Volume Drops Too Much
steve25
Feb 11 2008, 12:45 AM
GMC:er
Hi. I think i mentioned something about this in another topic but don't remember getting an answer. When i record with PODxt it noticeably sounds quieter when i play it back. To get a half decent volume out of it i have to put the volume right up. The problem is it is so loud i have to record it with my headphones off otherwise it will just deafen me. What can i do so that the volume is the same?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Start new topic
Replies (1 - 19)
Ivan Milenkovic
Feb 11 2008, 03:28 AM
Instructor
How do you record? You must set the volume of your line in to be high too. It is a matter of balance, you can't set it too high because it will be clipped. Set it somewhere in the middle. The signal must be clear when it comes to your recording app. Adjust either line in on your sound card, or line in in your software's mixer.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
blindwillie
Feb 11 2008, 08:54 AM
If you start up Gearbox I think there is a button for monitoring. I think You can turn monitoring off completly or lower the monitor volume without affecting the recording volume.

--------------------

Schecter C1 Hellraiser EMG 81/85, replaced with JB/Jazz (SH4/SH2n) w. coilsplit
Schecter Revenger HB-105, replaced with EMG 81/85
Stratocaster Deluxe Players Noiseless
Ibanez 2550z
Blackstar HT5H, Blackheart BH5H w. BH112, Laney LX35D, Line6 Pod XT, Marshall MS-2
Headphones: Sennheiser RS120

Stay tuned...

+Quote Post
Crazyfret
Feb 11 2008, 01:29 PM
Learning Roadie
You can adjust your guitar level on the Podxt by using the effects channel volume control knob to a comfortable level. The output control will alter the overall playback level.

Attached Image

This post has been edited by Crazyfret: Feb 11 2008, 01:35 PM

--------------------
"I am playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order." Eric Morecambe

+Quote Post
steve25
Feb 11 2008, 04:14 PM
I don't understand what you mean by line in. I have chan volume up high that's no problem as i just turn down the output a bit so that it's not too loud.

Ivan: i record with my PODxt connecting to my computers USB port which is obviously connected to the USB part of my PODxt. And at the moment i'm recording using Cubase SX.

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Feb 11 2008, 09:34 PM
Instructor
Then you have a good signal? I didn't quite understand man.. You have a lodu signal only in monitoring right?

If so, you can shut off the monitoring or turn it down in gearbox, there's a pot for that in the upper right corner of the main window.

--------------------

+Quote Post
steve25
Feb 11 2008, 09:42 PM
I'm not sure i'm understand what you are saying, what is gear box?

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Feb 12 2008, 12:42 PM
Instructor
Gearbox is a line 6 software. If you don't use it to control your POD, then you have a channel volume pot on the POD itself. Did you try to make a balance there?

--------------------

+Quote Post
blindwillie
Feb 12 2008, 01:28 PM
The Channel Volume might get the same effect maybe, but it's not the same thing as Monitor Volume I think.
The Channel Volume affects the presets amp model volume right? Adjust this a bit below clipping.

From previous posts I assumed you have your POD connected to a computer.
If you havent done so already go to line6.com and download Line6 Monkey. That's a tool that checks if your software and drivers are up to date. From within Line6 Monkey download and install the software Gearbox, you can have some fun with that smile.gif

--------------------

Schecter C1 Hellraiser EMG 81/85, replaced with JB/Jazz (SH4/SH2n) w. coilsplit
Schecter Revenger HB-105, replaced with EMG 81/85
Stratocaster Deluxe Players Noiseless
Ibanez 2550z
Blackstar HT5H, Blackheart BH5H w. BH112, Laney LX35D, Line6 Pod XT, Marshall MS-2
Headphones: Sennheiser RS120

Stay tuned...

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Feb 12 2008, 07:22 PM
Instructor
+1 for the Gearbox. It makes POD more practical because you can control it via software.

--------------------

+Quote Post
steve25
Feb 13 2008, 12:47 AM
Ok i'll have a look at gearbox and let you know how i got on with it

+Quote Post
steve25
Feb 13 2008, 06:01 PM
Ok i downloaded this today and i don't really see the difference between this and line6 edit? Anyway can you explain what you mean by making a balance?

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Feb 14 2008, 12:16 AM
Instructor
Do you use any pedals before POD in the effects chain. Some pedals tend to rise the volume.

Do you use some loud presets on the POD? Some presets are louder that others

Do you use USB connection to connnect your POD to PC? If don't check your line in on your soundcard

Did you balanced the input in your host application? Sometimes the volume on the input in your host app can be too high.

This post has been edited by Milenkovic Ivan: Feb 14 2008, 12:19 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
steve25
Feb 15 2008, 03:07 PM
1. No, i connect my guitar to my POD and record that way no other pedals

2. Well they all seem pretty loud generally the chan volume is about 2 o clock

3. Yeah my POD connects straight to my computers USB port

4. I don't understand what you mean by this, any chance of an explanation?

+Quote Post
steve25
Feb 20 2008, 01:10 AM
Ok been trying to do recording in audacity as well and the same thing is happening so surely it has to be something to do with the way my pod is set up? Also how does that monitoring dial work in gearbox? When i change it, it doesn't seem to change the volume at all which means turning my pod up loud is impossible

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Feb 20 2008, 05:17 PM
Instructor
Did you choose the POD to be the device to be controlled form the Gearbox?

In the Gearbox panel right next to the monitor dial you have a out to hardware dial? Did you try that?

What I meant is do you have mono input channel in your host application that you use to record? You must send a sound TO your application, so how do you do it in Audacity or Reaper?

--------------------

+Quote Post
steve25
Feb 20 2008, 05:36 PM
Ivan thanks for the reply i'll certainly try that in a bit and see how i get on that seems to makes sense.

What i do, is in cubase or audacity, i'll use audacity for this example and it's easier, i have audacity setup so that playback device is my PODxt and also recording device is PODxt because of cause windows can recognise my PODxt which allows audacity to detect it. So i simply hit the record button on the main screen, play my part and that's it. Of course then i can go on to add more tracks etc but i won't go into that much detail because it's probably not important. I'd be interested to know how other pod users do it

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Feb 20 2008, 09:33 PM
Instructor
What I've meant is in Cubase for example you have a channel in the mixer that controls your recording input signal from Pod. DOes this channel clip maybe?

--------------------

+Quote Post
steve25
Feb 20 2008, 09:39 PM
Ah ok i see sorry, no it doesn't clip

+Quote Post
Toni Suominen
Feb 20 2008, 10:52 PM
Instructor
I dont know if you have tried this yet, but have you tried to turn down the Output knob on the podxt? it also controls volume smile.gif

But yeah, it could be a problem with your host apps volume settings too.

This post has been edited by Toni Suominen: Feb 20 2008, 10:53 PM

--------------------
Gear:
-PRS Custom 22
-Edwards Les Paul
-PodXT
-Ibanez Acoustic

Check out my lessons and my instructor profile!

My Youtube channel

My Last.FM

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 02:20 PM