2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Hello, Bonjour From France, Introduction and first questions
Ash
Jan 14 2009, 11:54 AM
GMC:er
Hello,

I've always wanted to play the guitar but only recently decided to jump into it. I did about 8 years of classical piano when I was a teen, so I know musical theory, but I really did not know much about the guitar; For the record, when I started to do some music, I wanted to play the guitar, but in France (yes, I'm French, but I lived in the UK for 5 years and did loads of travels around the world personally and professionally, so i feel more comfortable in an international community than a French on) you couldn't do that in the "conservatoire" until you were 14, and there really not other workaround at that time (it was, **sigh* quite a long time ago). So I started on the piano but it was quite an investment (for myself and the family) and I did/could not change that for a while.

After that, other requirements (studies, work and family in that order) took over the music. But I now have some time available and still the same desire. So I decided to do what I always wanted, bought a few books, did some research (and found this site), tried a few guitars, bought myself a nice Fender and amp and tried a few things.

Now I feel it's time to introduce myself and possibly ask for some advice. Basically, due to other constraints, I can dedicate around half an hour per day to the guitar during work days, twice that and more for week-end days.

I have already tried a few lessons, in particular
  • The "absolute beginner" series by Andrew (great job, btw), as well as the mandatory "smoke on the water" (love this one)
  • The Chord series by Ivan (really nice too)
  • Strumming and Arpeggios by Muris (Really melodic and inspiring, great for exercising, although some re hard at start, in particular barred chords)
  • And a few others from books...

I have made a series of daily exercises from all these, and I feel I am steadily improving, which is nice.

I think I'm really hooked now, the only difficult thing is choosing where to go with all the lessons on this site, starting from this nice area.

There are only two things which worry me, really, which is getting stuck on something too hard (and that should be avoidable seeing the variety of lessons), and making a "mistake". The kind of mistake that I have in mind are the usual ones for a learning curve, including starting bad habits that would be hard to correct later, or forgetting to train some kind of skill that would be hard to integrate at a later stage.

Obviously, there are areas in which it's easier to progress faster for me, but I would not like to forget things or to learn too fast something wrong, so any advice would be appreciated.

Ash, a.k.a. Philippe

P.S.: Oh yes, one of the only difficulty that I have really is using the Anglo-saxon notes (A, B, C, etc.) instead of the latin/french ones (Do, Re, Mi, etc.). I did all my piano using the latter and I can really visualise these, whereas i'm still lost about the other ones, which I'm still learning by rote. I expect that will pass, as I learned to juggle multiple currencies, but that is still ahead of me... smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Ash: Jan 14 2009, 11:55 AM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Mandos
Jan 14 2009, 12:00 PM
Welcome Ash. smile.gif

You seem to be on the right path so just keep it up.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
[color="#808080"]Guitars: Epiphone Les Paul Gothic with EMG 81 and 85, Crafter Acoustic, ESP LTD F-205

+Quote Post
Nemanja Filipovi...
Jan 14 2009, 12:01 PM
Singing Instructor
Great intro Ash,welcome to the site.smile.gif

--------------------
Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

Participate im my new Crazy Blues Collaboration

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Jan 14 2009, 12:02 PM
Moderator - low level high stakes
Welcome to GMC Ash smile.gif .

Just as a suggestion regarding not getting into bad habits - look at the various videos on alternate picking and consider this as a possible addition to your practice routine.

Cheers,
Tony

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Jan 14 2009, 01:17 PM
Instructor
Welcome to GMC Ash, wonderful introduction thread !

As far as your questions go in order for me to spot some things you might be doing wrong, I would need to see you play smile.gif
Lots of members record videos, upload them on youtube and then embed the video on forum asking is this good, bad, what about my solo, sound etc.
So I strongly suggest doing that as it will enable communication and help as in real time smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
David Wallimann
Jan 14 2009, 01:20 PM
Instructor
Welcome Philippe!
Content d'avoir un autre Francais sur le site! :-)

--------------------
www.youtube.com/Wallimann
www.davidwallimann.com

+Quote Post
Carlos Carrillo
Jan 14 2009, 01:48 PM
Instructor
Welcome to GMC Ash wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
skennington
Jan 14 2009, 03:04 PM
Learning Roadie - Never Give Up - Moderator
Great intro Phllippe and welcome to GMC. As stated earlier, I also would strongle advise you to focus on alternate picking as this is probably the #1 bad habbit, all downstrokes. Trust me, I know.. rolleyes.gif

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jan 14 2009, 03:12 PM
Instructor
Hey Ash! Great introduction! Welcome to GMC! Count with me if you have any question. smile.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Fran
Jan 14 2009, 03:20 PM
Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
Welcome Ash, you are doing pretty good already!. as Tony suggested, don't forget alternate picking in your routine, that is always picking up/down/up/down, it really helps develop speed. New guitar players sometimes tend to only down-pick, which is a bad habit.

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC

+Quote Post
Dreamcatcher
Jan 14 2009, 03:22 PM
Welcome To GMC Ash!!!!!!

--------------------
" Free Your Mind and Your Axe Will Follow" Vernon Reid (Living Colour)

+Quote Post
utak3r
Jan 14 2009, 03:26 PM
Welcome here smile.gif it's a good place to get your guitar playing smile.gif

As for the old habits....
In school I had Do Re Mi, too, but I've learned C D E long time ago. Now I have sometimes another problem - in Poland I learned that your note B I was calling H and by B I was meaning your Bb.... geez.... it gets me sometimes confused wink.gif

--------------------
Machines don't bleed that easily...
utak3r.pl

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Jan 14 2009, 03:32 PM
Instructor
Welcome to GMC Ash. smile.gif

We all (instructors) have problems when signing level for each lesson,
that is very personal matter and not everyone will have
same problems or progress with certain lesson.
My advice is not to pay too much attention on levels,
of course you should stick with beginners lessons now
but also try some higher level stuff,
you don't have to master every lesson 100%,
learn just few licks from other lessons and you'll benefit a lot. smile.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jan 14 2009, 03:41 PM
Instructor
Welcome aboard man!

I have made a small series for beginners, you can check it out here.
Since you already worked you're way through Andrew's lessons and some of my own chord lessons (stay tuned for more of those btw the chord workshop series just started! smile.gif ), you can continue checking out other lessons from that plan. There are lot of theory recommendations there, but if you already know theory you can skip that and move on to video lessons right away! smile.gif

If you need any help or anything just ask, we're here to help! smile.gif

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
enforcer
Jan 14 2009, 03:49 PM
Bonjour et Bienvenue a GMC,

Comme vous avez decouvert c'est l'une des parfaites sites de la guitare sur l'internet (possiblement la meilleure). Si vous avez des question n'hesitez pas a demandez, je vais essayer de faire tout possible pour vous aider.

A bientot!

Can

--------------------

incoming spoiler read it at your own risk!

Spoiler:

Vigier G.V Wood HH
American Stratocaster Maple Standart with X2N bridge pickups
Samwick Artist custom modified Baswood Lespaul with S.Duncan JB and N56 pickups
Self made Fretless Strat type made of Rosewood/Maple with self wound Neck and Ibanez V8 Bridge Pickups
Floor Pod 2.0 Amp Simulation System
Pod Xt Pro Rack Amp Simulation System
Digitech TSR 12 Rack Effect and Studio Reverb
Behringer Composer Rack Compressor Expander
Morley Bad Horsie Wah Pedal
Behringer FB1010 Floor Board

it, surely, spoiled me!!!

and may the force be with you :)

+Quote Post
seagull
Jan 14 2009, 04:00 PM
Bonjour, et bienvenu à cette site!
Hope you'll have a great time here. smile.gif

QUOTE (Fran @ Jan 14 2009, 03:20 PM) *
Welcome Ash, you are doing pretty good already!. as Tony suggested, don't forget alternate picking in your routine, that is always picking up/down/up/down, it really helps develop speed. New guitar players sometimes tend to only down-pick, which is a bad habit.

Unless you want to become the riffing-monster that is James Hetfield laugh.gif

+Quote Post
utak3r
Jan 14 2009, 04:02 PM
QUOTE (seagull @ Jan 14 2009, 04:00 PM) *
Unless you want to become the riffing-monster that is James Hetfield laugh.gif

yeah, that's why I'm trying to forget this my old habit now wink.gif

--------------------
Machines don't bleed that easily...
utak3r.pl

+Quote Post
Toni Suominen
Jan 14 2009, 04:12 PM
Instructor
Welcome Ash! smile.gif

--------------------
Gear:
-PRS Custom 22
-Edwards Les Paul
-PodXT
-Ibanez Acoustic

Check out my lessons and my instructor profile!

My Youtube channel

My Last.FM

+Quote Post
Emir Hot
Jan 14 2009, 05:30 PM
Instructor
Welcome to GMC Ash smile.gif

--------------------
Check out my <a href="https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/instructor/Emir-Hot" target="_blank">Instructor profile</a>

www.emirhot.com
www.myspace.com/emirhotguitar
www.myspace.com/sevdahmetal

+Quote Post
MickeM
Jan 14 2009, 05:33 PM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
Welcome smile.gif

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 11:28 PM