Les Pauls And Tremolo's...
muntahunta
Feb 22 2008, 02:33 PM
Learning Roadie
are there any tremolo systems that can be added to a lespaul?

I have an Epiphone lespaul with a hardtail bridge and was wondering if i could replace the bridge with a tremolo system. obviously i want one that stays in tune and that i can install myself.

are there any like this?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Guitars:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ Dual EMG 81 Pickups. Size 11 Strings.
Ibanez GRG170DX w/ Scallopd frets 17-24 - w/ Dimebucker and APH-1.
Tanglewood TW28 STR DLX CE INDIANA Acoustic Guitar
NEW: Dean Deceiver w/ EMG 81/EMG 85 Pickups
Effects:
Pod XT Live AND Pod X3 Live
Recording:
Cubase SX3

My Bands Myspace
Act Of Silence

Songs:

Fly From The Inside (Cover)
So Far Away
Down
Break The Cycle
Never Again (Cover)
Crash
Wake Me

More Acoustic Songs:
Chris Kerswell Soundclick Page

Check out Munta's Step By Step Songwriting Lesson
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 19)
OrganisedConfusi...
Feb 22 2008, 02:42 PM
GMC:er
A Bigsby Trem can I believe?

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Gear
Guitars:- Caparison Horus Snowcloud, Parker Nitefly M, Parker Nitefly SA, Gibson SG, Parker P10e, 40 Year Old Spanish Acoustic
Amps:- Framus Ruby Riot 2x12" stack

+Quote Post
muntahunta
Feb 22 2008, 03:03 PM
Learning Roadie
i've looked at the bigsby trems and i have no idea what model i would need.

can anyone else figure it out?

thats the body i have

--------------------
Guitars:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ Dual EMG 81 Pickups. Size 11 Strings.
Ibanez GRG170DX w/ Scallopd frets 17-24 - w/ Dimebucker and APH-1.
Tanglewood TW28 STR DLX CE INDIANA Acoustic Guitar
NEW: Dean Deceiver w/ EMG 81/EMG 85 Pickups
Effects:
Pod XT Live AND Pod X3 Live
Recording:
Cubase SX3

My Bands Myspace
Act Of Silence

Songs:

Fly From The Inside (Cover)
So Far Away
Down
Break The Cycle
Never Again (Cover)
Crash
Wake Me

More Acoustic Songs:
Chris Kerswell Soundclick Page

Check out Munta's Step By Step Songwriting Lesson

+Quote Post
OrganisedConfusi...
Feb 22 2008, 03:17 PM
QUOTE (muntahunta @ Feb 22 2008, 02:03 PM) *
i've looked at the bigsby trems and i have no idea what model i would need.

can anyone else figure it out?

thats the body i have

Like this.

--------------------
Gear
Guitars:- Caparison Horus Snowcloud, Parker Nitefly M, Parker Nitefly SA, Gibson SG, Parker P10e, 40 Year Old Spanish Acoustic

+Quote Post
OrganisedConfusi...
Feb 22 2008, 03:21 PM
I think you want one in the 7 series.

Either B7, B70 or B700. The B3 and B30 will also work and you don't need to drill into top smile.gif So basically any in 3 or 7 Series smile.gif

Look here.

http://www.lespaulforum.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1614850

This post has been edited by OrganisedConfusion: Feb 22 2008, 03:25 PM

--------------------
Gear

+Quote Post
Goliath
Feb 22 2008, 03:32 PM
Be careful on pull ups, I was doing some aggressive whammy work on my friend's Epi SG w/ Bigsby (He basically tried to replicate Angus) and I can snap his high E pretty much on demand. Also, if you were on the market for locking tuners, now's a good time to pull the trigger.

--------------------
"King V" enthusiast

+Quote Post
OrganisedConfusi...
Feb 22 2008, 03:36 PM
QUOTE (Goliath @ Feb 22 2008, 02:32 PM) *
Be careful on pull ups, I was doing some aggressive whammy work on my friend's Epi SG w/ Bigsby (He basically tried to replicate Angus) and I can snap his high E pretty much on demand. Also, if you were on the market for locking tuners, now's a good time to pull the trigger.

My friend has a Bigsby on his Les Paul that he did himself and it is awesome. If you install them correctly then they are fine and I know many people who have done it that are very happy with them.

--------------------
Gear

+Quote Post
Goliath
Feb 22 2008, 04:57 PM
For clarification, I was screwing around jumping around just doing pinches all over the place followed by obnoxious legato speed runs then went to do the Herman Li whammy bar slam with it, that's how you break strings on command tongue.gif. a FR can take it, a bigsby cannot.

--------------------
"King V" enthusiast

+Quote Post
OrganisedConfusi...
Feb 22 2008, 06:03 PM
QUOTE (Goliath @ Feb 22 2008, 03:57 PM) *
For clarification, I was screwing around jumping around just doing pinches all over the place followed by obnoxious legato speed runs then went to do the Herman Li whammy bar slam with it, that's how you break strings on command tongue.gif. a FR can take it, a bigsby cannot.

That's because a Bigsby is a vibrato system and a FR is a floating bridge whammy system biggrin.gif

Bigsby is supposed to only clacken strings not pull back to tighten. biggrin.gif

--------------------
Gear

+Quote Post
Owen
Feb 22 2008, 08:50 PM
Hey mate!

I have a paul copy and I'm looking at this option too, the best option I've found so far was the schaller bridge, basically just screw it in, you'd probably want to install locking tuners to keep it all in tune. Total cost would be about £150 basically. There is another option that Robin had on his explorer but its about £250 and doesnt keep tune that well I believe.

Anyway, heres a few links:

Thomann to buy:

http://www.thomann.de/gb/schaller_lp_tremolo_sch.htm

Schaller site for more info:

http://schaller-guitarparts.de/hp31092/Ass...-_Les-Paul_.htm

A bigsby will lose tune really easily and probably require a bit of guitar routing, no idea of the cost either.

Hope this helps!! smile.gif

--------------------
Don't Panic.

+Quote Post
Kevin98497
Feb 22 2008, 10:49 PM
QUOTE (Owen @ Feb 22 2008, 07:50 PM) *
Hey mate!

I have a paul copy and I'm looking at this option too, the best option I've found so far was the schaller bridge, basically just screw it in, you'd probably want to install locking tuners to keep it all in tune. Total cost would be about £150 basically. There is another option that Robin had on his explorer but its about £250 and doesnt keep tune that well I believe.

Anyway, heres a few links:

Thomann to buy:

http://www.thomann.de/gb/schaller_lp_tremolo_sch.htm

Schaller site for more info:

http://schaller-guitarparts.de/hp31092/Ass...-_Les-Paul_.htm

A bigsby will lose tune really easily and probably require a bit of guitar routing, no idea of the cost either.

Hope this helps!! smile.gif

i was just gonna suggest those laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Hisham Al-Sanea
Feb 22 2008, 10:50 PM
Instructor
i did to my lesspaul befor i added the fender startocaster tremolo briedge, its working very nice

+Quote Post
Chris Evans
Feb 23 2008, 01:23 AM
Learning Tone Guru - Community Coordinator & Moderator
I gotta admit looking at those different systems, Owens suggestion with the Schaller trem I thinks gunna look the best, the bigsby trem imo looks pretty ugly (apologies to anyone thats put one on a Les Paul, its just my opinion smile.gif)

doesnt putting a trem on a Les Paul kinda take away the whole Les Paul thing in general?

--------------------
Show us what part of the world you live in and get yourself
ON THE GMC:er Location MAP

+Quote Post
Owen
Feb 23 2008, 01:41 AM
QUOTE (Smells @ Feb 22 2008, 04:23 PM) *
I gotta admit looking at those different systems, Owens suggestion with the Schaller trem I thinks gunna look the best, the bigsby trem imo looks pretty ugly (apologies to anyone thats put one on a Les Paul, its just my opinion smile.gif)

doesnt putting a trem on a Les Paul kinda take away the whole Les Paul thing in general?

Yeah, I'm sure many Les Paul lovers would cry out heresy at this point. laugh.gif I quite like the idea though, think it looks pretty good on the thing as well, doesnt take away from its features as much as a floyd or a bigsby:

--------------------
Don't Panic.

+Quote Post
Chris Evans
Feb 23 2008, 01:44 AM
Learning Tone Guru - Community Coordinator & Moderator
actually ... that does look pretty sweet!

Edit: I think as you said earlier you`d probably want to look into a locking head nut to go with that, do you know anyone thats done that at all? Just interested because the lack of trem is what has always stopped me from buying a LP style guitar in the past.

This post has been edited by Smells: Feb 23 2008, 01:49 AM

--------------------
Show us what part of the world you live in and get yourself
ON THE GMC:er Location MAP

+Quote Post
Owen
Feb 23 2008, 02:02 AM
Dont think you can get locking nuts on their own but I was thinking of something more like:

http://www.thomann.de/gb/fender_schaller_l...g_tuner_sch.htm

Dunno how good the tuning stability is for these things, but I'm assuming its fairly decent, Fender use them on the American strat models I believe.

Edit: Quick search, I stand corrected, it'd be cheaper too if you want to do the modification of the original nut, £10 + £50-something = £60-ish overall.

Link:

http://www.guitar-parts-and-spares-uk.com/...arget=d255.html

Obviously the dimensions would have to be spot on, I Dunno if a les paul neck would take 42mm or not.

Actually, just checked mine - its a copy but that seems to be 42mm smile.gif

This post has been edited by Owen: Feb 23 2008, 02:18 AM

--------------------
Don't Panic.

+Quote Post
Maximus
Feb 23 2008, 03:06 AM
I would not put a trem on my LP. I would save up my cash and buy a guitar that was really made for a trem system rather than try to squeeze someting out of a guitar that it was not really intended to do. Just an opinion. Good luck

--------------------

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard, Ibanez rg 750, Ibanez Mikro, Washburn Acoustic
Amps: Crate GX 1600 1/2 Stack, Line 6 Spider 2, Vintage Kustom Tube Head
Effects: Line 6 POD X3 Live, Line 6 PocketPod
Misc: Line 6 FBV Express Foot Switch/Volume/Wah-Wah Pedal

+Quote Post
Goliath
Feb 23 2008, 06:32 AM
I'm a big fan of sperzel locking tuners.

--------------------
"King V" enthusiast

+Quote Post
Melvyn
Feb 23 2008, 11:21 AM
Hmm, would a bridge like a Bigsby fit on a Crafter Constantine?

--------------------

+Quote Post
JVM
Feb 23 2008, 05:05 PM
Learning Roadie
+1 to maximus and goliath.

--------------------
Gear: Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Gibson '67 RI Flying V, Mesa Boogie F-30 112 combo, crazy pedals.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 01:14 AM