Dual Problem: Stretching And Playing Down The Neck
RobM
Feb 21 2008, 02:18 AM
GMC:er
Hopfully I won't confuse anyone reading this too much?

Now that I'm getting into harder material I'm finding the following problems:

When playing say the major scale form 3 between the 5-7-9 fret I'm finding that I'm having a hard time reaching with my index, middle and ring fingers, I'm also having a hard time getting enough strength behind my fingers when I hammer down using my ring and little fingers and the same when pulling off. I also find that playing anything further down the neck (17th fret on) is tough to impossible for me. Seems like the further down the neck I go the harder it is for me to reach and play correctly what it is I'm trying to play. I have a short little finger(less than 3/4 the size of my ring finger)

I've also noticed that when I play my wrist is in the wrong position(bent) which causes my left hand to become fatigued faster and is holding me back from anything harder than what I'm doing now?

I've tried and tried but no matter what I do I just cannot get to where my wrist is even almost straight and feeling comfortable? In order for me to stand or sit normal with the guitar stapped over my shoulder I cannot comfortably do a run from low E to high E without having my wirst bent to reach the top strings? I've tried adjusting my guitar strap to make it shorter(helped for playing barre chords and some down the neck reaches, and longer helped keep my wrist straighter but not nearly straight enough.

I'm at a complete loss as to what to do next to try and solve my problem. Hopefully someone in here has heard of or had this problem before and has the soloution?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
You wish.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Feb 21 2008, 02:51 AM
Instructor
Well, judging by your gear it is nor the problem there. I think that you have too much expectations and a little practice time. So take it slowly, remember - everything is accomplish-able by practice! Maybe you hit a wall, in this case rest a little, and continue in a few days. The problem you have has happened to me countless times, but the only way to overcome it is with practice alone! smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Trond Vold
Feb 21 2008, 03:44 AM
Instructor
I will say the same as Ivan smile.gif

Getting your hand to twist the way you want it takes time and alot of practice, but dont overdo it.
..and keep it really slow at first.
If you feel the fatigue coming, or even some pain, then take a break.

This happens to absolute everyone.

--------------------
Guitars: Schecter Stiletto Classic, Jackson SLSMG, Ibanez RG-380 Japan, Gibson Les Paul Studio

Amp: Marshall JMP-1 -> Rocktron Velocity 100 -> Marshall JCM-900 Lead 4x12

FX and stomps: T.C Electronics G-Sharp, Korg SDD-1200, Emma Transmorgrifier, BYOC Tribooster, GGG Green Ringer, Dinosaur Overdrive, Voodoo Lab SuperFuzz, Sovtek Bassballs, Line6 Tap Tremolo, EHX Screaming Bird.

My Instructor Board!

My Myspace!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 08:35 PM