2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Emg 81/85, Adding another battery
Outlaw2112
Dec 6 2008, 03:32 AM
GMC:er
Has anyone added another battery to their EMG's? Ive heard that 18 volts sounds alot better than 9 out of the EMGs

Im considering doing this and wanted to research it more

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Trond Vold
Dec 6 2008, 04:55 AM
Instructor
I've never heard of this before.. But there's quite alot about it on the web it seems, looks really tempting to try!

I'm reading through this: http://home.comcast.net/~mgollihur/emgmod.html

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Guitars: Schecter Stiletto Classic, Jackson SLSMG, Ibanez RG-380 Japan, Gibson Les Paul Studio

Amp: Marshall JMP-1 -> Rocktron Velocity 100 -> Marshall JCM-900 Lead 4x12

FX and stomps: T.C Electronics G-Sharp, Korg SDD-1200, Emma Transmorgrifier, BYOC Tribooster, GGG Green Ringer, Dinosaur Overdrive, Voodoo Lab SuperFuzz, Sovtek Bassballs, Line6 Tap Tremolo, EHX Screaming Bird.

My Instructor Board!

My Myspace!

+Quote Post
fatb0t
Dec 6 2008, 10:43 PM
Hm, I might try that in my hellraiser...

+Quote Post
Jad Diab
Dec 6 2008, 10:45 PM
Instructor (former GMCer Zizi Top)
looks like an interesting idea .. I might try it too .. I think that it depends on what sound you're looking after

--------------------
I endorse Sp custom pickups

Check out some of my work :
Youtube
GMC lessons
Myspace

+Quote Post
MickeM
Dec 6 2008, 10:48 PM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
QUOTE (Outlaw2112 @ Dec 6 2008, 03:32 AM) *
Has anyone added another battery to their EMG's? Ive heard that 18 volts sounds alot better than 9 out of the EMGs

Im considering doing this and wanted to research it more

I remember there was a thread about it at GMC quite some time ago, I think there was a description on "how to" aswell. Should be easy thoug, biggest problem would be to fit the second battery biggrin.gif
Yeah, they claim the sound's better on on fronts. I belive those EMG's can run on 27 Volts but best result is from 18V

This post has been edited by MickeM: Dec 6 2008, 10:49 PM

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
Dec 6 2008, 10:53 PM
Learning Tone Master
They become more open but loose that EMG trademark sound. Some like it, some dislike it.

To do a 18v mod you just have to put another 9volt battery into the circuit, it doesn't matter before or after the first battery. Just cut the wire and put a second 9v in.

--------------------

Gear:
- Jackson USA Select KV2 King V with EMG 81/85
- Gibson Les Paul Custom Arctic White with EMG 81/85
- Ibanez Rg 8527 J Custom 7-String with DiMarzio Evolution and Air Norton

- Peavey 6505+ head with Marshall 1960AV 4x12 cab
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Practice Amp
- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

+Quote Post
Outlaw2112
Dec 7 2008, 12:10 AM
This guy did a sound test on his guitar with a 9 volt and with a 18 volt..

--------------------

+Quote Post
vikingraider1
Dec 11 2008, 11:52 PM
I've done this to my Washburn Idol WI66 ANC. Its gone from 9-volt to 24volt with a clever little gadget I bought from an Ebay seller. It uses two small Ni-Cad 12v batteries placed in a custom made holder which takes up exactly the same amount of room as a normal square PP3 battery. The diffeence is huge. It removes the gritty, compressed sound of the EMGs and opens them up a lot more. It only cost me £8 as well, including the batteries.

This post has been edited by vikingraider1: Dec 11 2008, 11:53 PM

--------------------
My Gear
Washburn USA Custom Shop Idol, Washburn WI65 Idol, Washburn WI64 Idol, Schecter C-1 Exotic, Schecter C-1 Stealth, Washburn WI66ANC Nick Catanese Signature, 1980s Burny Les Paul, Peavey Wolfgang Standard, Peavey 5150 MKI Combo, Marshall DSL 201, Morely Mark Tremonti Wah, Decimater Noise Gate, Zoom G2 1.u, Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster,
Basses:
Fender Jazz Bass, Fender Precision, Warwick Corvette 5 String

+Quote Post
Outlaw2112
Dec 11 2008, 11:54 PM
QUOTE (vikingraider1 @ Dec 11 2008, 11:52 PM) *
I've done this to my Washburn Idol WI66 ANC. Its gone from 9-volt to 24volt with a clever little gadget I bought from an Ebay seller. It uses two small Ni-Cad 12v batteries placed in a custom made holder which takes up exactly the same amount of room as a normal square PP3 battery. The diffeence is huge. It removes the gritty, compressed sound of the EMGs and opens them up a lot more. It only cost me £8 as well, including the batteries.

can you post what it looks like? and what it is called?

thanks

--------------------

+Quote Post
vikingraider1
Dec 12 2008, 01:01 AM

This is what it looks like - a normall PP3 battery on the right and the 24 volt power pack on the left. As you can see it has normal battery connections and simply fits in the battery cavity. The ebay seller who sells these is called pauln4813

--------------------
My Gear
Washburn USA Custom Shop Idol, Washburn WI65 Idol, Washburn WI64 Idol, Schecter C-1 Exotic, Schecter C-1 Stealth, Washburn WI66ANC Nick Catanese Signature, 1980s Burny Les Paul, Peavey Wolfgang Standard, Peavey 5150 MKI Combo, Marshall DSL 201, Morely Mark Tremonti Wah, Decimater Noise Gate, Zoom G2 1.u, Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster,
Basses:
Fender Jazz Bass, Fender Precision, Warwick Corvette 5 String

+Quote Post
Outlaw2112
Dec 12 2008, 01:53 AM
QUOTE (vikingraider1 @ Dec 12 2008, 01:01 AM) *

This is what it looks like - a normall PP3 battery on the right and the 24 volt power pack on the left. As you can see it has normal battery connections and simply fits in the battery cavity. The ebay seller who sells these is called pauln4813

Cool thanks alot... im gonna try it out and get one

Ive never heard of a nicad 12volt battery, can you buy them everywhere?

This post has been edited by Outlaw2112: Dec 12 2008, 01:53 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Outlaw2112
Dec 12 2008, 05:17 AM
I just ordered one from ebay...

--------------------

+Quote Post
Praetorian
Dec 12 2008, 12:43 PM
Learning Apprentice Player & Challenge Star
QUOTE (Outlaw2112 @ Dec 11 2008, 11:17 PM) *
I just ordered one from ebay...

Do you have a link to the auction?

--------------------
Ben

Fender American Standard Stratocaster
Ibanez RG4EXQM1

+Quote Post
lcsdds
Dec 12 2008, 01:13 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Praetorian @ Dec 12 2008, 12:43 PM) *
Do you have a link to the auction?

I just ordered one as well. Looks pretty cool. I wonder if you could use it with the seymour duncan blackouts?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...em=300279595902

+Quote Post
skennington
Dec 12 2008, 02:37 PM
Learning Roadie - Never Give Up - Moderator
Thanks for the heads up Outlaw. Just bought one myself. I'm interested to hear the difference. smile.gif

+Quote Post
enforcer
Dec 12 2008, 05:52 PM
I'll try to help if I may. Actually building one for yourself is relatively easy. And I believe I can also help you building a 9v-18v switch too.

You need only 3 things.

-A DPDT center off switch
-Some cables, soldering iron etc. Switch
-a 9v snap connector Like the one here

you can all find these from your local radioshack or equivalent.

Remove the back plate and 9v battery. There should be two cables going to battery snap. One red and one black. Like as follows:

CODE

Pickup System
I____________red________(+) Battery
I____________black______(-) Side

Cut the red wire and remove the insulation at the the both endings. Prepare both endings to soldier. (apply soldier to both cables but dont soldier them!)

now we have something as follows:

CODE

Pickup System
I___________red(1) /you performed cut here/ red(2)__________(+) battery
I____________________black_____________________________________________(-)

An Dpdt way switch is something like this
Switch

CODE

/
-----(A)-o (B )o o(C )----
-----(D)-o (E)o o(F)----

When switched to the right side it connects B to C and E to F and otherwise A to B and D to E.

firstly, you need to soldier (2) (the red cable coming from the old 9v snap) to (C ) one of the edge pins it's not important now but at the new step it becomes important.

now we have to soldier (1) (pickup side of the red wire you just cut) to (B ) pin of the switch. (to the middle one next to one you just soldiered) There you go.

Now take your new 9v snap connector (that you bought form radioshack) and remove the insulation at the endings of both cables. Prepare them for soldering.

its something like that:

9v cable

CODE

o(3)--------------------------red------(+)
o(4)-------------------------black-----(-)

now it is some soldering work from here....

solder 3 to a and 4 to d. It means red cable from 9v cable snap to the pin next to the middle one you just soldiered.

and 4 is the black cable from the new 9v snap to the pin on the switch that is bellow a. Now you soldier a new cable to the middle pin that is unconnected ( (E) at this point), to © (the pin that you soldiered red cable from the old 9v snap-the very first soldiering work you did in this tutorial)

And you are good to go. Preferably you might drill a hole on the back plate to connect the switch out to make it switchable even between songs.

Not this has to look like this:

CODE
Pickup system
I_________________________black_____________________________(-)
I___________red wire____________ Old 9v snap
I ___red wire_(+)
_______(A) (B ) (C )_____I
I SWITCH____/
I /
I (D) (E) (F) (unconnected)
I I
I I
I I_______________black_________________(-)
red New 9v snap
I____________________________________________(+)
I hope this wasnt so complicated. I had to show this here to give you ability to switch between 9v and 18v modes.

Good luck and feel free to ask...

edit: typo

This post has been edited by enforcer: Dec 13 2008, 03:42 AM

--------------------

incoming spoiler read it at your own risk!

Spoiler:

Vigier G.V Wood HH
American Stratocaster Maple Standart with X2N bridge pickups
Samwick Artist custom modified Baswood Lespaul with S.Duncan JB and N56 pickups
Self made Fretless Strat type made of Rosewood/Maple with self wound Neck and Ibanez V8 Bridge Pickups
Floor Pod 2.0 Amp Simulation System
Pod Xt Pro Rack Amp Simulation System
Digitech TSR 12 Rack Effect and Studio Reverb
Behringer Composer Rack Compressor Expander
Morley Bad Horsie Wah Pedal
Behringer FB1010 Floor Board

it, surely, spoiled me!!!

and may the force be with you :)

+Quote Post
Trond Vold
Dec 12 2008, 11:07 PM
Instructor
That was a mighty fine guide enforcer smile.gif .. I'm tempted to give it a go

This post has been edited by Trond Vold: Dec 12 2008, 11:07 PM

--------------------
Guitars: Schecter Stiletto Classic, Jackson SLSMG, Ibanez RG-380 Japan, Gibson Les Paul Studio

Amp: Marshall JMP-1 -> Rocktron Velocity 100 -> Marshall JCM-900 Lead 4x12

FX and stomps: T.C Electronics G-Sharp, Korg SDD-1200, Emma Transmorgrifier, BYOC Tribooster, GGG Green Ringer, Dinosaur Overdrive, Voodoo Lab SuperFuzz, Sovtek Bassballs, Line6 Tap Tremolo, EHX Screaming Bird.

My Instructor Board!

My Myspace!

+Quote Post
Sircraigery
Dec 12 2008, 11:29 PM
For any electronics guys out there:

What advantage will adding another actually do to the circuit? I assume that the EMG's are just regular pickups with an small op-amp as a gain stage on the output of the coil some where.... Would adding this battery increase the rails (or +/-) of the op-amp? Cuz doing this will certainly add more volume output, and maybe even clean it up a bit... But just curious on why this makes a warmer sound.

Sounds like a cool project though. Probably the cheapest mod that you can make to a guitar.

EDIT: Just thought of it, would someone who ordered this and installing themselves, be willing to make a quick recording of the sound with the a little switch to take the second batt out? This way we can see a little more clear the difference in sound.

This post has been edited by Sircraigery: Dec 12 2008, 11:32 PM

--------------------
Guitars:
Ibanez Prestige RG2610E [BKP Cold Sweat]
Ibanez Prestige RG2550E [Carbon Fiber Plastics]
Ibanez Roadstar II RS-135 [Stock]
Quest Acoustic [Stock]

Effects:
Electro-Harmonix Metal Muff
Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah
Boss DR-3 Dr. Rhythym

Amp:
Marshall JCM2000 DSL 401

'Only the dead have seen the end of the war.' - Plato

+Quote Post
enforcer
Dec 13 2008, 03:23 AM
QUOTE (Sircraigery @ Dec 13 2008, 12:29 AM) *
For any electronics guys out there:

What advantage will adding another actually do to the circuit? I assume that the EMG's are just regular pickups with an small op-amp as a gain stage on the output of the coil some where.... Would adding this battery increase the rails (or +/-) of the op-amp? Cuz doing this will certainly add more volume output, and maybe even clean it up a bit... But just curious on why this makes a warmer sound.

Sounds like a cool project though. Probably the cheapest mod that you can make to a guitar.

EDIT: Just thought of it, would someone who ordered this and installing themselves, be willing to make a quick recording of the sound with the a little switch to take the second batt out? This way we can see a little more clear the difference in sound.

I believe EMG's arent using a OP amp integrated circuitry. If so this Op amp has to have a enormous input range because there are some people who operates this with 24V which is 2,666 times more than usual. I believe that has an analog amplifiing system using regular transistors. The theory behind this may be (and this is just speculation) some transistors gets to the saturation range with high input voltage. Maybe some of multiple transistors are saturating and this causing a unbalanced harmonic response (normaly transistors are known to amplify even harmonics and cut the odd ones (in contrast with tubes) which sound generally synthetic, cheesy and cheap to human ear which explains tube demand) and thus resulting in manifestation of odd harmonics which sound good. Or it is just more distortion eliminating compressed stock sound of EMG's. I dont really know.

Hope I could be helpfull.

@Trond

Thank you man, If you decide to apply it, I'll be here whenever I can to help...

--------------------

incoming spoiler read it at your own risk!

Spoiler:

Vigier G.V Wood HH
American Stratocaster Maple Standart with X2N bridge pickups
Samwick Artist custom modified Baswood Lespaul with S.Duncan JB and N56 pickups
Self made Fretless Strat type made of Rosewood/Maple with self wound Neck and Ibanez V8 Bridge Pickups
Floor Pod 2.0 Amp Simulation System
Pod Xt Pro Rack Amp Simulation System
Digitech TSR 12 Rack Effect and Studio Reverb
Behringer Composer Rack Compressor Expander
Morley Bad Horsie Wah Pedal
Behringer FB1010 Floor Board

it, surely, spoiled me!!!

and may the force be with you :)

+Quote Post
kjutte
Dec 13 2008, 04:08 AM
If EMG thought it was best with 18 volt, they'd have 18 volt. I'd say lay off this idea. smile.gif

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 07:50 AM