4 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Slipknot, Good Or Bad?
Martin la guitar...
Feb 20 2008, 10:01 PM
GMC:er
So lets hear it, are they good or bad, what do you guys think?
Personally i think they're great, especially mick thompson (lead guitar) and the singer Corey taylor who has the most incredible voice i have ever heard of.

My fav song are

*duality
*vermillion
*left behind
*before i forget
*the nameless
*wait and bleed

And i saved the best for last "Vermillion part 2" which is their softer kind of song.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
SLASH91
Feb 20 2008, 10:06 PM
I personally dislike them highly, just because they are so overated, and every single song, not just of their's, but any other nu-metal band, sounds exactly the same to me.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

"Remember to live, eat, sleep and breathe music for the mind, play from your heart and never be swayed by the current trends"-
Rusty Cooley

My gear:

Marshall Valvstate
Digitech Distortion Factory
Jackson RR24 (Randy Rhoads)
Ibanez RG2550e
A ripoff brand acoustic guitar
and a Yamaha Classical guitar :)

+Quote Post
Robin
Feb 20 2008, 10:06 PM
I think some of their songs are pretty good, like some of those you mentioned there. I'm not really a fan though.
They do great live shows as well.

+Quote Post
JVM
Feb 20 2008, 10:12 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (SLASH91 @ Feb 20 2008, 04:06 PM) *
I personally dislike them highly, just because they are so overated, and every single song, not just of their's, but any other nu-metal band, sounds exactly the same to me.

I feel more or less the same way.

--------------------
Gear: Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Gibson '67 RI Flying V, Mesa Boogie F-30 112 combo, crazy pedals.

+Quote Post
Trond Vold
Feb 20 2008, 10:16 PM
Instructor
I can't stand them. The whole nu-metal genre is insulting.
But still.. i like the drummer, if only he could find a good prog-band to play in instead smile.gif

--------------------
Guitars: Schecter Stiletto Classic, Jackson SLSMG, Ibanez RG-380 Japan, Gibson Les Paul Studio

Amp: Marshall JMP-1 -> Rocktron Velocity 100 -> Marshall JCM-900 Lead 4x12

FX and stomps: T.C Electronics G-Sharp, Korg SDD-1200, Emma Transmorgrifier, BYOC Tribooster, GGG Green Ringer, Dinosaur Overdrive, Voodoo Lab SuperFuzz, Sovtek Bassballs, Line6 Tap Tremolo, EHX Screaming Bird.

My Instructor Board!

My Myspace!

+Quote Post
audiopaal
Feb 20 2008, 10:17 PM
Competitions Coordinator - Up the Irons
QUOTE (SLASH91 @ Feb 20 2008, 10:06 PM) *

My thoughts as well..

But I'd like Jim Root's Fender telecaster artist model wink.gif

+Quote Post
botoxfox
Feb 20 2008, 10:19 PM
BAD

--------------------

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
Feb 20 2008, 10:21 PM
Fire Up The Blades, Moderator
Never liked them, I've heard guitar magazines praise them for there guitar skills......What? Makes no sense to me, I genreally just dislike Nu-Metal

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
Feb 20 2008, 10:24 PM
Learning Tone Master
The songs and the attitude are good but they are just too many persons in one band. With the two extra percussionists they sound like me hammering my baseballbat against a trash-can. I highly recommend Stone Sour, the first band of Corey Taylor and Jim Root. The music is better and Corey makes good use of his incredible voice.

--------------------

Gear:
- Jackson USA Select KV2 King V with EMG 81/85
- Gibson Les Paul Custom Arctic White with EMG 81/85
- Ibanez Rg 8527 J Custom 7-String with DiMarzio Evolution and Air Norton

- Peavey 6505+ head with Marshall 1960AV 4x12 cab
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Practice Amp
- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

+Quote Post
kyldeee
Feb 20 2008, 10:44 PM
I'm not a huge fan, but I do like couple of their songs, like vermilion pt.2. Corey's voice is incredible, but I think that's it...
I thinks Stone Sour is better, because it puts Corey's voice to a better use, like ZakkWylde said in the earlier post smile.gif

--------------------

Music really is a way to reach out and hold on to each other in a healthy way.
- Stevie Ray Vaughan

+Quote Post
Guitarman700
Feb 20 2008, 10:59 PM
Slipknot, along with avenged sevenfold, top my list of worst bands ever. they sound INCREDIBLY generic, and whats up with the masks? i cant stand them. its like the uncreator said, everyone seems to praise there guitar skills when they really cant play very well. just my opinion though.

--------------------
My Gear:
Guitars:
Fender Standard Stratocaster HSS
Jackson Dinky Custom
Washburn WG-587 7-String
LTD EX-50
Kramer Focus 6000
Amps:
Peavey Vypyr 30
Marshall MG10KK Kerry King 10 Watt

+Quote Post
Toni Suominen
Feb 20 2008, 11:11 PM
Instructor
I like the song "Before I Forget", it has a cool groove to it smile.gif Besides that, I dont really listen to the band

--------------------
Gear:
-PRS Custom 22
-Edwards Les Paul
-PodXT
-Ibanez Acoustic

Check out my lessons and my instructor profile!

My Youtube channel

My Last.FM

+Quote Post
shellshock1911
Feb 20 2008, 11:24 PM
They aren't my favorite, but aren't too bad. I enjoyed their song off Guitar Hero 3, I forget the name though. And yea, I do think they have way too many members, 2 drummers is unnecessary, same with turntables, 3 guitars, 3 vocalist, etc, etc, etc. However I don't see anything wrong with nu-metal as a whole genre. My favorite band from the genre, Linkin Park, just mixes some rap elements will rock. I find it humorous how people bash LP then praise RATM. If anything, mixing in some rap elements is just adding new innovations to music, therefore making it progressive. Hell, even Dream Theater has rapcore influenced interludes in some songs,

--------------------

+Quote Post
SLASH91
Feb 21 2008, 12:17 AM
QUOTE (The Uncreator @ Feb 20 2008, 03:21 PM) *
Never liked them, I've heard guitar magazines praise them for there guitar skills......What? Makes no sense to me, I genreally just dislike Nu-Metal

Yeah, I read some guitar magazine where it said that Slipknot, A7x, and Korn were the "Saviors of American heavy metal." huh.gif I never knew that ohmy.gif ...I always thought that Nile, 3 Inches of Blood, EVILE had that job. Complete shocker tongue.gif

@Guitarman700- I've always wondered about the masks too. laugh.gif

This post has been edited by SLASH91: Feb 21 2008, 12:23 AM

--------------------

"Remember to live, eat, sleep and breathe music for the mind, play from your heart and never be swayed by the current trends"-
Rusty Cooley

My gear:

Marshall Valvstate
Digitech Distortion Factory
Jackson RR24 (Randy Rhoads)
Ibanez RG2550e
A ripoff brand acoustic guitar
and a Yamaha Classical guitar :)

+Quote Post
at lights end
Feb 21 2008, 12:26 AM
nu-metal...

...ugh!

-shudder-

i prefer slipknot to korn though.

--------------------
“You have to go on and be crazy. Craziness is like heaven.”

+Quote Post
Guitarman700
Feb 21 2008, 12:32 AM
QUOTE (SLASH91 @ Feb 20 2008, 06:17 PM) *
Yeah, I read some guitar magazine where it said that Slipknot, A7x, and Korn were the "Saviors of American heavy metal." huh.gif I never knew that ohmy.gif ...I always thought that Nile, 3 Inches of Blood, EVILE had that job. Complete shocker tongue.gif

Ah yes, total guitar magazine. they also said the dime explosion razorback was "the greatest guitar ever made". laugh.gif

--------------------
My Gear:
Guitars:
Fender Standard Stratocaster HSS
Jackson Dinky Custom
Washburn WG-587 7-String
LTD EX-50
Kramer Focus 6000
Amps:
Peavey Vypyr 30
Marshall MG10KK Kerry King 10 Watt

+Quote Post
Duncan
Feb 21 2008, 01:43 AM
Really really bad band. The guitarist is pretty good though and the singer has an excellent voice, when he chooses to use it.

+Quote Post
g-forcelover
Feb 21 2008, 03:34 AM
The guitarist is great, slipknot is fun to play, but i never really listen to metal on that level.

--------------------

i tripped and broke my guitar's neck. :(

+Quote Post
uberIbanez
Feb 21 2008, 03:42 AM
QUOTE (SLASH91 @ Feb 20 2008, 06:17 PM) *

YES! NILE IS THE SAVIOR Slipknot is terrible and incredibly overrated

+Quote Post
VinceG
Feb 21 2008, 03:44 AM
Ok im just gonna point out the main reason why I hate slipknot

"If your 555, then I'm 666"

--------------------
METAL SUCKS

My Last.fm account. View it for all the terrible music I play on a daily basis

+Quote Post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 09:59 PM