something like the Oort cloud might be good place to start, But when I started looking into Superclusters (Massive groups of galaxies) I came across this really cool thing:

Its called the "Sloan Great Wall", and is classified as a hypercluster. Basically the area in the red is a single massive group of galaxies, And to put this into a bit of perspective, This "wall" measures a staggering 1.37 billion light years.

Now here's that same number in miles:

Nasa says if you were to run every power plant on earth for seven million years you would have enough power to run the sun for One second- and the sun is considered a small star

Just because I can, that means that this structure is about...

322,163,605,778,259,200 times bigger than the planet you currently live on .

Anyway, no real point to this thread, I just like to share these cool little factoids. Plus I find the universe unbelievably fascinating, And it makes me babble sometimes laugh.gif

Nasa says if you were to run every power plant on earth for seven million years you would have enough power to run the sun for One second- and the sun is considered a small star

+Quote Post
lcsdds
May 11 2010, 06:09 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (jstcrsn @ May 11 2010, 06:05 PM) *

In the words of Cosmo Kramer......."You just blew my mind"........... laugh.gif laugh.gif

+Quote Post
jstcrsn
May 11 2010, 06:15 PM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (lcsdds @ May 11 2010, 06:09 PM) *
In the words of Cosmo Kramer......."You just blew my mind"........... laugh.gif laugh.gif

not meant to blow your mind, but just remember
they estimate the stars to be numbered at 10 billion times ten bilion
blink.gif

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
May 11 2010, 06:59 PM
QUOTE (Zsolt Galambos @ May 11 2010, 09:55 AM) *
To understand the whole Universe, we'd have to expand our consciousness... wink.gif

Most definitely, I think in the next few hundred years once human lifespan is expanded we will be a bit more closer! Its hard for use to really comprehend something like the universe. No matter if we want to or not, we view life and time lines in the context of a human lifespan, 100-110 years maximum.

QUOTE (jstcrsn @ May 11 2010, 10:15 AM) *
not meant to blow your mind, but just remember
they estimate the stars to be numbered at 10 billion times ten bilion
blink.gif

To reinforce your fact here, Here is one of my favorite pictures, its the scale of a star called Antares!

+Quote Post
Fran
May 11 2010, 07:14 PM
Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
This stuff always amazes me, specilly the videos & pics that compare the size of planets & stars, shows we are less than nothing in the universe.

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC

+Quote Post
Skewlbuzz
May 11 2010, 07:52 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
"Space is big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the drug store, but that's just peanuts to space."

--------------------

Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Standard 2008
Fender Squier '51

---------------------
Amp(like):
Blackstar Series One 45
Line6 POD Studio UX1
Marshall MG15CDR

---------------------
Effects:
Dunlop Crybaby 535Q
DigiTech Whammy
Z.Vex Fuzz Factory
Dunlop MXR Carbon Copy

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
May 11 2010, 08:00 PM
QUOTE (Daniel Realpe @ May 11 2010, 10:00 AM) *
so, do galaxies form this geometric shapes? or is it just for the purpose of explaining something, I mean, the white is empty space?

Well actually, the scale that picture is at, only object/structures that massive would be visible. The white is rather a "lack of" a dense gathering of anything. If you were to put a 1 pixel point anywhere on that picture, you would probably be resting it on several hundred, or hundreds of millions/billions of galaxies.

QUOTE (Skewlbuzz @ May 11 2010, 11:52 AM) *
"Space is big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the drug store, but that's just peanuts to space."

“There is a theory which states that if ever for any reason anyone discovers what exactly the Universe is for and why it is here it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another that states that this has already happened.”

Douglas Adams has a lot of good quotes like these smile.gif

+Quote Post
Skewlbuzz
May 11 2010, 08:03 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (The Uncreator @ May 11 2010, 09:00 PM) *
“There is a theory which states that if ever for any reason anyone discovers what exactly the Universe is for and why it is here it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another that states that this has already happened.”

Indeed, my favourite author. I simply love his view on life, the universe and everything! smile.gif

--------------------

Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Standard 2008
Fender Squier '51

---------------------
Amp(like):
Blackstar Series One 45
Line6 POD Studio UX1
Marshall MG15CDR

---------------------
Effects:
Dunlop Crybaby 535Q
DigiTech Whammy
Z.Vex Fuzz Factory
Dunlop MXR Carbon Copy

+Quote Post
Vasilije Vukmiro...
May 12 2010, 11:05 AM
Jazz Instructor
I love this HUGE fact! Like number of starts, galaxies, light years.... Make me feel great! smile.gif

+Quote Post
gotaG
May 12 2010, 11:44 AM
GMC:er
Got this one quite a while ago via podcast (bestofyoutube)..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HEheh1BH34Q

This post has been edited by gotaG: May 12 2010, 11:48 AM

+Quote Post
Praetorian
May 12 2010, 12:58 PM
Learning Apprentice Player & Challenge Star
QUOTE (gotaG @ May 12 2010, 06:44 AM) *

That video is absolutely awesome! This stuff blows my mind...I can't even comprehend what I am seeing!

--------------------
Ben

Fender American Standard Stratocaster
Ibanez RG4EXQM1

+Quote Post
Berglmir
May 12 2010, 01:04 PM
GMC:er
For anyone into this kind of things I can highly recommend the following documentary:

DANGEROUS KNOWLEDGE (BBC Documentary)

In this one-off documentary, David Malone looks at four brilliant mathematicians - Georg Cantor, Ludwig Boltzmann, Kurt Gödel and Alan Turing - whose genius has profoundly affected us, but which tragically drove them insane and eventually led to them all committing suicide.

Quite eerie I tell you! blink.gif

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
May 12 2010, 02:22 PM
QUOTE (gotaG @ May 12 2010, 03:44 AM) *

Very cool video indeed!

QUOTE (Berglmir @ May 12 2010, 05:04 AM) *
For anyone into this kind of things I can highly recommend the following documentary:

DANGEROUS KNOWLEDGE (BBC Documentary)

In this one-off documentary, David Malone looks at four brilliant mathematicians - Georg Cantor, Ludwig Boltzmann, Kurt Gödel and Alan Turing - whose genius has profoundly affected us, but which tragically drove them insane and eventually led to them all committing suicide.

Quite eerie I tell you! blink.gif

Sounds interesting, Will have to check that one out.

+Quote Post
jstcrsn
May 12 2010, 03:36 PM
Learning Tone Master
[quote name='The Uncreator' date='May 11 2010,

[/quote]

Come on man -you just give us a statistic on how big things are
and the next sentence you quote that if this small being can grasp it, it will dissapear
Come on

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
May 12 2010, 03:45 PM
QUOTE (jstcrsn @ May 12 2010, 07:36 AM) *
Come on man -you just give us a statistic on how big things are
and the next sentence you quote that if this small being can grasp it, it will dissapear
Come on

Whats the problem?

Someone quoted Douglas Adams and I posted another quote from him that I like, Is there some contradiction?

+Quote Post
thefireball
May 12 2010, 03:50 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Daniel Realpe @ May 11 2010, 12:00 PM) *

The shown part of the galaxy that is shown is what they say that we know about.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 12:14 AM