2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Another Looking For New Guitar Topic!
JVM
Apr 14 2010, 11:30 PM
Learning Roadie
Hi guys n gals,

I'm looking for a new guitar. I love my strat, but I don't think it's ideal for me. I really like the maple neck I have, but besides being maple the neck radius/scale length etc can be pretty much anything. In addition, I want some humbuckers, at least one in the bridge, because I am after a bit of a thicker sound. Lastly, I never use the tremolo, so a hardtail is for me I think.

Essentially, I'm looking for a maple neck hard tail guitar with humbuckers. Budget is open, but I'm aiming for under $2000, and hopefully closer to or even under $1000. Got any suggestions?

Considering:

Used PRS Swamp Ash Special (even used, they're expensive, but not totally out of range)
Hardtail fat strat... having a hard time finding these with maple necks, and at the right price.
I think I saw a music man, maybe a stiletto, hardtail with maple neck once. I don't know if they still make them.

I guess I'm not opposed to a maple neck telecaster with humbuckers, but I would prefer a double cutaway.

Ideally I would like to find a manufactured guitar with these specs, but if nothing comes up, I'm not totally opposed to building a custom guitar from f.ex Warmoth. But I'd rather not, the idea kind of scares me tongue.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Gear: Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Gibson '67 RI Flying V, Mesa Boogie F-30 112 combo, crazy pedals.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
NoSkill
Apr 14 2010, 11:58 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Schecter C-1 Blackjack. The same scale length you're used to, dual humbuckers, string through hard tail, set neck, mahogany body, wicked tone and under a grand. I have one, it's badass. Plus it has a couple more frets than you're used to, the neck is a ton thinner than you are used to and the set neck makes access to the upper register thoughtless. A lot of bang for the buck.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by NoSkill: Apr 15 2010, 12:01 AM

--------------------

Still looking for my soul mate, guitar.

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
Apr 15 2010, 12:20 AM
Learning Tone Master
You want an unfinished maple neck I guess?

Well there is for example an Ibanez Prestige RG wth a fixed bridge - the RG 1451. It has an unfinished maple neck, HSH configuration and it's surprisingly cheap for a Japanese Prestige Ibanez!

(here is a link to a german site with great pics)
http://www.musik-schmidt.de/Ibanez-RG-1451-WHP.html

--------------------

Gear:
- Jackson USA Select KV2 King V with EMG 81/85
- Gibson Les Paul Custom Arctic White with EMG 81/85
- Ibanez Rg 8527 J Custom 7-String with DiMarzio Evolution and Air Norton

- Peavey 6505+ head with Marshall 1960AV 4x12 cab
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Practice Amp
- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

+Quote Post
Santiago Diaz Ga...
Apr 15 2010, 07:11 AM
GMC:er
You can go form some used Ibanez like Zakk said. And trust me that the RG 1451 plays itself, you don't have to do anything. Hahaha

+Quote Post
JVM
Apr 15 2010, 03:11 PM
Learning Roadie
I should have been more clear, I mean a maple neck+fretboard. I'm picky tongue.gif

--------------------
Gear: Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Gibson '67 RI Flying V, Mesa Boogie F-30 112 combo, crazy pedals.

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
Apr 15 2010, 04:10 PM
Learning Tone Master
That limits the range of possible guitars dow quite a bit... If it's just for the looks I would drop that thought because you arelimiting yourself too much. Most guitars that have an all maple neck have a Tremolo of some sort.

All you can do is buy some Telecaster modell, at least you can try a lot of them in every store.

You could try a Jeff Loomis signature if you are not afraid to go for a 7 String with active pickups...

--------------------

Gear:

- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

+Quote Post
JVM
Apr 15 2010, 05:00 PM
Learning Roadie
You may be right Zakk. But there must be a couple out there.

What do you guys think about this?

--------------------

+Quote Post
sted
Apr 15 2010, 08:38 PM
Learning Rock Star
Ernie ball make some of the finest maple necks in the business mate, try a super sport with a birds eye maple neck, very tasty and cheaper than a swamp ash special, which is just a posh strat anyway.

+Quote Post
NoSkill
Apr 15 2010, 09:36 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Ahhhh..the Silhouette. One only reads good things. I have an Ernie Ball Stingray Bass and the fit/finish and construction of the guitar are most impressive.

--------------------

Still looking for my soul mate, guitar.

+Quote Post
Santiago Diaz Ga...
Apr 16 2010, 08:21 AM
If you ask me, I would go for the Jeff Loomis signature guitar

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
Apr 16 2010, 10:26 AM
Learning Tone Master
I didn't even know there was a MusicMan with a fixed bridge!!!
This is propably the best choice for you - great guitars in build sound and performance!

--------------------

Gear:

+Quote Post
JVM
Apr 16 2010, 02:33 PM
Learning Roadie
They've also got this bad boy which looks a bit like my strat tongue.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
sted
Apr 16 2010, 09:19 PM
Learning Rock Star
EBMM are stunning guitars mate, the looks are a little radical for some people but they play and sound awesome.

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Apr 18 2010, 10:52 PM
Instructor
I suggest you check out new Gibson LP from Raw Power series. It's an ALL maple guitar, featuring solid maple body and maple neck and fingerboard. It's definitely not like any LP I've heard, but it has an interesting sound and fits in your description, so it may be worth checking it out. Build quality is great, and guitar is fairly light. Introducing some articulate pickups in this guitar can really create a great axe. Price is just above a grand.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
JVM
Apr 19 2010, 04:05 PM
Learning Roadie
What do you think about the SG raw power Ivan?

The natural satin ones are interesting, I don't know if I like the back of the neck to be painted though, like it is on all the other colors. Seems kinda strange, but I'd have to get my hands on one first. I like the way the raw power series looks though.

Do you guys think, if I asked my local Guitar Center, they would order a EBMM and a Raw Power guitar to test side by side?

--------------------

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
Apr 19 2010, 04:48 PM
Learning Tone Master
The Raw power SGs are extremely heavy and sound kinda strange (being all maple...)

They respond exceptionally tight on your picking and give out a very 80's hairmetal kind of tone with a weird top end. I thought it sounded a bit strange (the raw power Les Paul sounds more rounded and less spikey) but you might like it - make sure you try it out!

--------------------

Gear:

+Quote Post
fkalich
Apr 19 2010, 06:13 PM
Les Paul Traditional. Other than that, I would say you have to go to the Custom shop and pay more. I have a custom shop, but am thinking of getting a traditional.

I have too many guitars, but I also think, "well, I could get new one with Gibson Warranty for a good price and sell it for 90% of what I paid for it the next day". Try doing that with any other brand or type guitar. You can play plenty fast with a LP, fast enough. It never held Slash or Zakk or a zillion other guys back. They sound better. The very things guys don't like about a LP, are the things that make them sound better. I prefer the fat neck, just as easy to play when you get used to it, and sounds better. In fact, after you get used to it, it is easier to play than a thin neck. My 58 has a very fat neck. I would like a 57, those have an even fatter neck. But I don't want to spend that much. Most seem to like the traditional now. The traditional weight relief (swiss cheese) is the way to go unless you get a custom shop, where they select light weight wood for the back. Gibson markets all kinds of variations, but I think that is just good marketing, people gravitate back to the traditional. But Plek'ing is good, you want that. And the traditional has that. There are two types, one a bit cheaper, sold by GC or one of it's sister affiliates. That one has coil splitting. The other is a bit more expensive, AA+ top, but no coil splitting. Would like either.

edit: Oh, the GC traditional has a 60's neck, I keep forgetting. I don't want that. I would buy from MusiciansFriend if I were to get one, they are not in Kansas so no tax. Even though the warehouse is just 10 miles from where I live. It is not bad to buy from these guys. I have and always been satisfied. If you find a problem, they will exchange it for a different one with no problem.

Here is another neat guitar. Fender does not make them anymore. It gets some really neat tone. But just if a person wants an unusual guitar that gets some neat tone. I paid $900 for mine new with warranty. Which is good because Fender replaced the neck (truss rod adjustment maxed out). I would not pay $1000 like this guy wants, but one might come up cheaper. I bet I could sell my for $900 on Ebay if I wanted, but I don't. It is a nice change of pace. Sort of like a Strat is.

http://cgi.ebay.com/2003-FENDER-AMERICAN-T...=item58870963e2

QUOTE (JVM @ Apr 14 2010, 05:30 PM) *
Hi guys n gals,

I'm looking for a new guitar. I love my strat, but I don't think it's ideal for me. I really like the maple neck I have, but besides being maple the neck radius/scale length etc can be pretty much anything. In addition, I want some humbuckers, at least one in the bridge, because I am after a bit of a thicker sound. Lastly, I never use the tremolo, so a hardtail is for me I think.

Essentially, I'm looking for a maple neck hard tail guitar with humbuckers. Budget is open, but I'm aiming for under $2000, and hopefully closer to or even under $1000. Got any suggestions?

Considering:

Used PRS Swamp Ash Special (even used, they're expensive, but not totally out of range)
Hardtail fat strat... having a hard time finding these with maple necks, and at the right price.
I think I saw a music man, maybe a stiletto, hardtail with maple neck once. I don't know if they still make them.

I guess I'm not opposed to a maple neck telecaster with humbuckers, but I would prefer a double cutaway.

Ideally I would like to find a manufactured guitar with these specs, but if nothing comes up, I'm not totally opposed to building a custom guitar from f.ex Warmoth. But I'd rather not, the idea kind of scares me tongue.gif

This post has been edited by fkalich: Apr 19 2010, 06:47 PM

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Apr 19 2010, 06:29 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (JVM @ Apr 19 2010, 05:05 PM) *
What do you think about the SG raw power Ivan?

The natural satin ones are interesting, I don't know if I like the back of the neck to be painted though, like it is on all the other colors. Seems kinda strange, but I'd have to get my hands on one first. I like the way the raw power series looks though.

Do you guys think, if I asked my local Guitar Center, they would order a EBMM and a Raw Power guitar to test side by side?

It's a great guitar, very rich in sound, and VERY comfortable for playing. It sounds better on clean IMO, it has piano-like sound almost. For distortion it is great, it does have some kind of low end, but it's definitely focused towards high end where it really has plenty of overtones. I must say it is very difficult to control the tone on that guitar on distortion. Build quality is what you would expect from Gibson, although I don't like the pickups, and the way they are placed. Upgrading them would be a good thing to do on that guitar.

QUOTE (ZakkWylde @ Apr 19 2010, 05:48 PM) *
The Raw power SGs are extremely heavy and sound kinda strange (being all maple...)

They respond exceptionally tight on your picking and give out a very 80's hairmetal kind of tone with a weird top end. I thought it sounded a bit strange (the raw power Les Paul sounds more rounded and less spikey) but you might like it - make sure you try it out!

Raw Power SG is very light guitar, even compared to older SG's. wink.gif

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
fkalich
Apr 19 2010, 06:53 PM
QUOTE (ZakkWylde @ Apr 19 2010, 10:48 AM) *

I will sell you my SG standard. It is really a pretty one, and in near mint condition. It is the only guitar that I want to sell I will tell you why. No problems with it. It has a different sound, which is nice for a change. But I just don't like the way you have to hold it sitting down, it is built differently because the concave at the bottom is more towards the rear. This makes it neck heavy unless you hold it like you see guys do sitting, with it more towards your right side body. That would be fine. My Firebird is like that. But the thing is, the Firebird is pretty heavy, so I can deal with that better. Besides hardly anyone has a Firebird, so it is a just neat, very unique. And really pretty neck. But the SG is light. I just don't like playing it sitting down, so I am going to sell it. But it really has a neat sound, that is for sure, and as far as SG's go, it is a really nice one. Great neck. The ones I see now don't have nearly as pretty a body as mine has. Nice wood is getting more and more scarce I think.

+Quote Post
JVM
Apr 19 2010, 07:25 PM
Learning Roadie
Hmmm, all very interesting. I would like to try the SG I think. And actually, my brother has a Music man, only it has a tremolo and HSS setup, but otherwise I feel like I have a pretty good idea how those handle.

Also there may be a little confusion, from my reading it seems like the original Raw Powers had full maple bodies but mahogany necks? And the newer ones seem to have chambered bodies and maple necks...

Also there may be a little confusion, from my reading it seems like the original Raw Powers had full maple bodies but mahogany necks? And the newer ones seem to have chambered bodies and maple necks...

--------------------

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 12:16 PM