Beginner Chords Etc..
eschlic
Dec 10 2007, 01:54 AM
GMC:er
Just curious if the best way to learn is to stick to the chords for awhile and also what are good songs to play with beginner chords?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Nick325
Dec 10 2007, 01:56 AM
what chords do u know?

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
eschlic
Dec 10 2007, 02:01 AM
Not much as of now just going through them.. Just looking ahead a bit so I can be prepared. I want to learn the chords then work on the transitions but it is always nice to have a song you could stumble with or two

+Quote Post
Nick325
Dec 10 2007, 02:06 AM
are u gunna learn a lesson hear? if so which one so ill find the chords and tell u some songs.

+Quote Post
eschlic
Dec 10 2007, 04:18 AM
QUOTE (Nick325 @ Dec 9 2007, 07:06 PM) *
are u gunna learn a lesson hear? if so which one so ill find the chords and tell u some songs.

Do you have one that you recommend??

+Quote Post
Nick325
Dec 10 2007, 04:19 AM
this one looks easy for beginning chords

a song with those chords is knocking of heavens door by guns n roses

another one

The Silent Man and Solitary Shell byDream Theater have those chords in it

after those if u search chords theres a bunch to learn different keys, positions of the same chords and more advanced chords

good luck

This post has been edited by Nick325: Dec 10 2007, 04:29 AM

+Quote Post
nickmarx12345678
Dec 10 2007, 04:49 AM
Let It Be - Beatles
Hotel Yorba - The white stripes
Hardest Button to Button - The White Stripes
Jesus of Suburbia - Green Day
If I were you - Hoobastank (good one for chords)
Hey there delilah - Plain White Tees (fingerpick)
Colossal - Wolfmother
Those are a couple I learned on and i think they are fun. I would really strongly suggest you try to figure out the chords used by yourself for a while before you look up the tabs or chords. It will help you to be a better player, take my word for it
Have fun

--------------------
ROCK ON!!!!

+Quote Post
mattacuk
Dec 10 2007, 10:21 AM
Lets go fishing!
QUOTE (eschlic @ Dec 10 2007, 12:54 AM) *
Just curious if the best way to learn is to stick to the chords for awhile and also what are good songs to play with beginner chords?

A good idea might be to practice chords and some begginer licks at the same time. By studying a couple techniques everyday you will have a more interesting practice routine ! smile.gif And most of all it should be more fun for you.

By all means practice chords and songs if you wish, but try to mix and match a few techniques and you should progress well ! cool.gif

Dont be afraid to try "harder" stuff like speed picking, pentatonic licks, tapping etc because practicing more advanced things is what can make you an advanced player ! smile.gif

This post has been edited by mattacuk: Dec 10 2007, 10:33 AM

--------------------
mysql> SELECT * FROM master_name WHERE ((firstname = 'Paul') AND (lastname = 'Gilbert'));

"The Fundimental Difference between Paul Gilbert and Buckethead is that Paul Explores the Good side of the force, while Buckethead Explores the Dark Side of the Force" :)

+Quote Post
Batista
Dec 10 2007, 11:53 AM
These two are very good for beginners:

Rise Against - Give It All
AFI - God Called In Sick Today

The first song Is good because it is more of punk song, so you'll need to switch chords and so on pretty fast which is good practice.

The second song is even better, because the intro is picked chords, even though most of the song is in power chords in different ways. It's not so fast, but it is very melodic and a lot of different positions and stuff. You'll also find palm muting in this song, but you can surely play it withouth too. This was the first song I ever learned on an electrical guitar, except Guitar Boogie which I learned on an acoustic.

Just send me a pm if you want me to find you some tabs or anything.

Good luck!
Cheers,
Batista

--------------------
Seven Deadly Sins, One Deadly Syn

Gear list:
Gibson Les Paul Studio Alpine White
Schecter Damien-6
Vox AD30VT
Boss DS-1
Boss MT-2

+Quote Post
David.C.Bond
Dec 10 2007, 01:11 PM
For beginner chords you cant beat
The Animals - House of the rising sun

A classic campfire song with only 5 chords:

Am / C / D / F /
Am / C / E / E /
Am / C / D / F /
Am / E / Am / E/

Strum away!

+Quote Post
Gerald
Dec 10 2007, 02:59 PM
I'd also suggest some AC/DC stuff. A lot of simple triad chords. I learned the intro and chorus to Back in Black - it's mainly just E / A / D. I don't have the tabs, but I'm sure with a google search it would come up.

David O'Tool's lessons are good beginning your chord journey. I also agree with matt that beginner licks would be a good addition to practice. Lastly, make sure to read some of Andrew's theory lessons. smile.gif

This post has been edited by Gerald: Dec 10 2007, 03:00 PM

+Quote Post
mattacuk
Dec 10 2007, 05:11 PM
Lets go fishing!
P.S Dont forget to try other techniques !!!

--------------------
mysql> SELECT * FROM master_name WHERE ((firstname = 'Paul') AND (lastname = 'Gilbert'));

"The Fundimental Difference between Paul Gilbert and Buckethead is that Paul Explores the Good side of the force, while Buckethead Explores the Dark Side of the Force" :)

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Dec 10 2007, 05:17 PM
Instructor
Try some easy RHCP stuff man, or House of the rising sun, hotel california etc.. smile.gif

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Jerry Arcidiacon...
Dec 11 2007, 12:25 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Nick325 @ Dec 10 2007, 04:19 AM) *
this one looks easy for beginning chords

a song with those chords is knocking of heavens door by guns n roses

another one

The Silent Man and Solitary Shell byDream Theater have those chords in it

I know these lessons... huh.gif laugh.gif

--------------------

::: Main Gear :::

Guitars: Washburn N4 Vintage | Washburn N2 | Washburn WI67Pro | Washburn WG-587 | Washburn EA20B
Amps: Laney GH50L (head) | Laney GS410 & GS212IE (cabinets) | Rocktron PROGAP Ultra (rack preamp) | Rocktron Velocity 150 (power amp) | Marshall VS230 (combo)
FXs: Rocktron Intellifex + custom pedalboard (check my video demo)
Other: Shredneck | Intellitouch PT10 tuner
Picks: Esseti Picks

Software & Recording Gear: Cubase 4 | Overloud TH1 | Mackie Onyx 400F | EZdrummer | Korg Pandora PX4D

-------------------------------------------------------

myspace.com/jerryarcidiacono

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Dec 11 2007, 01:17 AM
Moderation Policy Director
QUOTE (David.C.Bond @ Dec 10 2007, 07:11 AM) *
For beginner chords you cant beat
The Animals - House of the rising sun

A classic campfire song with only 5 chords:

Am / C / D / F /
Am / C / E / E /
Am / C / D / F /
Am / E / Am / E/

Strum away!

Ahh, a real classic smile.gif

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
rokchik
Dec 11 2007, 01:47 AM
The Dark Canuck
A few I'd recommend are

Yer So Bad - Tom Petty
Ring of Fire - Johnny Cash
Heart of Gold - Neil Young
Wonderwall - Oasis

These were the first songs I learned when I started playing along with House of the Rising Sun. All pretty easy and not to many chords. Wonderwall is probably the hardest from that list but still pretty easy to learn.

rok

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 01:38 PM