Need Some Tips With This One!
shredmaster1393
Mar 29 2010, 04:49 AM
GMC:er
hello GMC,after a while of not being here on gmc and not practicing like i usually do. i decided to start my routine again and learn the song Axis: Bold as Love by jimi hendrix. but my problem is i want to start moving away from tabs and learn it by ear., but i dont have any transcribing software where i can slow a section down and try to play it. so how should i approach this obstacle so i can learn this song to impress my cousin who also plays guitar. mellow.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
its not what you take with you, but what you leave behind that defines greatness
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[font="Impact"

[size="5"][/size]
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
jafomatic
Mar 29 2010, 05:02 AM
GMC:er
Well, the "free" answer is that even if you cannot slow it down, surely you have the ability to pause the track. So, armed with that, pause and repeat it phrase by phrase, or chord by chord, whichever voice you're learning, and soon enough you'll have it.

That almost seems too easy, is track this playing someplace that you cannot pause and rewind? A stream of some kind?

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
::jafomatic

http://jafomatic.net/tunes/ <-- Here lies the master collection of my collaboration and other improvisation recordings.

+Quote Post
zen
Mar 29 2010, 07:24 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...c=31722&hl=

--------------------
"If the need is deep, you WILL find a way , if it isn't, you'll find some excuse"

Check out my Student Instructor Lesson on Metal Riffing HERE

Visit My Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Mar 29 2010, 10:07 AM
Instructor
If you are having difficulties learning it by ear, I suggest you take it easy, and work on the tab. Tab will help as a first-glance guideline on the piece, and then you should listen to original and compare, and implement necessary changes. Bold As Love can be tricky to learn on it's own, lots of intervals are used, and sometimes it is hard to differentiate the strings and notes that are being played, specially if you haven't done similar transcription before.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Zsolt Galambos
Apr 1 2010, 07:40 PM
GMC Coordinator & Instructor
There's a free software named "Audacity", but I personally use "Transcribe!", it is the best I've ever seen so far.

QUOTE (shredmaster1393 @ Mar 29 2010, 04:49 AM) *
hello GMC,after a while of not being here on gmc and not practicing like i usually do. i decided to start my routine again and learn the song Axis: Bold as Love by jimi hendrix. but my problem is i want to start moving away from tabs and learn it by ear., but i dont have any transcribing software where i can slow a section down and try to play it. so how should i approach this obstacle so i can learn this song to impress my cousin who also plays guitar. mellow.gif

--------------------
Check out my Instructor Profile

Check out my Personal Board

+Quote Post
Daniel Realpe
Apr 4 2010, 12:34 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (jafomatic @ Mar 29 2010, 05:02 AM) *
Well, the "free" answer is that even if you cannot slow it down, surely you have the ability to pause the track. So, armed with that, pause and repeat it phrase by phrase, or chord by chord, whichever voice you're learning, and soon enough you'll have it.

That almost seems too easy, is track this playing someplace that you cannot pause and rewind? A stream of some kind?

this is a very good tip to polish your ear abilities,

but you can slow down the track if it's a mp3 in Windows media

press ctrl+shift+S

to go back to normal

ctrl+shift+N

--------------------
Visit my:
INSTRUCTOR PROFILE

"If a composer could say what he had to say in words he would not bother trying to say it in music."
Gustav Mahler

Subscribe to my Youtube Channel here

+Quote Post
Vasilije Vukmiro...
Apr 4 2010, 02:15 PM
Jazz Instructor
Yeah, that is the good idea. When transcribing, it is good to memorize only 3-4 notes, that way everything can be transcribed. Transcribing at full speed can be challenging, but it is good way of training the ear!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 05:01 AM