Pinky
n0x
Aug 25 2007, 02:24 PM
GMC:er
I know this might sound a tad bit silly, but...

My bloody pinky wont stay down! It is always pointing awake from my other fingers, as if im holding it out straight (the pinky that is) and it really adds a lot of strain to my hand/ pinky in general... Tires me out real quick... I think it might be a bad case of muscle memory... I play with a lot of bends and vibrato, and that general gilmour style feel with a bit more intensity...

I am really trying to force it to stay down, and that adds even more strain because im almost clenching the pinky down.. and I need to use it at times too, so that is not helping much... What do I do? :/

I can use the pinky no doubt, for streches, etc, but it just aint as accurate as it should be... This might also be the solution to increase my speed a little more... Anyone encounter this problem before, or could suggest a solution?? Ideas and suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Robin
Aug 26 2007, 08:34 AM
Hmm, I havent ever had this problem. But I suppose the standard answer would be: start out slow, and concentrate to put your pinky where you want it, and do it untill your comfortable with it smile.gif

How long have you been playing btw? I think its normal to get tired easily when doing new exerices and techniques, atleast I do. After a while with practicing it will probably get easier and more comfortable.

I hope someone else can give some better explenations than me tongue.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
fkalich
Aug 26 2007, 08:47 AM
QUOTE (n0x @ Aug 25 2007, 08:24 AM) *
I know this might sound a tad bit silly, but...

My bloody pinky wont stay down! It is always pointing awake from my other fingers, as if im holding it out straight (the pinky that is) and it really adds a lot of strain to my hand/ pinky in general... Tires me out real quick... I think it might be a bad case of muscle memory... I play with a lot of bends and vibrato, and that general gilmour style feel with a bit more intensity...

I am really trying to force it to stay down, and that adds even more strain because im almost clenching the pinky down.. and I need to use it at times too, so that is not helping much... What do I do? :/

I can use the pinky no doubt, for streches, etc, but it just aint as accurate as it should be... This might also be the solution to increase my speed a little more... Anyone encounter this problem before, or could suggest a solution?? Ideas and suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

I would not worry about it. I used to, but realized that was stupid. just use your pinky as much as you can.

on fast runs it stays down. mine only goes up if I bend strings with other fingers, or vibrato. if you play fast and use it, it has to stay down, by definition. I think it goes up on bends just for leverage, might even be a good thing. I noticed some excellent guitarist, I believe a guitar god, and his would go up at times.

worrying about all this stuff can drive you nuts.

edit: i just noticed it goes up at some other times. i use it a lot though, probably as much as anybody. I don't care if it goes up, I don' t think that it means squat, or if it means squat, it is a very small squat that I am not going to worry about. and as I said, I think you raise it naturally to give you some leverage when using your other fingers, so maybe not a bad thing. when I need it, it works fine, my pinky seems to know when to get back in position. sort of like my dog, he wanders off some when we are walking, but knows when to get back to me.

This post has been edited by fkalich: Aug 26 2007, 08:53 AM

+Quote Post
Robin
Aug 26 2007, 08:56 AM
QUOTE (fkalich @ Aug 26 2007, 07:47 AM) *
I would not worry about it. I used to, but realized that was stupid. just use your pinky as much as you can.

on fast runs it stays down. mine only goes up if I bend strings with other fingers, or vibrato. if you play fast and use it, it has to stay down, by definition. I think it goes up on bends just for leverage, might even be a good thing. I noticed some excellent guitarist, I believe a guitar god, and his would go up at times.

worrying about all this stuff can drive you nuts.

edit: i just noticed it goes up at some other times. i use it a lot though, probably as much as anybody. I don't care if it goes up, I don' t think that it means squat, or if it means squat, it is a very small squat that I am not going to worry about. and as I said, I think you raise it naturally to give you some leverage when using your other fingers, so maybe not a bad thing. when I need it, it works fine, my pinky seems to know when to get back in position. sort of like my dog, he wanders off some when we are walking, but knows when to get back to me.

Hmm, I guess you're right. I havent really checked, but my pinky is probably sky high, but I have never had any problem with it. Never even thought about it. Its probably not even a problem at all! biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by Robin: Aug 26 2007, 08:57 AM

+Quote Post
n0x
Aug 26 2007, 05:12 PM
ahh cheers guys biggrin.gif I guess I should not worry so much... Just annoys me because when I watch videos of others, their pinky is always down close to the fretboard heh and that is impossible for me to do unless i am speed picking or something..

Ya you are right when I do them fast runs with all fingers spread out it does stay down biggrin.gif jus goes SKY high during bends/ vibrato and slower/ more emotional playing.. I will try to work on it a little smile.gif cause i play a lot of that stuff

Robin, I have been playing for about 4 years now hehe...

I will try to reset my pinky's muscle memory biggrin.gif but if not then no worries! i dont want to be the fastest guitarist in the world.. Just one that makes beautiful music biggrin.gif!

+Quote Post
fkalich
Aug 26 2007, 06:32 PM
QUOTE (n0x @ Aug 26 2007, 11:12 AM) *
ahh cheers guys biggrin.gif I guess I should not worry so much... Just annoys me because when I watch videos of others, their pinky is always down close to the fretboard heh and that is impossible for me to do unless i am speed picking or something..

Ya you are right when I do them fast runs with all fingers spread out it does stay down biggrin.gif jus goes SKY high during bends/ vibrato and slower/ more emotional playing.. I will try to work on it a little smile.gif cause i play a lot of that stuff

Robin, I have been playing for about 4 years now hehe...

I will try to reset my pinky's muscle memory biggrin.gif but if not then no worries! i dont want to be the fastest guitarist in the world.. Just one that makes beautiful music biggrin.gif!

I've seen guitar gods with flying pinkies. It might be a good thing to reign it in, but I have other things more important on my plate. I also take the position that things like this often work themselves out on their own. So I go for speed and trying to relax.

Sort of like picking. I think I alternate pick most all the time. But maybe I don't, and I don't care. I try to go fast, and whatever I do, I do. You can go crazy about this stuff. Like the centipede who was asked how it knew to moves its legs, which to move and in which order, and it started thinking about it, and then could not walk at all anymore.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 02:44 PM