A Recommendation For A Good Cheap First Guitar, I don't know why i never thought of this.
Goliath
Nov 2 2007, 11:36 PM
GMC:er
The Schecter Gryphon. These used to sell for 400$ at Guitar Center new, I think they're down to $350 now. On ebay people are asking for them at a fairly unreasonable price. About 80%+ the value of the new instrument, which is way too high for an off brand like Schecter.

I've got one I use for playing in alt tunings, and it's not bad, grover tuners, duncan designed pickups with coil tap, LP style neck (not much to my liking), 25.5" scale (<3), coil tap, so the tonal versatility of this guitar is pretty high. No problems hitting pinches, stays in tune for weeks, pretty handsome finish ( i have the ruby fade finish where you can see the grain of the mahogony, not as pretty as flamed maple, but still a very nice transparent finish for a low end guitar). I'd stack it up against any of the Epi's in the 400-700 range. A real value, IMO.

So if anyone is looking, might check ebay. I've been pretty pleased with mine overall. Very comfortable to play, despite my preference for the Wizard profile.

Basically, if you'd like a hellraiser, but can't afford it, this is a good alternative, I believe the Damien and the Omen are also in this price range and have kind of been ousted by the new Hellraiser, so there's tremendous potential to get a good deal on one of these bad boys.

Just putting that out there, feel free to share experiences with any of the said models, I whole heartedly believe that they are better than Squiers and Epis equivalently priced.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Goliath: Nov 3 2007, 01:52 AM

--------------------
"King V" enthusiast

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 3)
Smikey2006
Nov 3 2007, 04:15 AM
Schecter has great stuff all around. jackson also has great open level stuff. Thanks for the heads up on this 1 tho smile.gif The omens and damiens and demon series stuff around me is all up at 600-700$ range but its nice to know schecter has low end stuff as well!

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Schecter Exotic Star+ Peavey VK
Ibanez Xiphos 707 + Krank Revolution 100
Damien 7

Wishlist
Schecter Customshop
Schecter 2008 Blackjack
Damage Control Timeline Delay Pedal/Distortion
a laptop that runs protools :'(

+Quote Post
Goliath
Nov 3 2007, 04:37 AM
QUOTE (Smikey2006 @ Nov 3 2007, 04:15 AM) *
Schecter has great stuff all around. jackson also has great open level stuff. Thanks for the heads up on this 1 tho smile.gif The omens and damiens and demon series stuff around me is all up at 600-700$ range but its nice to know schecter has low end stuff as well!

Yeah new, they probably are, but there seem to be a decent number of them popping up on ebay since those seem like last year's models and this year's models seem to be drawing lots of looks. I know my jaw hit the floor when I saw the Hellraiser floor model when I was buying strings recently. On Ebay I bet you could find those models fairly inexpensively. I'm also betting you could find some of the C-1's on ebay from 2004/5 at a good price with the single inlay at the 12th fret rather than the dots.

--------------------
"King V" enthusiast

+Quote Post
VinceG
Nov 3 2007, 02:00 PM
You know whats so great about Schecters? For there Diamond Series, they lowered the actions for each guitar. Another + to buy a Schecter.

This post has been edited by VinceG: Nov 3 2007, 02:01 PM

--------------------
METAL SUCKS

My Last.fm account. View it for all the terrible music I play on a daily basis

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 05:09 AM