Guitar Problems, Help!
Wim Novak
Feb 18 2009, 04:02 PM
GMC:er
Hello gmc. i recently took my guitar to this guy at guitar center to change my pickups, it came back fine but i had a big problem with 2 strings. The strings seem to be hitting the other frets higher up on about 18 of the 21 frets i have so both the strings i use for solos are unusable. how do i fix this, i dont want to always downtune my guitar to standard c sad.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Ryan
Feb 18 2009, 04:11 PM
QUOTE (Sergei Polusmiak @ Feb 18 2009, 09:02 AM) *
Hello gmc. i recently took my guitar to this guy at guitar center to change my pickups, it came back fine but i had a big problem with 2 strings. The strings seem to be hitting the other frets higher up on about 18 of the 21 frets i have so both the strings i use for solos are unusable. how do i fix this, i dont want to always downtune my guitar to standard c sad.gif

Raise the action maybe?!?

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
“Obey the principles without being bound by them.”

+Quote Post
MickeM
Feb 18 2009, 04:29 PM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
QUOTE (Sergei Polusmiak @ Feb 18 2009, 04:02 PM) *

Did they change strings also?

If you only got home and found it out it could also be because when they changed pickups they took the strings off and the neck relief disappreared allowing the next to adjust to the trussrod (inner force) without the contraction from the strings.
Putting the strings back on would add a counter force and the neck would readjust. But wood is slow and it takes a bit of time. Everytime I have adjusted the trussrod I leave my guitar over night to let it settle.
If it's been overnight already it's not that.

+Quote Post
fatb0t
Feb 18 2009, 04:30 PM
Well what tuning and string gauge was the guitar setup for? If you change the tuning drastically, say from E to C you will need to resetup your guitar. The intonation will be off and the strings will be floppy. The lower the tuning the thicker gauge strings you should use.

+Quote Post
Wim Novak
Feb 18 2009, 04:36 PM
No it did not stay over night. and they did change the strings. Well im taking it back to that dude cause he says he can change the action and i dont know how to do it. i didnt really change the tuning it was always standard d

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
Feb 18 2009, 04:51 PM
Learning Tone Master
Take the guitar to the store and tell them that they messed up your guitars' setup when they changed the pickups!
If they are a decent store they will set it up right for free, otherwise complain until they do it!!!!

--------------------

Gear:
- Jackson USA Select KV2 King V with EMG 81/85
- Gibson Les Paul Custom Arctic White with EMG 81/85
- Ibanez Rg 8527 J Custom 7-String with DiMarzio Evolution and Air Norton

- Peavey 6505+ head with Marshall 1960AV 4x12 cab
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Practice Amp
- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

+Quote Post
Wim Novak
Feb 18 2009, 09:03 PM
Lol i got it fixed. it was actually my fault since i didnt tell the guy what my tuning was so the springs messed up when i tuned it. stupid me

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Feb 18 2009, 11:35 PM
Instructor
Glad you got your problem solved mate. Remember to always do a setup when changing tunings drastically or changing the gauge of the strings.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
David Wallimann
Feb 19 2009, 11:01 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Sergei Polusmiak @ Feb 18 2009, 03:03 PM) *
Lol i got it fixed. it was actually my fault since i didnt tell the guy what my tuning was so the springs messed up when i tuned it. stupid me

Good to hear it's resolved! :-)

--------------------
www.youtube.com/Wallimann
www.davidwallimann.com

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Feb 19 2009, 02:46 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
QUOTE (Sergei Polusmiak @ Feb 18 2009, 09:03 PM) *

Its ok , glad you solved it !! smile.gif

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 02:34 PM