Restringing A Jem Oô, JEM users come here pls :)
Tolek
May 28 2008, 03:59 PM
Learning Rock Star
Hey folks,
I got a JEM 555 WH on my 17th birthday in February. Since then I am really proud of posseeding such an instrument. However, I have a great problem. I have no idea how I could restring it correctly. Every time I change the strings, the whammy bar has a wrong angle and when I use it, the guitar is immediately out of tune which wasn´t the case when I got it. Sometimes, the angle is nearly ok, but the guitar detunes a bit more difficult. I have already checked these tutorials, but I can´t do it. sad.gif
So, can anybody help me with this problem? Andrew, JEM77 owner? biggrin.gif

Thanks.

Edit:
I´m sorry if I posted this message into the wrong category.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Tolek: May 28 2008, 04:07 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Start new topic
Replies (1 - 19)
Kevin98497
May 28 2008, 04:12 PM
GMC:er
maybe its the wrong gauge so you gotta adjust the springs in the back etc

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Tolek
May 28 2008, 04:23 PM
Learning Rock Star
I do this every time, but the tremolo is still in the wrong angle. When I restring my guitar, I replace the old strings by new ones and bring the strings to the right pitch. During this I turn the springs in the back to the right. The bridge isn´t at its right place. -.-

+Quote Post
Kevin98497
May 28 2008, 05:00 PM
do you mean angle as in the distance the bridge is from the body as a whole, or just the bit at the back in funny angle? if its the first you could try to raise or lower the set with an allen key. if its the latter then shouldnt the springs sort that out?

+Quote Post
Tolek
May 28 2008, 05:49 PM
Learning Rock Star
I made some pics to clarify what I mean.

This is the bridge how it should be. As you can see, the strings aren´t at their right pitches.

This pic was made a few seconds later. You see the springs in the back.

In this picture I raised the pitch of the strings so that the guitar was nearly in tune. (Without fine-tuning)

This is the position of the screws <=> How strongly are pulling the springs?

Additionally, I am really furious because I just broke a new string while pulling the whammy bar. Now, I have no other e-strings left and so I can´t play the things I want to. Damn!

This post has been edited by Tolek: May 28 2008, 06:20 PM

+Quote Post
Hisham Al-Sanea
May 28 2008, 10:47 PM
Instructor
are you using the same gauge strings or you are not sure ,if its the same gauge
so check your tunning may you are over standard tunning .its normally the bridge will be higher and little up normal
when you restring a new set but i see the bridge is to high .i suggest to rest your bridge for many days and keep the tunning under 440 HZ i am sure the bridge will getting back to the normal place

+Quote Post
Kevin98497
May 28 2008, 11:01 PM
or maybe the springs arent so great and they lost their springyness, in that case just get new ones, or put 5 springs in may fix it?
but im pretty sure the gauge you put on is different from the default ones or it should be fine.

so try leaving it alone first like hisham said
if that dont work take it to a guitar shop and ask whats wrong? because its easier if you can actually see it in real life.
or just put 2 more springs on it

+Quote Post
USAMAN
May 29 2008, 03:27 AM
I have a stupid question....
they were strings for an electric ?????
acoustic guitar strings have tons more tension.

--------------------
If we aren't supposed to eat animals, why are they made out of meat ?

+Quote Post
The Spartan
May 29 2008, 04:14 AM
You're using a heavier gauge than what was originaly on it.Heavier guage=more string tension.That's why your bridge is at a wrong angel.If you want an easy solution just get a lighter guage.

This post has been edited by The Spartan: May 29 2008, 04:15 AM

--------------------

Practicing Pavel's Alternate Picking Lesson 4 at: (16th notes triplets)

89BPM 101BPM 110BPM 122BPM <-----Goal
86BPM 98BPM 107BPM 119BPM
83BPM 95BPM 104BPM 116BPM
80BPM 92BPM 101BPM 113BPM
77BPM

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
May 29 2008, 06:30 PM
Instructor
You have put a heavier gauge strings probably. Nothing to worry about. Do next steps:

1. Unwound the string a bit (so they are relaxed on the frets, not playable, but cannot fall of the nut neither)
2. Take a look a picture number two. You will see 5 little hooks for springs on the left side. Place the two left ends of the 2 OUTSIDE springs closer to the middle spring end in order to get hinger tension from them.
3. Start wounding the strings to the pitch and watch closely the bridge. When it starts to pull more than horizontal position stop wounding and tighten the 2 screws to the LEFT SIDE on the picture number 2, until the bridge is in normal position.
4. Repeat the step number 3 until the strings are in pitch.
5. Give the guitar some 3 days to rest until you continue to fine tune it further.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
May 29 2008, 07:21 PM
Moderation Policy Director
Great advice Ivan - and as you say, this is nothing to worry aboutm it is just a complication of having a floating tremelo when you change string guages.

A tip for next time is to wedge the tremelo in blace with a block of wood or an eraser os seomthgin to make it easier to work on, then it is just trial and error to get the tension right in the strings and springs to get the tremelo set right. If you keep the same brand and tension of strings you shouldn't need to change the tremelo adjustment.

If all else fails, take it to a guitar tech!

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
Juan M. Valero
May 29 2008, 07:36 PM
Instructor
WOW, those picture looks bad my friend !!! I'm also a JEM 555 owner and you should adjust the bridge if you change gauge wink.gif

Thanks for the page as well, looks really interesting !!

+Quote Post
Mark.
May 29 2008, 07:40 PM
Yeah, you should learn adjusting the bridge ohmy.gif At first it's really difficult but once you've done it a couple of sometimes you get used to it. You'll also need to be able to adjugde the bridge if you wanna put ur guitar in a different tuning. So it's kinda a must to be able to be able to do it yourself tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Tolek
May 30 2008, 12:22 PM
Learning Rock Star
Thank you very much, guys, especially Ivan! That´s a really helpful guide which I´m going to try as soon as I get a new e-string... For those who have the same problem like me and read Andrew´s post ("[...] wedge the tremelo in blace with a block of wood or an eraser os seomthing to make it easier to work on [...]") I was looking for a bridge adjusting video on youtube and I found some helpful ones:

It becomes certainly easier when you work with the bridge after have watched these videos/tutorials.

QUOTE (Juan)
Thanks for the page as well, looks really interesting !!

As a JEM owner you have to know this site. wink.gif

QUOTE (USAMAN)
I have a stupid question....
they were strings for an electric ?????
acoustic guitar strings have tons more tension.

xDD If I know what strings I buy. biggrin.gif These are Ernie Ball´s Regular Slinky Custom Gauge Nickel Wound Guitar Strings (10, 13, 17, 26, 36, 46). <= This is extremely precise. tongue.gif

So, to sum up, I would like to thank everyone for his/her help. As soon as I make your pieces of advice real, I will let you know how it ended. smile.gif

+Quote Post
Tolek
May 30 2008, 08:46 PM
Learning Rock Star
Hey guys, I got a new e-string and it´s already on my guitar. I followed the steps Ivan explained. But the bridge angle is worse. The springs at the back are at their top.

This is the back with the springs. At the left, you can see how deep the screws are.

This is the bridge again. It looks really horrible, I know.

What is my fault?

+Quote Post
Tolek
Jul 8 2008, 08:48 PM
Learning Rock Star
The problem´s fixed. biggrin.gif Without any help, I succeeded in adjusting the tremolo. It wasn´t diffiicult. I bought a .09 set (which is the standard for a JEM I think) and put it on the guitar. It took me a good hour to take the old strings off, to clean the guitar and then to restring it.
I´m so happy. biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
jacmoe
Jul 8 2008, 08:54 PM
Thank goodness! laugh.gif

--------------------
QUOTE ("Steve Vai")
Start by playing something - a bend, a riff, a scale, a song - very slowly; if you make a mistake, start over; do this over and over, until you can play it flawlessly - and I do mean flawlessly - many times in a row. Next, gradually increase the tempo. Eventually you'll be flailing like a madman.

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jul 8 2008, 10:19 PM
Instructor
I'm glad you solved the issue mate, and sorry my solution didn't help. Must have been heavy gauge strings. WHen bridge is way up, only extra springs then help.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Jul 8 2008, 10:52 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Tolek @ Jul 8 2008, 09:48 PM) *
The problem´s fixed. biggrin.gif Without any help, I succeeded in adjusting the tremolo. It wasn´t diffiicult. I bought a .09 set (which is the standard for a JEM I think) and put it on the guitar. It took me a good hour to take the old strings off, to clean the guitar and then to restring it.
I´m so happy. biggrin.gif

Since I'm brand new Jem owner I would like to say one thing,
if it's floating bridge then you should change strings one by one,
remove old one and put new one then tune it,repeat the same for all 6 strings.
Really easy. smile.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
Tjchep
Jul 8 2008, 10:55 PM
QUOTE (Muris Varajic @ Jul 8 2008, 10:52 PM) *
Since I'm brand new Jem owner I would like to say one thing,
if it's floating bridge then you should change strings one by one,
remove old one and put new one then tune it,repeat the same for all 6 strings.
Really easy. smile.gif

What does this do?

Or prevent for the matter.

--------------------
Check out my playing here - https://www.youtube.com/user/tjchep

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 09:12 AM