New Beginner Guitar Advice
Mygas
Jun 23 2009, 05:43 AM
GMC:er
So I've been playing for about a year on a rather...sub-par...Telecaster. Not a Fender brand, some knock off brand-less. Basically the guy I bought it from really sold me a nice hard case for $20 and threw in the guitar for free knowing I was just starting.

Anyway, a few of my more expert buddies told me to get something...anything...better. I also feel like I've outgrown the thing, and it really needs bigger than DIY work. (New frets for one...) It's also got that Tele-sound to it which is great and all...but I'm more into the heavier rock. (Rise Against, Disturbed, Seether, etc.)

...but I'm also a college student...and budget aint exactly great at all.

So basically I've been looking at replacement beginner guitars...something that can actually have action relatively decent. (Current guitar's action I sware is double what a stock Tele should be) I've come across the Epiphone Les Paul Special II and Epiphone SG Special. (Both retailing at $170)

I think the Les Paul (Vintage Sunburst) looks better, but the size and weight really detract me from it. On the other hand the SG, while lighter and from what it seems like more playable...is rather plain. Especially since I've spent the last two hours trying to find someone who sells pickguards for it to no avail.

I'd love to hear input on the two of those above but the real question is...if I REALLY squeeze my budget I can pick up a Epiphone G-310. Best of both worlds, lighter than a LP but something I can actually customize the look with. Also separate tone and volume controls for the pickups is I'm sure a plus...although I'm still too beginner to care about such things honestly.

So, is the G-310 REALLY worth the extra $80? Or should I stick with one of the other options until I'm good enough to warrant a mid-level $1000 purchase.

Also, any other suggestions in this price range would be awesome!

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Fran
Jun 23 2009, 07:42 AM
Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
I'd save and get a Epi G-400. I've got one and love it.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Jun 23 2009, 01:14 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
Hmm I don't have any experience with guitars you mentioned. From "cheap" guitars I can recommend Yamaha Pacifica guitar ( http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product...itar?sku=519177 ). Its a very good instrument for the price.

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Mygas
Jun 23 2009, 09:56 PM
Really appreciate all the advice ya'll.

I'm really considering the Dean Vendetta 1...
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product...itar?sku=512914

After all the other research and friends suggestions and whatnot. I'm so stoked about the wood gloss look, and from what I've read it's not really got big issues in terms of sound and playability. I'll prolly change out the pickups sometime though...anyone have experience with this, or any Vendetta line?

This post has been edited by Mygas: Jun 23 2009, 09:57 PM

+Quote Post
Praetorian
Jun 24 2009, 12:49 PM
Learning Apprentice Player & Challenge Star
I would advise you to take a good look at a Yamaha Pacifica 012 or 112. OUTSTANDING beginner guitars for the money! You can get one in great shape used for around $100.

Like this one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Yamaha-Pacifica-Electr...alenotsupported

This post has been edited by Praetorian: Jun 24 2009, 12:51 PM

--------------------
Ben

Fender American Standard Stratocaster
Ibanez RG4EXQM1

+Quote Post
sted
Jun 24 2009, 12:56 PM
Learning Rock Star
+1 on this, the beauty of this is it uses the stratocaster format so there are millions of different pickups and hardware upgrades, of course the ultimate guitar will always be a strat, no wait a Les Paul, or maybe a tele..........

I would be wary of the cheaper Deans myself, but as the saying goes, you got to try 'em all and see what you like!

+Quote Post
sidewas lightnin...
Jun 24 2009, 12:58 PM
I don't think you will be that satisfied with a lp special or studio. Its not going to be a huge step up from your tele. Instead, I would go with an sg if you wanted to stick with epiphone. Why? Sg's are always cheaper than les pauls with very similar features. So while it would cost you $500 to get an les paul standard, you can get a sg 400 (which plays just as good) for around 300 if you're lucky on ebay or som like that.

--------------------
I spelled my username wrong...I didn't even think that was possible!

Look at the topic for my guitar...
Finished Guitar Build

Gear:
Homemade strat (You still need to look at its topic!)
Squier strat (probably going to get rid of it and get another guitar instead) :)
Line 6 spider amp (not actually used for anything, just acts as a speaker)
Digitech Gnx2 (kind of old, but cheap, and sounds amazing!)

+Quote Post
DenisN
Jun 24 2009, 01:45 PM
Learning Roadie
I would also go with Yamaha. These are really great cheap guitars. I have two friends who bought Dean guitars and the quality of the new ones is visibly lower. Dean imports are not as good as they were.

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jun 25 2009, 12:59 AM
Instructor
I recommend Yamaha Pacifica with two humbuckers, very nice guitar and a solid upgrade.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
kcoddington
Jun 25 2009, 03:55 AM
I would have to discourage you from the Vendetta purchase. Trust me, you'll get what you pay for. I played my cousin's and it felt like playing a toy guitar.

+Quote Post
Mygas
Jun 25 2009, 07:15 AM
Really do appreciate all the feedback guys....this place is awesome! I can already tell I'll be here awhile...

To be honest...I'm really not a fan of the strat-style...idk why, (especially as I'm so new to guitar), I just feel it's too standard. Though I'm sure the reason for this is because it's a perfected guitar wink.gif

I ended up getting the Dean...quite frankly ANYTHING is better than my current tele...which just snapped week-old strings today for no apparent reason.

I'll be back preaching "I'm not worthy" to ya'll if it comes out to be as ya'll predicted. Although...I got a feeling I wouldn't even be able to tell the difference with my inexperience. Again, thanks for everything ya'll!!!

EDIT - Just found out the store has a 45-day no questions asked return policy. I'll prolly end up taking the Dean to a couple of pros I know locally...see what they think about the particular one I get. At least I wont be losing anything except time if it turns out to be trash.

This post has been edited by Mygas: Jun 25 2009, 07:24 AM

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th March 2024 - 03:11 AM