6 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 6 >  
Rap Isn't Music And Kurt Cobain Can't Play Guitar., Please convince me!
Spiderusalem
Nov 6 2007, 08:28 PM
GMC:er
QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Nov 6 2007, 11:21 AM) *
A little defence in case anyone should think I am against rap music or Cobain.

One of my hip hop songs. (Not many real instruments but I still enjoyed it alot)

My tribute to Kurt Cobain

You just got cooler by leaps and bounds. how did you do that blink.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Equipment: Classical/Jazz hybrid guitar. blunt/black humor.

Success is the best revenge.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Nov 6 2007, 09:56 PM
Moderation Policy Director
QUOTE (Spiderusalem @ Nov 6 2007, 02:28 PM) *
You just got cooler by leaps and bounds. how did you do that blink.gif

Kris has magical powers Spider, he just doesn't brag about them, and waits for the right moment to reveal them!

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
Spiderusalem
Nov 7 2007, 05:08 AM
QUOTE (Andrew Cockburn @ Nov 6 2007, 12:56 PM) *
Kris has magical powers Spider, he just doesn't brag about them, and waits for the right moment to reveal them!

word.

I love the idea that Kris does his own hip hop. for a while i felt like the lone soldier in cahoots with the enemy.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Nov 7 2007, 05:09 AM
GMC Founder
laugh.gif laugh.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Animosity
Nov 7 2007, 05:12 AM
QUOTE (Spiderusalem @ Nov 6 2007, 10:08 PM) *
word.

I love the idea that Kris does his own hip hop. for a while i felt like the lone soldier in cahoots with the enemy.

You are. blink.gif blink.gif biggrin.gif tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Spiderusalem
Nov 7 2007, 05:15 AM
QUOTE (Animosity @ Nov 6 2007, 08:12 PM) *
You are. blink.gif blink.gif biggrin.gif tongue.gif

yeah thanks for pointing that out mad.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
bricktop
Nov 11 2007, 07:19 AM
I can't argue with the OP topic because I feel the same way...

--------------------
Electric Guitars: Fender
Acoustic Guitars:
Amplifiers: Fender Blues Junior NOS
Effects:

+Quote Post
krawetz
Dec 13 2007, 09:04 AM
QUOTE (Andrew Cockburn @ Nov 5 2007, 10:21 PM) *
I would argue that the top 5% of ANY genre is worth listening to, identifying the top 5% is the hard bit though. For opera I would start with Carmen - it has some top notch tunes and a reasonable story line smile.gif

Now, can someone convince me that Reggae is worth listening to ?? wink.gif

i was never big on reggae until i started listening to sublime then i found bob marley to be quite enjoyable.

+Quote Post
Mackietao
Dec 13 2007, 10:39 AM
hahaha.. hiphop in norwegian sounds so bad.. In a funny way.. smile.gif
Cool song though, I like the groove =) If it had been in swedish I would probably have liked it.

+Quote Post
David.C.Bond
Dec 13 2007, 11:06 AM
Interesting topic.
Opera is personally one of my favourite types of music, I've been to countless concerts of it and and two separate occasions listened to Wagner's entire ring cycle in one sitting (14-17 hours long depending on the conductor).
I will say though that it is much better in concert than on recordings, you lose out on the whole visual, dramatic aspect of it which plays such a massive part, when you listen to a recording.
Having said that, I have always been exposed to opera and a variety of classical music, right through from Byrd, Dowland etc, to Cage, Lutoslawski, Webern, Messiaen etc because of my formal music education. My point is that perhaps because I have been exposed to this music since I was very young, I have grown accustomed to it and therefore enjoy it.

I generally think of myself as a composer before a guitar player, and most of my composition is either opera, electroacoustic/avant garde or based on old methods such as fugues and sonata form. Because of this familiarity with the structure, stylistic features, techniques etc involved in opera it may be more interesting for me to listen to than others?

As far as rap is concerned, like Tony said (or was it Andrew?), I don't particularly enjoy it myself but that doesn't mean I don't appreciate the skill that is involved.

+Quote Post
Owen
Dec 13 2007, 07:55 PM
Kris I take personal offense! My aunt is an opera singer! mad.gif

Just Kidding (but the aunt bit was true)! cool.gif wink.gif

(When I was very little I used to put my fingers in my ears and shout every time she started practicing)- I didnt like Opera then but I dont mind it now laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

In terms of stuff I actually genuinely sincerely dont like I think :-

Speed Metal is pretty bad *sorry guys, I think music doesnt have to be greatly complicated to be good, the simplest melodies are the best*

--------------------
Don't Panic.

+Quote Post
Jeff
Dec 13 2007, 08:49 PM
Rap is cool because you can walk around holding your package. If anyone questions you, you can just say "hey man, I'm just rapping!" As an added bonus you get to wear pants that don't fit and and a solid gold grill for your teeth. I want one of those big clocks too!

Reggae is cool. You gotta dig those dreadlocks.

Cobain is cool. He plays Fenders.

Opera is cool because it allowed Budweiser to make those awesome commercials about sneaking beer into a show.

It's all good man. Music is music - it is what it is. You don't have to think of a specific song as Rap, Reggae, Opera - whatever and like or dislike the whole genre. Just learn what you can from whatever songs you like. You can always turn the dial tongue.gif . Unless one of those punks rolls up next to you with his new ride sporting a sub-woofer that costs more than his car. biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
Dec 13 2007, 09:09 PM
Fire Up The Blades, Moderator
QUOTE (Owen @ Dec 13 2007, 10:55 AM) *
Kris I take personal offense! My aunt is an opera singer! mad.gif
Just Kidding (but the aunt bit was true)! cool.gif wink.gif
(When I was very little I used to put my fingers in my ears and shout every time she started practicing)- I didnt like Opera then but I dont mind it now laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

In terms of stuff I actually genuinely sincerely dont like I think :-

Speed Metal is pretty bad *sorry guys, I think music doesnt have to be greatly complicated to be good, the simplest melodies are the best*

Don' t you think "Speed Metal" is so vague?

I mean, nearly every genre has bands that play fast as hell.

Just my personal thoughts

+Quote Post
Drew
Apr 19 2008, 12:59 AM
QUOTE (krawetz @ Dec 13 2007, 04:04 AM) *
i was never big on reggae until i started listening to sublime then i found bob marley to be quite enjoyable.

I was gonna say Sublime rocks. Their like rock, punk, and reggae all in one and i actually think of them in their own genre.
And for all the rap haters think what clubs would be like with out rap. no more pretty ladies bumping and grinding against you. You cant bump and grind with rock biggrin.gif
BTW i only like dr. dre, snoop, and eminem and d12
and maybe nelly cause i live somewhat close to STL and you gotta represent your hood dawgs

This post has been edited by Drew: Apr 19 2008, 01:00 AM

+Quote Post
Marshmall0wz
Apr 19 2008, 01:21 AM

QUOTE (Andrew Cockburn @ Nov 5 2007, 11:21 PM) *
Now, can someone convince me that Reggae is worth listening to ?? wink.gif

OH COME ONE!? i'll start by saying i don't like these kind of threads much but this post was a bit upsetting to me! I mean reggae is about emotional lyrics, raging basslines and inspiring people. If i listen to steven marley for 30 seconds, I feel so good. Like 100% better. no genre can be exused or shunned because it's "bad". if one wants to be a great guitarist, they must approach everything as different smile.gif now go listen to three little birds BY bob marley

--------------------

Gibson SG-3 Faded
Epiphone Thunderbird
Ovation CC48
Vox AD30VT
Vintage U.S. Peavey Microbass
Orange Tiny Terror w/ 212 Cabinet
Creativity

+Quote Post
Unleash-The-Shre...
Apr 19 2008, 01:24 AM
Speaking of rap this was just released today haha.

http://new.music.yahoo.com/blogs/listofthe...ers-of-all-time

+Quote Post
Drew
Apr 19 2008, 01:43 AM
Even when it is all made on a computer, making something on a computer is no different than making something on a guitar, except the computer is a much more versatile and is every bit an instrument as one.

Is music solely a physical skill, that you learn with your hands or mouth or feet through repetitive motor skills exercises? Or is music an idea that is trying to be expressed, a language that is still understandable whether your accent is a computer or a guitar, or two rocks being beat together, or the human vocal chords at work?
[/quote]

Thats a great statement. It did take some sort of creativity to put those notes or beats together even if they were made on a computer. And if that isnt creative then everything we do as guitar players is just muscle memory. Just because our instrument requires hours/years of practice to be able create certain melodies doesnt mean its any more musical than a computer, it's just more prestigious and has more respect because people understand that it requires much more practice and dedication to get a sound from a guitar rather than a computer. However I believe that there are certain things that cant be expressed as well through a computer like bending, vibrato, and phrasing things that are unique to every player and is what enables us as listeners to recognize one guitarist from another. Brilliant comment though JVM

This post has been edited by Drew: Apr 19 2008, 01:46 AM

+Quote Post
Unleash-The-Shre...
Apr 19 2008, 01:50 AM
QUOTE (Drew @ Apr 18 2008, 08:43 PM) *
Even when it is all made on a computer, making something on a computer is no different than making something on a guitar, except the computer is a much more versatile and is every bit an instrument as one.

Is music solely a physical skill, that you learn with your hands or mouth or feet through repetitive motor skills exercises? Or is music an idea that is trying to be expressed, a language that is still understandable whether your accent is a computer or a guitar, or two rocks being beat together, or the human vocal chords at work?

Thats a great statement. It did take some sort of creativity to put those notes or beats together even if they were made on a computer. And if that isnt creative then everything we do as guitar players is just muscle memory. Just because our instrument requires hours/years of practice to be able create certain melodies doesnt mean its any more musical than a computer, it's just more prestigious and has more respect because people understand that it requires much more practice and dedication to get a sound from a guitar rather than a computer. However I believe that there are certain things that cant be expressed as well through a computer like bending, vibrato, and phrasing things that are unique to every player and is what enables us as listeners to recognize one guitarist from another. Brilliant comment though JVM

Honestly, it takes a lot more to play an instrument then to just rap and click buttons to produce a noise on a computer.

It takes skill and knowledge to learn an instrument and more or less just knowledge of what to do to create a beat on a computer.

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Apr 19 2008, 01:08 PM
Moderation Policy Director
QUOTE (Marshmall0wz @ Apr 18 2008, 08:21 PM) *
OH COME ONE!? i'll start by saying i don't like these kind of threads much but this post was a bit upsetting to me! I mean reggae is about emotional lyrics, raging basslines and inspiring people. If i listen to steven marley for 30 seconds, I feel so good. Like 100% better. no genre can be exused or shunned because it's "bad". if one wants to be a great guitarist, they must approach everything as different smile.gif now go listen to three little birds BY bob marley

Then you misunderstood the original purpose of this thread - it followed on from exactly the type of thread you hate, Kris started this one to balance it out with informed discussion rather than diatribe. My comment that you kindly quoted was intended to create further discussion - starting a response with capitals like you did makes me think you want a fight so I am in fact going to ignore you.

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
OrganisedConfusi...
Apr 19 2008, 01:16 PM
Kurt Cobain was awesome and a genious. His songwriting in my opinion was some of the best ever. Without Nirvana I wouldn't be playing guitar or listening to music as it was them that got me into music when I was really young smile.gif

--------------------
Gear
Guitars:- Caparison Horus Snowcloud, Parker Nitefly M, Parker Nitefly SA, Gibson SG, Parker P10e, 40 Year Old Spanish Acoustic
Amps:- Framus Ruby Riot 2x12" stack

+Quote Post

6 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 6 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 09:39 PM