High E Help
carminemarotta
May 13 2012, 09:55 AM
GMC:er
Goodmorning to all of you.

I have a problem doing bends or vibrato on the high E string (I use 0.09).

Did you experience the same when you were learning? Do you have any suggestion for me?

Thanks
Carmine

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Nihilist1
May 13 2012, 10:27 AM
Learning Apprentice Player
QUOTE (carminemarotta @ May 13 2012, 08:55 AM) *
Goodmorning to all of you.

I have a problem doing bends or vibrato on the high E string (I use 0.09).

Did you experience the same when you were learning? Do you have any suggestion for me?

Thanks
Carmine

This is very common. The only thing I can say is that you have to build up your callouses! If it hurts or if it is tearing a lot of skin, give it a day or two to heal up.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
All the elders have fallen down...

Heal her now...

All the elders have fallen down...

Heal her now...

Grandfather elk
Turned to me
And spoke:

Light the fire deep inside.
Light the fires!

+Quote Post
Dinaga
May 13 2012, 03:13 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
I have problems with bends on the first string too, the problem is that there's not enough sustain so the notes "die" too quickly. Don't know how to fix it though :/

--------------------

+Quote Post
maharzan
May 13 2012, 05:00 PM
Veteran Guitar Lord
Try Classical vibrato on these strings. Ben has a lot of vibrato lessons that could help. smile.gif If you want normal vibrato, practice should make it perfect. smile.gif

--------------------
Checkout my YouTube & my band Nissim's YouTube channels.

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
May 13 2012, 08:10 PM
Instructor
Hi Carmine, what do you mean when you say difficulty. Do you find it difficult to physically perform or difficult to get the right pitch ?

When it comes to vibrato, you can only do 2 things.. either classical (side to side) vibrato or vibrato where you push the string up, like a loads of mini bends strung together smile.gif

+Quote Post
carminemarotta
May 13 2012, 08:17 PM
Thanks to all for the answer.

@ Ben: well, shamefully, both!

Carmine

+Quote Post
derper
May 13 2012, 08:30 PM
Learning Tone Master
I've recently put a lot of effort into this, because of EMULATOR. As Ben already mentioned, you can do the "side-to"side" which I didn't know existed until 2 weeks ago (thanks Ben!!)! Also, you can try to bend "up" towards the low E string. Other than that, I try to now pay special attention to exactly WHERE my finger is placed between the frets when I need to a rockin sustained note on the high E on higher frets. Sometimes, I was unknowingly cutting off the resonance by not having my finger placed precisely between the frets. Also, I pick hard and solid. Between the 3...
-side to side vibrato
-PRECISE fretting (don't cut/dampen your sustain with your finger meat! tongue.gif )
-and if you have the first 2, pick solid like a boss!!

and BAM!! You've got more sustain on a high E string note!! It's been working for me lately, anyway!

QUOTE (Dinaga @ May 13 2012, 07:13 AM) *
I have problems with bends on the first string too, the problem is that there's not enough sustain so the notes "die" too quickly. Don't know how to fix it though :/

--------------------

Check out my awesome Nintendo Cover-band, EMULATOR!!
http://www.reverbnation.com/emulator

Now.....go practice!!

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
May 14 2012, 08:54 AM
Instructor
Hmmmm...... ok, well the boring answer is it will just require more practise !! smile.gif

Also, I imagine that you're spending time slowing the notes down and concentrating on good technique.. so the note may also die out because you're taking it slower and the 'juice' runs out ?

Nihilist referred to the fact about string bending hurting the finger tips. Do you get painful finger tips from bending on the high E ? If so, it is just a case of needing more of it to get used to it.. so just more practise smile.gif No special formula smile.gif

+Quote Post
Bossie
May 14 2012, 11:00 AM
reminds me of my early days..i even knocked off the E string off the fretboard sometimes.
it really takes practice like all things...and not loosing(losing ?? huh.gif ) your grip on the string when bending and vibrating...firm fretting!

On my ibanez there was not a lot of sustain..now on the PRS it's heavenly to keep hearing those high bends soaring into the atmosphere..

This post has been edited by Bossie: May 14 2012, 11:01 AM

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
May 14 2012, 11:45 AM
Instructor
Indeed Carmine, more practice will get you there - I went through this with the .11 high E...what a PAIN laugh.gif

+Quote Post
SirJamsalot
May 15 2012, 12:11 AM
Learning Rock Star
yep - high E is a pain - mostly because you can only bend up into the B'string which will easily ring-out too so you have to be creative about how to silence that bugger! smile.gif Practice makes perfect - just gotta bend it more than you'd like to until it feels natural.

--------------------
The more I practice, the more I wish I had time to practice!
My Band Forum: http://passionfly.site/chat

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
May 19 2012, 02:46 AM
First up, I"d suggest making a short vid on youtube so we can see what going on? I'm sure the GMC crowd can help!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 10:47 AM