2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Wrist Ache, another of these topics
kaznie_NL
Oct 21 2008, 03:04 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Hey guys!!

Here's another topic about someone worried about a little pain biggrin.gif This time it's me...

Quit a while ago I had the feeling like my wrist was brused. Although the pain was a lot less, it did feel the same. The pain didn't really go away, and untill last week it kept fading a way very very slowly. Saturday I picked up my new guitar and started playing for some hours (which is more then I normally do) and now, the wrist ache has become as bad as when I had it for the first time! My back also hurts, but that's probably because I sat on my bad for around an hour, no good tongue.gif

Has anyone experience with this? My mom says I should not play guitar for at least two weeks, to see if that works. I don't want that!! It's hard to explain when the pain comes. I can make the pain coming my self if I press and move my finger on one of the bones somewhere between the index and thumb, it's only possible when I have my hand folded downwards.

If I'm busy, I might as well ask about another pain. When I sit and play guitar I get this pain in my upper arm, near my shoulder. This is also in the picking hand/arm. It's on the outside. I get this mainly when playing on the two lower strings (E and A). When I have the pain, I feel like stretching my arm. I think that the problem is the height your picking at. When I sit down and pick those strings, my pick is around the hight of my lowest ribs. That's quit high for my arm, know what I mean?

Anyone?

Thnx guys!

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My YouTube Channel Here

My Rec Takes Here

--- GEAR ---
Ibanez SA08LTD2 BAR
Vox AD50VT
Pod Farm
Line 6 Pod Studio GX
El Cheapo Strat
Dunlop Slide
Korg Toneworks AX5G
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
J.E.
Oct 21 2008, 03:39 PM
GMC:er
My advice is buy a foam baseball they are great for your arms! i mean i can sit for hours without feeling anything just because of this little thing! Good luck;)

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Can you imagine?

+Quote Post
Matt23
Oct 21 2008, 03:42 PM
Accomplished Tone Master
Try walking around while you play.

+Quote Post
kaznie_NL
Oct 21 2008, 03:49 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Matt23 @ Oct 21 2008, 04:42 PM) *
Try walking around while you play.

That's also I think I thougth about, in that way I can also learn to play standing, which I find difficult!

Jarl: Thnx, great advice!!

--------------------
My YouTube Channel Here

My Rec Takes Here

--- GEAR ---
Ibanez SA08LTD2 BAR
Vox AD50VT
Pod Farm
Line 6 Pod Studio GX
El Cheapo Strat
Dunlop Slide
Korg Toneworks AX5G

+Quote Post
J.E.
Oct 21 2008, 03:52 PM
QUOTE (kaznie_NL @ Oct 21 2008, 04:49 PM) *
That's also I think I thougth about, in that way I can also learn to play standing, which I find difficult!

Youre welcome smile.gif

--------------------
Can you imagine?

+Quote Post
Matt23
Oct 21 2008, 03:52 PM
Accomplished Tone Master
QUOTE (kaznie_NL @ Oct 21 2008, 03:49 PM) *

Whenever i get a sore wrist while im practicing i walk about and it goes away. I read walking about is meant to stop RSI so that might be whats happening to your wrist, see if walking helps it.

+Quote Post
staticstef
Oct 21 2008, 09:45 PM
Hey its kind of hard to say wat mite be wrong with ur wrist and how to make it better but im guessing (i aint a doctor) that you mite have pulled a small tendon/ligament from strumming fingering chords (depending which hand it is), if it happened when you were playing guitar that is lol. I have had pretty much every injury in the book due to alot of contact sports that ive been involved in and this injury sound very familiar, every time i bent my wrist and felt the bone it would really hurt and would also hurt when moving my wrist but only in certain directions. Basically it will heal in time, if you choose to carry on playin guitar it will probably take longer (as it did with me - it took me about 3 months but mine might of been alot more serious, since mine actually swelled up when it happened laugh.gif ) I carried on playin with it but how i got around it was by gettin a wrist strap so that it gave my wrist a little suport while playing, Also just stick some ice on it after playin if it hurts coz it will reduce inflamation from playin and give it a lil stretch before and after playing (when you get an injury your muscles/tendons tend to tighten up). Hope this helped a lil bit wink.gif

+Quote Post
kaznie_NL
Oct 22 2008, 07:38 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
QUOTE (staticstef @ Oct 21 2008, 10:45 PM) *
Hey its kind of hard to say wat mite be wrong with ur wrist and how to make it better but im guessing (i aint a doctor) that you mite have pulled a small tendon/ligament from strumming fingering chords (depending which hand it is), if it happened when you were playing guitar that is lol. I have had pretty much every injury in the book due to alot of contact sports that ive been involved in and this injury sound very familiar, every time i bent my wrist and felt the bone it would really hurt and would also hurt when moving my wrist but only in certain directions. Basically it will heal in time, if you choose to carry on playin guitar it will probably take longer (as it did with me - it took me about 3 months but mine might of been alot more serious, since mine actually swelled up when it happened laugh.gif ) I carried on playin with it but how i got around it was by gettin a wrist strap so that it gave my wrist a little suport while playing, Also just stick some ice on it after playin if it hurts coz it will reduce inflamation from playin and give it a lil stretch before and after playing (when you get an injury your muscles/tendons tend to tighten up). Hope this helped a lil bit wink.gif

Thnx man! That sounds like what I have. I have to admit it's not so bad as you had it... putting ice on it against the pain xD. If I had that, I wouldn't play guitar for a week or more!!

--------------------
My YouTube Channel Here

My Rec Takes Here

--- GEAR ---
Ibanez SA08LTD2 BAR
Vox AD50VT
Pod Farm
Line 6 Pod Studio GX
El Cheapo Strat
Dunlop Slide
Korg Toneworks AX5G

+Quote Post
staticstef
Oct 23 2008, 04:17 PM
QUOTE (kaznie_NL @ Oct 22 2008, 07:38 PM) *
Thnx man! That sounds like what I have. I have to admit it's not so bad as you had it... putting ice on it against the pain xD. If I had that, I wouldn't play guitar for a week or more!!

Gud stuff just make sure you put the ice on after playin or when your not plannin on playin because then ur hand will get numb and wont be able to move as quick laugh.gif. Ye i really shud have stopped playin for a while really but i always learn tht the hard way or try find a way around it rolleyes.gif
It should get better soon just try not to lift heavy objects with it or it mite get worse. Hope it gets better soon wink.gif

+Quote Post
kaznie_NL
Oct 24 2008, 08:08 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
I'm gonna stop now for some days guys! My wrist hurts after playing now! It's also since I have my new Ibanez, maybe I changed picking style because of that?

Well cya guys!

--------------------
My YouTube Channel Here

My Rec Takes Here

--- GEAR ---
Ibanez SA08LTD2 BAR
Vox AD50VT
Pod Farm
Line 6 Pod Studio GX
El Cheapo Strat
Dunlop Slide
Korg Toneworks AX5G

+Quote Post
IDontWantMyUsern...
Oct 24 2008, 10:13 PM
QUOTE (Jarl Emil @ Oct 21 2008, 04:39 PM) *
My advice is buy a foam baseball they are great for your arms! i mean i can sit for hours without feeling anything just because of this little thing! Good luck;)

I had the same problem as you have Kaznie, and I got one of these foam baseballs that Jarl Emil is talking about smile.gif
The pains went away when I started to using workouts (with the ball for example) as warmup instead of guitar exercises. Works way more effectively from my point of view biggrin.gif

--------------------
My stuff:

Ibanez S320
Marshall MG100HDFX half stack
Line6 PODxt
Digidesign Mbox Pro

Songs I'm writing down/learning at the moment:

Children of Bodom - Downfall

+Quote Post
kaznie_NL
Oct 25 2008, 11:28 AM
Experienced Tone Seeker
I do feel the pain when practicing with the ball, that's normal?

--------------------
My YouTube Channel Here

My Rec Takes Here

--- GEAR ---
Ibanez SA08LTD2 BAR
Vox AD50VT
Pod Farm
Line 6 Pod Studio GX
El Cheapo Strat
Dunlop Slide
Korg Toneworks AX5G

+Quote Post
J.E.
Oct 25 2008, 11:34 AM
Ah you bought a ball? smile.gif Well the thing is that ball stimulates your pressure points, so dont worry if it stings a bit the first times its only good for you.

Edit: Try using it everyday until you feel no pain in your wrist then start practising for real!

--------------------
Can you imagine?

+Quote Post
kaznie_NL
Oct 25 2008, 11:37 AM
Experienced Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Jarl Emil @ Oct 25 2008, 12:34 PM) *
Ah you bought a ball? smile.gif Well the thing is that ball stimulates your pressure points, so dont worry if it stings a bit the first times its only good for you.

Edit: Try using it everyday until you feel no pain in your wrist then start practising for real!

I had a foam baseball, exactly what you use wink.gif I didn't have to buy one tongue.gif

--------------------
My YouTube Channel Here

My Rec Takes Here

--- GEAR ---
Ibanez SA08LTD2 BAR
Vox AD50VT
Pod Farm
Line 6 Pod Studio GX
El Cheapo Strat
Dunlop Slide
Korg Toneworks AX5G

+Quote Post
J.E.
Oct 25 2008, 11:38 AM
Hehe tongue.gif

--------------------
Can you imagine?

+Quote Post
kaznie_NL
Oct 31 2008, 07:36 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
if I squeeze my arm a bit, just under the elbow, where all the muscles for your hand are, it hurts, like the pain from a work out with a bad cooling down... I think I really shouldn't play for a bout a week.... I can't!!!!

--------------------
My YouTube Channel Here

My Rec Takes Here

--- GEAR ---
Ibanez SA08LTD2 BAR
Vox AD50VT
Pod Farm
Line 6 Pod Studio GX
El Cheapo Strat
Dunlop Slide
Korg Toneworks AX5G

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Oct 31 2008, 10:53 PM
Instructor
Just chill out a bit Kaz, and if you do play, play everything slowly and with metronome. As soon as you feel pain coming, stop imediately! :

Just chill out a bit Kaz, and if you do play, play everything slowly and with metronome. As soon as you feel pain coming, stop imediately!

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
kaznie_NL
Nov 1 2008, 08:22 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ Oct 31 2008, 10:53 PM) *
Just chill out a bit Kaz, and if you do play, play everything slowly and with metronome. As soon as you feel pain coming, stop imediately! :

Just chill out a bit Kaz, and if you do play, play everything slowly and with metronome. As soon as you feel pain coming, stop imediately!

I hope your tips bout anchoring are gonna help me tongue.gif

--------------------
My YouTube Channel Here

My Rec Takes Here

--- GEAR ---
Ibanez SA08LTD2 BAR
Vox AD50VT
Pod Farm
Line 6 Pod Studio GX
El Cheapo Strat
Dunlop Slide
Korg Toneworks AX5G

+Quote Post
Pizzoaro
Nov 1 2008, 08:56 PM
Throw yourself out of the window, then u wont notice the pain in ur wrist wink.gif
Kidding ofc.

Seriously, when i had that, i bought a tennis racket and a ball, and started hitting the ball back and forth on a wall outside. It helped a lot smile.gif gained some muscels too tongue.gif

Another advice. Try to never play or use ur wrists at all now that its cold outside.

Another advice. Drink much tea! and ofc, watch FRIENDS biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif
A joke from Joey or Chandler always helps when sad or in pain! biggrin.gif

Good luck man! i was just about to say "my condolences to your arm" xD But it didnt die right tongue.gif XD

--------------------
"Never give up!"

My Youtube

Check out pictures of my band here ---> Bandpictures! Remember to leave a comment!

+Quote Post
sigma7
Nov 1 2008, 09:11 PM
sounds like median tunnel...let me ask you this, do u lean on the back of your elbow a lot? I couldnt play for a while because it fewlt my wrist was bruised and my spped was slowly fading. It was because of tendonitis and median/carpal tunnel.

--------------------

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 06:17 PM