Recording Frustration
NoSkill
Apr 23 2009, 03:41 AM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Can someone give me some insight into why this happens?

Whenever I go to record a take, I screw up a different part of the piece with each successive take. I mean, I practice it slow, then at speed, then I get a good feel for it. I hit record and I lose my mind. I screw up basic transitions and even forget parts of the piece. I just want to pull all the strings out of the guitar and jump out of the window! I guess I come by my nickname honestly!

I'm obviously SADHD! Studio Attention Defecit Hyperactive Disorder

Cheers!

Tom in Canada

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

Still looking for my soul mate, guitar.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 12)
Crazy_Diamond
Apr 23 2009, 03:54 AM
Learning Rock Star
I have the same problem ... it is a consequences of stress. If you can put a loop in your recording software and record it a few time I am sure its is going to help you calm down.

Cheers!

Simon in Montréal tongue.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
skennington
Apr 23 2009, 04:23 AM
Learning Roadie - Never Give Up - Moderator
It's the button man, why couldn't they have made it black.. laugh.gif No, really, it's just going to take time. You are focusing more on the recording than your playing.

When trying to record, I set my capture device whether it be video, audio, or video and audio to the maximum length. Then, as I screw up, I start over again. After I have a take I'm satisfied with, I just edit out the bad take's.

I have done that start stop thing many times and it is very frustrating. When you are relaxed and not thinking about it, you will lay down a recording you are happy with. smile.gif

+Quote Post
lcsdds
Apr 23 2009, 05:02 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (skennington @ Apr 23 2009, 04:23 AM) *
It's the button man, why couldn't they have made it black.. laugh.gif No, really, it's just going to take time. You are focusing more on the recording than your playing.

When trying to record, I set my capture device whether it be video, audio, or video and audio to the maximum length. Then, as I screw up, I start over again. After I have a take I'm satisfied with, I just edit out the bad take's.

I have done that start stop thing many times and it is very frustrating. When you are relaxed and not thinking about it, you will lay down a recording you are happy with. smile.gif

I think most people have this problem. I find that the best solution for me is to record it in a loop.....after a few times through you will forget that you are recording and just relax. smile.gif

+Quote Post
Gary
Apr 23 2009, 06:22 AM
GMC:er
I think this is a common problem.. I do it too. Thank God for multiple gigabyte memory cards.
Unfortunately I also suffer from MADHD... Metronome Attention Defecit Hyperactive Disorder laugh.gif
Gary in Cali

+Quote Post
audiopaal
Apr 23 2009, 07:27 AM
Competitions Coordinator - Up the Irons
This is pretty common when starting out recordig (and it lasts a while too tongue.gif)..
I used to go mad when recording, because no matter how well I knew the songs I couldn't follow the metronome if my life depended on it biggrin.gif
But now (note: I've recorded a lot and played a lot after metronome) I have almost no problem recording after a metronome anymore, so practice practice practice smile.gif
It's the only thing that helps really smile.gif

But even now I screw up sometimes, just not so much as before smile.gif

+Quote Post
NoSkill
Apr 23 2009, 01:13 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Looping it is! Thanks guys. It's just frustrating as all get-out sometimes. cool.gif

--------------------

Still looking for my soul mate, guitar.

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Apr 23 2009, 01:26 PM
Instructor
Loop function is very useful in those situations. Also it helps if you create atmosphere in your mind like you are not being recorded but approach it like you are still in your practice session where you are focused all the way.
Hope that helps Tom !

--------------------

+Quote Post
Skalde
Apr 23 2009, 01:30 PM
Learning Roadie
Someone know how to make a loop in reaper? Helpfile says "{" and "}" but doesn't work for me.

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Apr 23 2009, 01:49 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Skalde @ Apr 23 2009, 02:30 PM) *
Someone know how to make a loop in reaper? Helpfile says "{" and "}" but doesn't work for me.

Hold left mouse click to assign the region,
after that click on the button right next to the recording button,
it's like twisted arrows and it represents loop function. smile.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
purple hayes
Apr 23 2009, 02:29 PM
Ultimate Guitar Hero
Does Reaper save every take in the loop or does it just keep the last one?

--------------------
My guitar bits on YouTube: <a href="https://www.youtube.com/duathlon70" target="_blank">https://www.youtube.com/duathlon70</a>

+Quote Post
Skalde
Apr 23 2009, 04:42 PM
Learning Roadie
thanks muris, but one more question. How to make a real loop like :|| and ||: so that I can tell reaper to play a sample for x times?

This post has been edited by Skalde: Apr 23 2009, 04:42 PM

+Quote Post
-Zion-
Apr 27 2009, 10:41 AM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (purple hayes @ Apr 23 2009, 03:29 PM) *
Does Reaper save every take in the loop or does it just keep the last one?

edit: oh.. didn't know there was a special loop function in reaper.. but here is what i do (without the special loop function in reaper)

what you do is copy paste the backing for x number of times (i usually have 5 in a row, but you can do more)..
Then you just begin recording your guitar in reaper.. after all backings you have 1 long guitar and x number of backings..

you can now slice your long guitar recording into smaller chunks so they fit the backings.. thats how i do it anyways..

and i actually grab the best recording and copy it and a backing over in a new reaper project where i mix it properly and then create the final mp3 out of it.. smile.gif

This post has been edited by -Zion-: Apr 27 2009, 10:43 AM

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 11:38 AM