Question About Restringing
helo92
Jun 19 2009, 11:23 PM
GMC:er
hey guys

I want to restring my Ibanez with thicker strings atm I use 9-42 and now I wanna use 11-50 and I read many diffrent things about that stuff and now I want to ask you how to do it the best way

link to my guitar: http://www.thomann.de/de/ibanez_grg170dxlbkn_lefthand.htm

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
<a href="http://www.wacken.com/" target="_blank"><embed src="http://banner.wacken.com/banner/WOA_Banner2010_468x60_090904_cw.swf" quality="high" width="468" height="60"></embed></a>
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
The Farmer
Jun 19 2009, 11:42 PM
Ahh man. I remember restringin my Jackson guitar with 11 strings gauge from 09 and the bridge on my guitar couldnt hold the tension from the thicker strings. Since then ive preffered guitars without floating bridges(or what its called).

Dont know though if thats a regular case with those bridges as with mine.

but i would expect that your guitar wouldnt be able use strings that are 11 or more than 09.

Hope this makes some kind of sense biggrin.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
audiopaal
Jun 19 2009, 11:51 PM
Competitions Coordinator - Up the Irons
I think your bridge should hold up just fine, although you might have to intonate your guitar again..
I've never had problems with 11-54 strings on my guitars, but some might though..

I have fixed bridges on mine, I think you have to from the looks of the guitar in the link smile.gif

+Quote Post
helo92
Jun 20 2009, 02:22 PM
thanks guys smile.gif

--------------------
<a href="http://www.wacken.com/" target="_blank"><embed src="http://banner.wacken.com/banner/WOA_Banner2010_468x60_090904_cw.swf" quality="high" width="468" height="60"></embed></a>

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
Jun 20 2009, 02:37 PM
You shouldn't have any problems switching to heavier strings. As Paal says, you may need to adjust the intonation slightly and also tighten the Spring tension (Tighten the Spring Claw in the back of the Guitar) to compensate for the extra string tension!
biggrin.gif

--------------------
I'd rather have a full Bottle in front of me than a full Frontal Lobotomy!!

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jun 20 2009, 11:39 PM
Instructor
You shouldn't worry, but I advise you take it to guitar tech let him put new gauge and setup the guitar properly. This is the less painful thing to do trust me.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Matt23
Jun 21 2009, 10:46 AM
Accomplished Tone Master
I'm afraid I can't help you with this, but I have the same guitar as you, and I just wondered. Does yours go out of tune incredibly easily? Because if it doesn't then maybe tehre is a flaw with mine that can be fixed.

+Quote Post
Gus
Jun 21 2009, 11:22 AM
Ah, I don't know man... unsure.gif

First, I strongly suggest yo to follow Ivan's advice and take it to a guitar tech. 9-42 to 11-54 is a huge change in a floating bridge guitar.

I had 9-42 on from factory and tried 10-46 on mine guitar and I had to put the screws that hold the springs fully into the body just to get a decent tension (still too high tension to my taste). I end up using it tuned in Eb and after some months back to 9-42. If I ever try thicker strings on this guitar again I will definitely add an extra spring.

If you really want to play 11-54, I suggest you to follow the advice here and use a 4th spring, maybe even a 5th:
http://www.ibanezrules.com/tech/setup/angle.htm

This post has been edited by Gus: Jun 21 2009, 11:24 AM

--------------------
my "Thank you GMC!" video

If you like it please vote in the competition ;-)

Gus Stairway to Guitar Heaven - my practice agenda

Check out my lesson here Phrygian Dominant Solo lesson

Gear : Ibanez RGT320q (I just love the neck-thru sustain), Washburn EA-20SDL (acoustic 6 string), Standard strat (Mexico), POD X3 Live

Some of my Guitar heroes: Jimmy Page, Slash, Kirk Hammett, Augusto Licks, Joe Satriani, Gus G, David Gilmour, Mark Knopfler...

+Quote Post
Skalde
Jun 21 2009, 02:19 PM
Learning Roadie
When I restringed my Ibanez(from 9-42 to 9-52) I had to bring it to a guitar tech. to set it up probably biggrin.gif
He also installed a Black Box into my Tremolo - I had never a problem again.

+Quote Post
helo92
Jun 22 2009, 04:49 PM
QUOTE (Matt23 @ Jun 21 2009, 11:46 AM) *
I'm afraid I can't help you with this, but I have the same guitar as you, and I just wondered. Does yours go out of tune incredibly easily? Because if it doesn't then maybe tehre is a flaw with mine that can be fixed.

no...
not very easy
it's not out of tune after each song or so... I tune it once a day and then it's ok

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 11:23 AM