Strap Height?
lefty01
Sep 14 2007, 04:04 AM
GMC:er
Hi all.
I was wondering...how high/low do you wear your guitar strap. I'm having a hard time with this. It feels good lower, but find is more easier to play faster, and freat chords, when it is higher? Thoughts?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 13)
Robin
Sep 14 2007, 04:07 AM
I got it pretty high. I hate having it low. Its a living hell to play with it low and I think it looks pretty stupid when its too low.

If its easier to play fast and play chords when its high, I suppose thats the best solution tongue.gif
Either way, you'll get used to it.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Robin: Sep 14 2007, 04:09 AM

+Quote Post
MickeM
Sep 14 2007, 04:11 AM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
I have it pretty high, belly height, not so cool but it works better.

This post has been edited by MickeM: Sep 14 2007, 04:11 AM

+Quote Post
Robin
Sep 14 2007, 04:11 AM
QUOTE (MickeM @ Sep 14 2007, 03:11 AM) *
I have it pretty high, belly height, not so cool but it works better.

Yes, it is cool! smile.gif

+Quote Post
Owen
Sep 14 2007, 04:33 AM
Too high and too low can both look pretty wierd.

I have mine at about mediumish height, it annoys me if its way up at my chin/touching the ground. laugh.gif

--------------------
Don't Panic.

+Quote Post
Nick325
Sep 14 2007, 04:34 AM
i usued to have it a little before below my stomach but i raised it a little for playing better

+Quote Post
Smikey2006
Sep 14 2007, 08:48 AM
Mine i keep just about at my waist.. for more complex songs i move it above my waist for easy songs with lots of breakdowns i put it lower.. depends on what your playing for me.. but never anything above the belly or below the *cough*

--------------------
Schecter Exotic Star+ Peavey VK
Ibanez Xiphos 707 + Krank Revolution 100
Damien 7

Wishlist
Schecter Customshop
Schecter 2008 Blackjack
Damage Control Timeline Delay Pedal/Distortion
a laptop that runs protools :'(

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Sep 14 2007, 08:59 AM
Instructor
It's really matter of compromise,better look or more comfort...
Sometimes I change it even during gig,put it higher a bit when there's some hard part in specific tune wink.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
Sep 14 2007, 09:57 AM
Fire Up The Blades, Moderator
i always got mine up high, real high, i can play the best that way.

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Sep 14 2007, 12:46 PM
Moderator - low level high stakes
I keep my guitar high. With a face like mine looking cool is the least of my worries tongue.gif .

Cheers,
Tony

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
shredmandan
Sep 14 2007, 12:48 PM
I have to have my guitar up pretty high.Atleast right around or above belly button. tongue.gif laugh.gif

--------------------
My Gear
Cort X-2 electric with 24 frets and 2 humbucker's dark Blue
Kustom DFX100 With Celestion Speakers,and thats it now (lol)

My Advice
Figure out what you want in life early.Wether it's the girl,the partying
or mastering the guitar.Adding any 2 together will get in your way.

+Quote Post
Iscariott
Sep 14 2007, 05:59 PM
There's a happy medium. And it's never the same place twice. Too high looks dumb as hell, and isnt that much easier to play. Too low and your playing goes to hell, unless you're playing korn or something. I try and go for the low side of inbetween the two, and the higher side of the middle when my playing sucks.

This post has been edited by Iscariott: Sep 14 2007, 05:59 PM

+Quote Post
man0mule
Sep 17 2007, 12:39 AM
like others have said, it's all about compramise. the higher i go the easier it is to play with my left but then my right arm tends to get tired. the lower i go the more my right arm relaxes but the harder it is to do complicated stuff with my left hand. You have to find a happy medium, and sometimes it will change depending on what your playing and when and what kind of guitar your using.

--------------------

+Quote Post
mattacuk
Sep 17 2007, 02:27 AM
Lets go fishing!
I keep mine medium height smile.gif

--------------------
mysql> SELECT * FROM master_name WHERE ((firstname = 'Paul') AND (lastname = 'Gilbert'));

"The Fundimental Difference between Paul Gilbert and Buckethead is that Paul Explores the Good side of the force, while Buckethead Explores the Dark Side of the Force" :)

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 11:00 PM