Vocaloid: Japanese Pop Singers In Software
Todd Simpson
Nov 10 2012, 02:34 AM
GMC:er
Yup, it's true. There is an entire genre of Japanese Pop music featuring virtual character/singers whose voices are entirely computer generated using a software called VOCALOID. There is a big article this month in WIRED about it. The biggest star in the genre, routinely sells out STADIUMS in japan. All the songs are written by fans using the software.

I"m both fascinated and disgusted. I like the open source aspect, all the songs are written by fans. The entire thing is fan driven. Taking the human out of it altogether is pretty modern as well. But it does make me feel a bit icky.

On the same line, there is a NEW version of the Vocaloid software with an new character with more "Edge". She is sort of a Japanese Rock/Pop singer. Here is a video of her most recent tune. It's easy to forget she's an algorithm. What do you guys think?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Nov 10 2012, 10:14 AM
Moderator - low level high stakes
I can remember looking at it when it first came out, probably the best part of a decade ago. Things have moved on since then as it took hours to produce something that could just about pass as a backing vox if way down and heavily masked in a mix. I also remember thinking that it was better with female than male formants. As for the stadium going fan base. well I guess it's no different to people who follow club djs and buy their mixes- argubably better as someone spends time to program the formants etc to produce the songs.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Nov 10 2012, 06:17 PM
Instructor
I'm impressed! I didn't know about this... but I find interesting to experiment with it. Is it a free software? Where can I find more info??

This post has been edited by Gabriel Leopardi: Nov 10 2012, 06:19 PM

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Nov 12 2012, 09:58 AM
Instructor
I was joking with my gf a while back about how it would be funny if there was software called EZ Vocalist or something.. and it's got all this bad samples that sound robotic ! I wish I could explain the type of sounds I mean but years ago when i was at primary school there was this program called Stylus, I think. You could write words and the computer would then read it out in this awkward electronic voice. Of course we would write rude words..

I wonder if you know the program Tony ? I can't seem to find it on Youtube or anything..

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Nov 12 2012, 04:35 PM
Instructor
However I've been thinking that I could work on Cirse's demos with one of this voices before I try it with Luciana's...

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Nov 13 2012, 12:16 AM
GMC:er
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Nov 12 2012, 10:35 AM) *
However I've been thinking that I could work on Cirse's demos with one of this voices before I try it with Luciana's...

Bingo smile.gif The new version of Vocaloid works for just such purposes, e.g. early demos etc. You can download the demo of the last version for free for PC.

http://www.zero-g.co.uk/index.cfm?articleid=802

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Nov 13 2012, 05:46 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Nov 12 2012, 08:16 PM) *
Bingo smile.gif The new version of Vocaloid works for just such purposes, e.g. early demos etc. You can download the demo of the last version for free for PC.

http://www.zero-g.co.uk/index.cfm?articleid=802

Amazing!!! I will download it now!

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Nov 13 2012, 10:02 AM
Moderator - low level high stakes
QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Nov 12 2012, 08:58 AM) *
I was joking with my gf a while back about how it would be funny if there was software called EZ Vocalist or something.. and it's got all this bad samples that sound robotic ! I wish I could explain the type of sounds I mean but years ago when i was at primary school there was this program called Stylus, I think. You could write words and the computer would then read it out in this awkward electronic voice. Of course we would write rude words..

I wonder if you know the program Tony ? I can't seem to find it on Youtube or anything..

I can remember it Ben but never had it. I think it used a basic text to speech program but lacked the more sophisticated ability to manipulate formants like Vocaloid. I'd guess that they would have had to change the name of the program as well because Spectrasonics have a vst called Stylus. That may be why you can't find it on Youtube etc.

I think Vocaloid was originally developed and sold by Yamaha's music software division. Vocaloid always came based on the voice of one singer so if you want male and female, bass, tenor, soprano etc you had to buy quite a few versions. There was a freeware/shareware software vst made by a different company around as well that could do similar
things but the interface was very basic.

This post has been edited by tonymiro: Nov 13 2012, 10:19 AM

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 05:53 AM