2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Really Good Legato Technique/ Lesson, Should Help People/ Inspire
Eat-Sleep-andJam
Jun 12 2009, 12:59 PM
GMC:er
I love this guys technique. Marshall Harrison is his name. But I mean It seems so hard to reach legato of this level.
:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTI2s4svE2s...player_embedded

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Eat-Sleep-andJam: Jun 12 2009, 09:39 PM

--------------------
Join Me On the Lyrics Board !

"Find something worth dying for...

...And live for it"
-The Uncreator
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
jafomatic
Jun 12 2009, 01:26 PM
that is truly hypnotic.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
::jafomatic

http://jafomatic.net/tunes/ <-- Here lies the master collection of my collaboration and other improvisation recordings.

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Jun 12 2009, 02:37 PM
GMC Founder
Very very nice legato technique! laugh.gif

Personally I think that developing monster picking speed is harder than to develop the corresponding legato technique.

This is because there is one hand less to synchronize. However it seems most shredders start with picking (the reason might because picking seems easier for beginners).

--------------------

+Quote Post
sigma7
Jun 12 2009, 04:02 PM
im changing all my lessons to legato now =)

--------------------

+Quote Post
Jose Mena
Jun 12 2009, 04:14 PM
Instructor
Awesome Holdsworth style playing, but I don't understand what he says, what he said about the heavy metal type legato, Why isn't it legato?, it was legato but played sloppy on purpose.

Then he said his legato didn't have any pull offs, to me if you are fretting with pinky and you let go and now any of the other fingers are fretting and making a sound, you just did a pull off, it might be smooth but it is still a pull off, you haven't picked again so it is a pull off. So again I am confused by what he is saying.

--------------------
Check out my Video Lessons
Visit my Instructor Board
Visit MySpace

+Quote Post
lcsdds
Jun 12 2009, 04:21 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Jose Mena @ Jun 12 2009, 04:14 PM) *
Awesome Holdsworth style playing, but I don't understand what he says, what he said about the heavy metal type legato, Why isn't it legato?, it was legato but played sloppy on purpose.

Then he said his legato didn't have any pull offs, to me if you are fretting with pinky and you let go and now any of the other fingers are fretting and making a sound, you just did a pull off, it might be smooth but it is still a pull off, you haven't picked again so it is a pull off. So again I am confused by what he is saying.

This is what he is talking about Jose......\m/\m/

http://adam.fulara.com/article2

+Quote Post
Jose Mena
Jun 12 2009, 05:00 PM
Instructor
Adam Fulara

I've heard him before, amazing, he doesn't pull off, he will hammer on oll notes, but to me this guy is using pull offs.

--------------------
Visit MySpace

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Jun 12 2009, 05:18 PM
GMC Founder
QUOTE (Jose Mena @ Jun 12 2009, 05:14 PM) *

I think he might be referring to the "Holdsworthian" kind of legato. Holdsworth has stopped doing pull offs for two main reasons ( I believe) :

* The nature of the pull-off movement creates an out-of-pitch, too sharp note.

* Having to do pull-offs as soon as you play a descending line is somewhat limiting for improvisation. The idea is to do hammer-ons all the time - this way you can keep going even if you just want to play one note on a certain string when descending. This opens up for fantastic string skipping runs - as an example.

Now I got inspired to get back to my old legato practicing! biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Jun 12 2009, 05:49 PM
Instructor
This is definitely Holdsworth type legato and I enjoy it a lot. Thanks for sharing video with us !

--------------------

+Quote Post
Jose Mena
Jun 12 2009, 05:59 PM
Instructor
I am going to check this out now, you need very low action for this to sound so smooth and even.

--------------------
Visit MySpace

+Quote Post
Jose Mena
Jun 12 2009, 09:06 PM
Instructor
I think I got it, this isn't easy, I guess the trick is to keep all fingers that are not playing away from the string, so that you can hammer the note when it is that fingers turn. It is like playing a piano instead of a guitar, but why is the Petrucci, Satriani, Vai way not legato?

--------------------
Visit MySpace

+Quote Post
lcsdds
Jun 12 2009, 09:19 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Jose Mena @ Jun 12 2009, 09:06 PM) *
I think I got it, this isn't easy, I guess the trick is to keep all fingers that are not playing away from the string, so that you can hammer the note when it is that fingers turn. It is like playing a piano instead of a guitar, but why is the Petrucci, Satriani, Vai way not legato?

I like the petrucci, satch and vai way better. My ear can't hear the difference.....that's not surprising though..... tongue.gif laugh.gif

If you are gonna play that way you should just put a string dampner on and throw away the pick altogether IMO....

+Quote Post
Tolek
Jun 12 2009, 09:32 PM
Learning Rock Star
Hey, could you please post the link to the video? I can´t see it. sad.gif

EDIT: It´s ok now. smile.gif

This post has been edited by Tolek: Jun 12 2009, 09:41 PM

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Jun 12 2009, 09:34 PM
GMC Founder
QUOTE (Jose Mena @ Jun 12 2009, 10:06 PM) *
but why is the Petrucci, Satriani, Vai way not legato?

Well I certainly agree with you that their technique is just as much legato as Holdsworth's... I guess the world is full of "puritans" ! laugh.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
lcsdds
Jun 12 2009, 10:16 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Jun 12 2009, 09:34 PM) *
Well I certainly agree with you that their technique is just as much legato as Holdsworth's... I guess the world is full of "puritans" ! laugh.gif

I think this is one thing that makes guitar so damn cool and at the same time so damn hard. There are SOOOO MANY techniques to learn. With piano you push a key and make a sound.....simple. With guitar you can pick the note, tap the note, hammer the note, pull off the note, sweep pick the note, strum the chord, finger pick the chord...........

I'm still waiting for my Kazoo I bought through ebay......that thing I am sure I can master..... tongue.gif laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Jun 12 2009, 10:34 PM
GMC Founder
QUOTE (lcsdds @ Jun 12 2009, 11:16 PM) *
I think this is one thing that makes guitar so damn cool and at the same time so damn hard. There are SOOOO MANY techniques to learn. With piano you push a key and make a sound.....simple. With guitar you can pick the note, tap the note, hammer the note, pull off the note, sweep pick the note, strum the chord, finger pick the chord...........

I'm still waiting for my Kazoo I bought through ebay......that thing I am sure I can master..... tongue.gif laugh.gif

hehe so true! + If you add tha fact that two guitarist can attempt to do the exact same thing - but since so many factors come into play (hand synchronization, picking strength, sound etc) it will in fact sound like completely different techniques.

--------------------

+Quote Post
TheKeplerConject...
Jun 13 2009, 06:41 AM
This is interesting. I've recently started to lift all fingers that are not playing notes while practicing a particular alternate picking exercise. I've noticed it has cleaned up my normal playing a bit. I just took a quick shot at this... It's hard. How is this dude prohibiting open string vibrations? Like, what are the mechanics? Is he muting with his palm? Super-softly lifting his fingers from the string?

It sounds really good and consistent. But it leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Maybe because this guy thinks his poo is ice cream and he just made me try some.

+Quote Post
jafomatic
Jun 13 2009, 03:19 PM
QUOTE (TheKeplerConjecture @ Jun 13 2009, 12:41 AM) *
Is he muting with his palm? Super-softly lifting his fingers from the string?

Considering how infrequently he needs to pick, I suspect the palm could be used for a lot of mute. I didn't watch the whole video to see if that's actually what this guy is doing or if he's just really precise.

--------------------
::jafomatic

http://jafomatic.net/tunes/ <-- Here lies the master collection of my collaboration and other improvisation recordings.

+Quote Post
Skalde
Jun 13 2009, 03:28 PM
Learning Roadie
Which scale should I use for practising lagato?

+Quote Post
sted
Jun 13 2009, 03:33 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Skalde @ Jun 13 2009, 03:28 PM) *
Which scale should I use for practising lagato?

Any mate, ideally sclae runs with at least three notes per string.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 06:25 AM