Seymour Duncan's Pegasus Vs Nazgul
dcz702
Jun 12 2015, 08:26 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
So I posted earlier I was going to replace my ibanez pickups, I was going to put in nazgul pickups but before I ordered them I went to the website to do some reading and ran across the Pegasus pickups, which are also made for metal players but with more clarity. I'm looking for pickups that or going to do well for drop c metal with tones like atreyu, and bullet for my valentine, and then go to sounds like chevelle. I know some of you may say bullet and atreyu use emgs, but I don't like emgs at all.
I'd really like a pickup that can go from hardcore metal to a band say like chevelle for drop tunings. Coming here to push me to either side of the fence. smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jun 12 2015, 09:20 AM
GMC:er
I prefer the pegasus/sentient combo as it uses alnico magnets in the bridge. The nazgul is ceramic. Some folks LOVE LOVE LOVE DEAR GOD LOVE LOVE LOVE ceramic bridge pickups. I"m not one of them. I find them fizzy and dark at high gain more often than not and somewhat sounding like EMG 81 pups. But that's just me smile.gif If you play LOTS of Death/Black Metal, the Nazgul or Black Winter is the pickup for you. If you play a variety of styles and want more articulation, the less black metal choice of the peg/sent is probably the way to go wink.gif

Here is Keith Merrow using the peg/sent combo.

But no matter what pups you choose, it will serve as a learning experience. That's what is great about actually buying/installing new pickups. At some point you have to get them in your guitar and trust your ears. Typically, folks rotate a few sets of pups over time til they find what they like, but some folks fall in love on their first set of whatever they install. The magic of new gear smile.gif

Todd

QUOTE (dcz702 @ Jun 12 2015, 03:26 AM) *
So I posted earlier I was going to replace my ibanez pickups, I was going to put in nazgul pickups but before I ordered them I went to the website to do some reading and ran across the Pegasus pickups, which are also made for metal players but with more clarity. I'm looking for pickups that or going to do well for drop c metal with tones like atreyu, and bullet for my valentine, and then go to sounds like chevelle. I know some of you may say bullet and atreyu use emgs, but I don't like emgs at all.
I'd really like a pickup that can go from hardcore metal to a band say like chevelle for drop tunings. Coming here to push me to either side of the fence. smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
dcz702
Jun 13 2015, 02:08 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Jun 12 2015, 08:20 AM) *
I prefer the pegasus/sentient combo as it uses alnico magnets in the bridge. The nazgul is ceramic. Some folks LOVE LOVE LOVE DEAR GOD LOVE LOVE LOVE ceramic bridge pickups. I"m not one of them. I find them fizzy and dark at high gain more often than not and somewhat sounding like EMG 81 pups. But that's just me smile.gif If you play LOTS of Death/Black Metal, the Nazgul or Black Winter is the pickup for you. If you play a variety of styles and want more articulation, the less black metal choice of the peg/sent is probably the way to go wink.gif

Here is Keith Merrow using the peg/sent combo.

But no matter what pups you choose, it will serve as a learning experience. That's what is great about actually buying/installing new pickups. At some point you have to get them in your guitar and trust your ears. Typically, folks rotate a few sets of pups over time til they find what they like, but some folks fall in love on their first set of whatever they install. The magic of new gear smile.gif

Todd

pegusus it is. to me it seems they would be more versatile and more what im looking for, im not a norweegen death metal kind of guy laugh.gif
found this very good comparson on the pickups, to me the differances are ver subtle, but noticeable

+Quote Post
jstcrsn
Jun 13 2015, 02:21 AM
Learning Tone Master
from what I know, Alnico magnets clean up better. I think so much can be eq.ed these days that just about any upgraded pup can be made to sound like the next except for clean tones, however , from all the demos I could find I ended up going with the Dimarzio crunch lab ( it happens to be a ceramic magnet)it seemed to clean up the best and still do high gain stuff very well. This is for my seven string in regular tunning.That is the give and take , High gain ceramic , a little less gain with crisper cleans in a alnico

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jun 13 2015, 06:07 AM
I'd have to agree smile.gif It's a much more versatile pickup. Also, it's a pinch less fizzy/dark on high gain than the Nazgul which can get to be a serious buzz saw tone with high gain smile.gif But that's what many folks are going for smile.gif

QUOTE (dcz702 @ Jun 12 2015, 09:08 PM) *
pegusus it is. to me it seems they would be more versatile and more what im looking for, im not a norweegen death metal kind of guy laugh.gif
found this very good comparson on the pickups, to me the differances are ver subtle, but noticeable

+Quote Post
dcz702
Jun 13 2015, 08:44 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Jun 13 2015, 05:07 AM) *
I'd have to agree smile.gif It's a much more versatile pickup. Also, it's a pinch less fizzy/dark on high gain than the Nazgul which can get to be a serious buzz saw tone with high gain smile.gif But that's what many folks are going for smile.gif

Thanks again Botha man.

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jun 14 2015, 11:07 AM
Happy to help!! Record some bits when you get your new pups installed!

QUOTE (dcz702 @ Jun 13 2015, 03:44 AM) *
Thanks again Botha man.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 04:06 PM