Question About Using Downstrokes On Appeggios
Guitar1969
Aug 28 2008, 08:28 PM
GMC:er
I am finally getting around to trying to learn proper technique on appeggios picking. From the lessons I am using, seems the general consesus is using all downstrokes on individual strings and then using an upstroke on the highest string of the appreggios. The question I have that doesn't seem to be mentioned is the proper picking techinque when going back from the high to low strings after acending to the highest string if I wanted to extend the appeggio the opposite direction After I do the upstroke on the highest string(such as high E) would I then continue upstrokes on the lower strings again other until the I get to the last low string, at which time I would then downstroke again.

Right now I use alternate picking for Appeggios which doesn't seen to be right.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
"Three Chords & The Truth . . ."
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Matt23
Aug 28 2008, 08:33 PM
Accomplished Tone Master
Alternate picking does have a certain sound to it which you may like, but the most common way to do arpeggios is the sweep picking method where on a standard C chord for example, you would downstroke from the A string to the B string, then upstroke from the E string to the D string. Hope this makes sense. smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Aug 28 2008, 08:37 PM
Instructor
It's pretty acquard to play arpeggios with AP, although it is useful of course. This way you practice AP combinations on changing string, which is always good with AP.

Regarding sweeping, there are a lot of combinations that you can do, and a lot of different shapes of arpeggios. But suppose you are doing some arpeggios over 2-3 octaves that go from top to bottom, it is up to you how you play that low string. For me when time comes to go up again, I just change the motion downwards on the next string that is going up.

This post has been edited by Ivan Milenkovic: Aug 28 2008, 08:38 PM

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Ramiro Delforte
Aug 28 2008, 08:43 PM
Instructor
S S S S S S S S S S S S S S S S S S S S S S
E||-------------8-12-8------------|-------------8h-12-8------------|
B||----------10--------10---------|----------10---------10---------|
G||---------9--------------9-------|--------9---------------9-------|
D||-----10------------------10----|-----10-------------------10----|
A||--12------------------------12-|--12-------------------------12-|
E||---------------------------------|---------------------------------|

S S S S S S S S S S S
-------------8h-12p-8------------||
----------10----------10---------||
--------9----------------9-------||
-----10--------------------10----||
--12--------------------------12-||
---------------------------------||

These are some usual ways to play arpeggios with sweeping.

1- Sweep from fifth string to the first one then play the E (first string) with an upstroke, then the C (first string) with downstroke and then all upstrokes.
2- Sweep from fifth string to the first one then play the E (first string) with legato and then comes down with all upstrokes
3- Sweep from fifth string to the first one then play the C (first string) and the E (first string) and comes back to the C all with legato and after that come back all with upstrokes.

I hope it was useful.
biggrin.gif

--------------------
Check out my Instructor Profile and Board

LIVE VIDEO CHATS EVERY MONDAY AROUND 22PM (GMC HOUR)

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 12:34 PM