15 Pages V  « < 9 10 11 12 13 > »   
How Have You Improved In The Last Week?
OrganisedConfusi...
Feb 4 2008, 10:09 PM
GMC:er
Unfortunately I never improve. sad.gif I hope I can get to the next level with guitar.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Gear
Guitars:- Caparison Horus Snowcloud, Parker Nitefly M, Parker Nitefly SA, Gibson SG, Parker P10e, 40 Year Old Spanish Acoustic
Amps:- Framus Ruby Riot 2x12" stack
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Duncan
Feb 4 2008, 10:25 PM
QUOTE (OrganisedConfusion @ Feb 4 2008, 09:09 PM) *
Unfortunately I never improve. sad.gif I hope I can get to the next level with guitar.

Don't worry, you will. I find guitar skill never gradually increases. It always comes in leaps. You might be stuck on something for months, then one day you will just be able to play it.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
sam47
Feb 7 2008, 04:42 AM
QUOTE (Duncan @ Feb 4 2008, 04:25 PM) *
Don't worry, you will. I find guitar skill never gradually increases. It always comes in leaps. You might be stuck on something for months, then one day you will just be able to play it.

Amen to that Duncan!

+Quote Post
bliopster
Feb 10 2008, 04:56 PM
last week was amazing i went from barely being able to do a scale toalt picking through some of them @ 180 bpm triplets! i did spend about 5 hours a day on alt picking thought lol this week is all legato! GL Guys

+Quote Post
D-loader
Feb 12 2008, 03:43 PM
I started out here last week, and its been really good laugh.gif I spent -days- trying to figure out tapping x.x; finally it just came to me today, so now its all about raising the tempo! tongue.gif . I can "sorta" do triplets, I gotta improve the speed there as well.. going good though =)

Lesson I'm practicing: Beginner Solo In D by Muris, mostly because it contains many different techniques, but also because it sounds really nice.

+Quote Post
xChrisx
Feb 12 2008, 07:44 PM
I sprained my thumb on my right hand so no progress for me this week mad.gif

So I've been spending my time trying to find some better gear and looknig at songs I might want to try playing in a bit.

--------------------
i did this to myself
the summer air burning in my lungs
one more glance till i come undone
let's stop this rising sun

+Quote Post
JVM
Feb 13 2008, 05:47 AM
Learning Roadie
My rhythm playing seems to be improving, or at least I'm faster biggrin.gif

Also without having really tried it before I kind of stumbled upon kind of a demented circus kind of style I hadn't done before. You'd recognize it if you heard it... just basically kind of a ska/reggae beat but you're also playing the bassline on your e string along with it, quite fun to do.

--------------------
Gear: Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Gibson '67 RI Flying V, Mesa Boogie F-30 112 combo, crazy pedals.

+Quote Post
ch00ch00man
Feb 13 2008, 06:23 AM
QUOTE (bliopster @ Feb 10 2008, 11:56 AM) *
last week was amazing i went from barely being able to do a scale toalt picking through some of them @ 180 bpm triplets! i did spend about 5 hours a day on alt picking thought lol this week is all legato! GL Guys

i'm sorry, i find statements like this completely incomprehensible. i really don't mean to call you out, but i'm just in complete disbelief. if i understood you correctly, what you are saying is that you went from zero to sixteenth notes @ 140 bpm in a week!? i have so many questions, i don't know where to start. are we talking really playing, or just unintelligible, uncontrollable, unrepeatable noise? have you looked at any of pavel's alt picking exercises? are we talking that clean? alt picking is the hardest of all techniques to master, bare none. i have spent the last ten months on just it, and nothing else. at two hours/day, seven days per week, i figure, with my progress, i have about another two years before i will be at near pavel's level as he is today. currently i can play all his alt picking exercises @ 120 - 130 sixteenths. i go for absolute cleanliness, and control. cranking up speed very, very gradually, when i feel comfortable. at this point it takes me months to get 5 bpm progress. i can't possibly believe that you leapfrogged me like this in a week, even @24/day practice. prove it. post a recording. if your that good, i'll bow to your greatness.

boris

+Quote Post
Paul Coutts
Feb 13 2008, 06:51 AM
Um...let's see....I've FINALLY figured out most of the Fretboard....as in all the little bits that connect everything up smile.gif
Great help, I can now play all CAGED triad arpeggio, scale, and chord shapes in all positions, (now I am going to go throught he circle of fifths etc, and learn to play completely in key without guessing)
I'm also half way to memorizing the 7 3-note-per-string scales, (which I realized are the modes biggrin.gif).
Anyways, I'm quite happy with my progress.
My legato is improving, as well as sweep picking, albeit slowly, but still some improvement. I feel much more endurance whilst playing, stronger, and more confident (in the hands). It's an awesome feeling, after all the exercises it's paying off a littel biggrin.gif
Cheers

--------------------
Gear - Ibanez RG350EX, Ibanez RG220DX, ESP LTD MH250, Line 6 PODx3, Laney TF100, Ibanez SM7, Ibanez RG ?

+Quote Post
Outlaw2112
Feb 13 2008, 07:05 AM
Since all i do is play rhythms on the guitar, ive decided to run pavels speed picking lesson.. Im still having problems with the metronome, i can play it at 200 bpm at one note per beat, but im totally confused on anything else.. I always seem to lose count when counting fast... I have been learning one to two songs a night on rhythm guitar though... Mainly easy metal that sounds cool... Just finished learning F***ing hostile from pantera tonight.. Hopefully ill get better at using the metronome and my scale runs soon.. 3-4 hours of practice a night should start to pay off soon..

--------------------

+Quote Post
Juan M. Valero
Feb 13 2008, 07:59 AM
Instructor
Now I'm improving my video quality biggrin.gif I wish you enjoy my next lesson wink.gif
(well I'm improving my speaking too, but it's more difficult laugh.gif)

+Quote Post
ch00ch00man
Feb 13 2008, 08:13 AM
QUOTE (Outlaw2112 @ Feb 13 2008, 02:05 AM) *
Since all i do is play rhythms on the guitar, ive decided to run pavels speed picking lesson.. Im still having problems with the metronome, i can play it at 200 bpm at one note per beat, but im totally confused on anything else.. I always seem to lose count when counting fast... I have been learning one to two songs a night on rhythm guitar though... Mainly easy metal that sounds cool... Just finished learning F***ing hostile from pantera tonight.. Hopefully ill get better at using the metronome and my scale runs soon.. 3-4 hours of practice a night should start to pay off soon..

SLOW DOWN!!!!!!!!!! no really, it sounds simple, but thats all there is to it. play it in your head first. tap your foot. @ 50 bpm it should be slow enough for you to concentrate on the rhythm of the metronome. crank it up gradually. it take massive amounts of time to get good technique. there are no shortcuts. none.

boris

PS NO, 3-4 hours a night will NOT pay off soon. it doesn't work like that. muscle memory takes time. be patient.

+Quote Post
wrk
Feb 13 2008, 12:17 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (ch00ch00man @ Feb 13 2008, 06:23 AM) *
i'm sorry, i find statements like this completely incomprehensible. i really don't mean to call you out, but i'm just in complete disbelief. if i understood you correctly, what you are saying is that you went from zero to sixteenth notes @ 140 bpm in a week!? i have so many questions, i don't know where to start. are we talking really playing, or just unintelligible, uncontrollable, unrepeatable noise? have you looked at any of pavel's alt picking exercises? are we talking that clean? alt picking is the hardest of all techniques to master, bare none. i have spent the last ten months on just it, and nothing else. at two hours/day, seven days per week, i figure, with my progress, i have about another two years before i will be at near pavel's level as he is today. currently i can play all his alt picking exercises @ 120 - 130 sixteenths. i go for absolute cleanliness, and control. cranking up speed very, very gradually, when i feel comfortable. at this point it takes me months to get 5 bpm progress. i can't possibly believe that you leapfrogged me like this in a week, even @24/day practice. prove it. post a recording. if your that good, i'll bow to your greatness.

boris

Hey Boris, someone did progress here!! Maybe with another look on details at the moment as you do (good thing by the way), but i think everybody is having this moment where you crank up the amp, add a lot of effects and go for speed legato runs with uncontrolled and not synchronized picking ... at least i do and it feels damn good for a while. Then i go back to practice in the way you described it. What you call "unintelligible, uncontrollable, unrepeatable noise" has a learning effect as well in my option. Maybe i got your message wrong, but it sounds a kind of harsh ..

+Quote Post
ch00ch00man
Feb 13 2008, 06:21 PM
QUOTE (wrk @ Feb 13 2008, 07:17 AM) *
Hey Boris, someone did progress here!! Maybe with another look on details at the moment as you do (good thing by the way), but i think everybody is having this moment where you crank up the amp, add a lot of effects and go for speed legato runs with uncontrolled and not synchronized picking ... at least i do and it feels damn good for a while. Then i go back to practice in the way you described it. What you call "unintelligible, uncontrollable, unrepeatable noise" has a learning effect as well in my option. Maybe i got your message wrong, but it sounds a kind of harsh ..

hm, well, yeah, i guess it was kind of harsh. i know everyones tastes are different. i know not everyone goes for virtuosity. but, i just cant help it. i look back on my life, and think about all the wasted years because there was no one at the time to point out the insanity of my approach, and i just have to say something.

btw, i completely disagree. the "fun" you are describing is, in my opinion, completely counter productive. you send mixed signals to your muscles. recovering from one of those "fun" sessions takes longer then you think. and, if as i suspect, the achievement was dubious, no, no progress was made.

boris

+Quote Post
DeepRoots
Feb 13 2008, 06:27 PM
Get to da Chopper!
This week i got more comfortable with playing modally- next step is to be able to play each mode in all 7 positions in every key- then take it all over the neck. Bit of an improvement thats almost worthy of mention i guess tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Capt.Z
Feb 29 2008, 06:59 PM
I've improved my alternate picking. laugh.gif and i got alot faster!

--------------------

GMC IS TIGHT DAWG

+Quote Post
superize
Mar 8 2008, 07:17 PM
Ultimate Tone Guru
I feel that i have improved my sync between righ and left hand.....I cn now play alternate picking faster and more relaxed witch i feel is great....i feel that my playing is more smoth now rolleyes.gif

--------------------
My Gear

Ibanez RG
Jackson js30 warrior
jackson rr24
Line 6 Spider III amp
Line 6 pod xt live
Washburn acoustic

Youtube Account
My bands Myspace

+Quote Post
Roko
Mar 9 2008, 09:15 AM
I can go into little speedpicking breaks between riffs, it makes my playing a lot more varied and soon I hope i'll be able to get it all along the fretboard.

+Quote Post
Marcus Siepen
Mar 16 2008, 05:14 PM
Instructor (Blind Guardian)
My skill in painting walls improved big time during the last weeks, and along with this my vocalulary for cursing tongue.gif

--------------------
Guitars: various Gibson Les Pauls / Gibson J 45
Amps: Mesa Boogie Tripple Rectifier / Triaxis / 2:90 Poweramp / Rectocabs
Effects: Rocktron Intellifex / Rocktron Xpression
Homepage: www.marcussiepen.com www.blind-guardian.com
Check out my video lessons!

+Quote Post
audiopaal
Mar 16 2008, 06:22 PM
Competitions Coordinator - Up the Irons
QUOTE (Marcus Siepen @ Mar 16 2008, 05:14 PM) *
My skill in painting walls improved big time during the last weeks, and along with this my vocalulary for cursing tongue.gif

Haha, know what you mean laugh.gif
I think I invented quite a few curses while painting walls last time wink.gif

+Quote Post

15 Pages V  « < 9 10 11 12 13 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 03:57 PM