Asking Advice On Solo, Absurd solo?
Absolutely-Absur...
Dec 28 2008, 10:45 AM
GMC:er
Okay so my band really hate it when my solos go weird but the thing is I want to be part of a new wave of GOBLIN METAL haha so I've been wondering ... ( wondering it hasn't even been 10 minutes since I joined haha) ... is it possible that somebody help me "fix" for lack of a better word ... a solo I made the GP5 I have is really rough, and I wanted to first of all ask if this is cool in terms of asking someone to help me out ... I'll post my GP5 ... The midi is shaite compared to the real thing to anybody who reads or helps out thanks in advanced !!

Please tell me how I could Improve the time signature on certain parts of the solo that are off ....

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Attached File(s)
Attached File  Lillith.gp5 ( 62.72K ) Number of downloads: 115

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Jesse
Dec 28 2008, 11:10 AM
What the deuce is goblin metal?biggrin.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Don't just play it. Feel it!

+Quote Post
Absolutely-Absur...
Dec 28 2008, 11:17 AM
QUOTE (Jesse @ Dec 28 2008, 05:10 AM) *
What the deuce is goblin metal?biggrin.gif

It's basically anything that scares the 11/8 time signature out of you haha
this instrumental is fairly clean of my ... shall we say tendancies haha

Basically goblin metal for me would be using key bound notes in a rather bizarre manner
I have another song which I haven't tabbed that expresses it ...

I could be wrong but there is a side project from the guitarist and drummer of Avenged sevenfold entitled "Pinkly Smooth" that do it pretty well ... then again I could be wrong haha ...

+Quote Post
Jakub Luptovec
Dec 28 2008, 11:23 AM
Learning Tone Guru
It sound similiar to black metal with goblin-like singing? Imagine LOTR lol.. biggrin.gif

But to the tab - it did sound to me really interesting - which is interesting by itself, because mostly I divide things between good (Nevermore, Symphony X...) and trash (Emo, screamo, pop, techno..) biggrin.gif It really has (the style as well as the song) something unusual - in good sense. But maybe its just me:)

The solo was good - only thing that I lack is some sweep part/huge tapping lick - I am sweepaholic as you can see:)
I saw no time signature problem. After intro, it moved into standart 4/4 signature, where is it very hard to unvoluntarily play out of time smile.gif

If you have the possibility, I would really enjoy

--------------------
my youtube account with riffs and ideas: https://www.youtube.com/user/Phoenygzus

+Quote Post
Absolutely-Absur...
Dec 28 2008, 11:33 AM
QUOTE (Jakub Luptovec @ Dec 28 2008, 05:23 AM) *
It sound similiar to black metal with goblin-like singing? Imagine LOTR lol.. biggrin.gif

But to the tab - it did sound to me really interesting - which is interesting by itself, because mostly I divide things between good (Nevermore, Symphony X...) and trash (Emo, screamo, pop, techno..) biggrin.gif It really has (the style as well as the song) something unusual - in good sense. But maybe its just me:)

The solo was good - only thing that I lack is some sweep part/huge tapping lick - I am sweepaholic as you can see:)
I saw no time signature problem. After intro, it moved into standart 4/4 signature, where is it very hard to unvoluntarily play out of time smile.gif

If you have the possibility, I would really enjoy

Mr. Jacob You're my kind a guy haha ... unfortunately the clean solo obliged little ol me to tone down the shredding ... which is a forbidden concept for six stringers ... but my drummer and bassist give me the evil eye each time I do something that's too much for them to handle ...

they nearly had to choke me down to drop the tempo ... it was originally 200 bpm ... but I suppose I have to respect there current music capabilities just as well

If you guys don't see much problem with the time signature could you please give an opinion on the solo and if you have the time on the song?

Thanks to anybody and everybody who helps out, I appreciate it big time

+Quote Post
Jakub Luptovec
Dec 28 2008, 11:34 AM
Learning Tone Guru
it doesnt have to be fast.. You can succesfully use some neat longer sweep run at speeds like 110 BPM - at times, it sounds even better, because the listener can enjoy each of the tones much more and there is also much more emphasis on cleanlyness. But thats another story:)

I guess that the rule of this style is to be quite dissonant? Another cool thing to do are a whammy bar harmonics. You need a guitar with floyd rose (or equivalent) and rather huge distortion and delay. If you dont know how to do them, check Kriss song "My collection of sins" Its right there, when the solo kicks in wink.gif

Srry I forgot to finish my last sentence in previous post -

If you have possibility, I would really enjoy a recording. The small nuances in playing would be much more visible:)

--------------------
my youtube account with riffs and ideas: https://www.youtube.com/user/Phoenygzus

+Quote Post
Absolutely-Absur...
Dec 28 2008, 12:05 PM
QUOTE (Jakub Luptovec @ Dec 28 2008, 05:34 AM) *
it doesnt have to be fast.. You can succesfully use some neat longer sweep run at speeds like 110 BPM - at times, it sounds even better, because the listener can enjoy each of the tones much more and there is also much more emphasis on cleanlyness. But thats another story:)

I guess that the rule of this style is to be quite dissonant? Another cool thing to do are a whammy bar harmonics. You need a guitar with floyd rose (or equivalent) and rather huge distortion and delay. If you dont know how to do them, check Kriss song "My collection of sins" Its right there, when the solo kicks in wink.gif

Srry I forgot to finish my last sentence in previous post -

If you have possibility, I would really enjoy a recording. The small nuances in playing would be much more visible:)

You know what my friend I'll try to get on that recording right away ... also the thing is I'm playing in harmonic minor which makes me think more for my sweeping ... which I personally don't enjoy doing mad.gif who invented thinking anyways haha ... so are you suggesting I do simple but long runs of sweeping and end with a dive bomb? ... It is within my range of capabilities however I don't exactly know where to place it... Is it possible to ask you how the solo should progress ... for example a story line ...

1- Starts near the base (e on the 7th fret of a string )
2- Goes higher to build up tension
3- Releases tension in the reverse power chords ...

Something along those lines where would a sweep run be appropriate?

- This would be a recording of the solo ... you might be able to tell where the midi and the real thing don't allign ... Sweeping, tapping and whammy harmonic will have to wait until I reboot my tiny mind haha ...must resist passing out !!!

I used my Digitech RP150 to record it ... It's the only thing I have to record with for now ... I hope the tone isn't too horrid haha

There might be some mistakes here and there ... It's just a rough recording I did just now so any sort of comments will be most appreciated

Thanks in advance ... Man this site rules!!!

This post has been edited by Absolutely-Absurd: Dec 28 2008, 12:07 PM

Attached File(s)
Attached File  Lillith_solo.mp3 ( 1.12MB ) Number of downloads: 84

+Quote Post
Jakub Luptovec
Dec 28 2008, 12:30 PM
Learning Tone Guru
I took the tab and did a small edit in the solo - i added a rather fast tapping part and changed last note of solo. Into 156-159 - the empty bars put a lick that I recorded. It was too hard to tab so just listen to it - i played it a few times to shake off any mistakes smile.gif This is how I would do it:)

This post has been edited by Jakub Luptovec: Dec 28 2008, 12:38 PM

Attached File(s)
Attached File  Lillith.gp5 ( 63.86K ) Number of downloads: 67
Attached File  g.MP3 ( 507.64K ) Number of downloads: 81

--------------------

+Quote Post
Absolutely-Absur...
Dec 28 2008, 12:42 PM
QUOTE (Jakub Luptovec @ Dec 28 2008, 06:30 AM) *
I took the tab and did a small edit in the solo - i added a rather fast tapping part and changed last note of solo. Into 156-159 - the empty bars put a lick that I recorded. It was too hard to tab so just listen to it - i played it a few times to shake off any mistakes smile.gif This is how I would do it:)

Damn ... that's a pretty sweet lick ... wow ... bows to Jakub for the tapping ... really sexy stuff!!
I'll try to see what I can do ... man seriously I love music it's just too beautiful to not be explored ...

Thanks again man, if anyone else have ideas that might help out the composition it will be greatly appreciated ... but mr. Jakub already did a kickass job haha Thanks again mate!

This post has been edited by Absolutely-Absurd: Dec 28 2008, 12:46 PM

+Quote Post
Jakub Luptovec
Dec 28 2008, 01:06 PM
Learning Tone Guru
Thank you:) I am glad that you like it.. it could be much better I guess.. but take this as a.. idea on which you can built on:) Btw. the chord progression after solo kinda reminds me of "Warriors of the world united" by Manowar biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
kjutte
Dec 28 2008, 01:59 PM
Well, I liked the first part.
The structure is a bit weird, as you can't decide if you want it to be diminished or minor, but overall it's a cool composition.
Anyway, from around bar 142 you gotta work something out. I think it's pretty messy.
Also I think the speedy runs are very repetitive and dull, you could work those patterns around in a more creative way.

A short check on your rhythm is telling me E harmonic minor, so you may wanna look into that scale and work something out.
With harmonic minor you can do minor3 intervals symmetrically, which forms pretty cool diminished lines that are drawn right out of the scale. No tensions.

I'd check out Zsolt's 'modal madness pt. 2' if you are unsure of the scale.

Good luck!

Edit:
Seems you know about the scales.
I think you should incorporate some arpeggios either way, to make it more creative.

This post has been edited by kjutte: Dec 28 2008, 02:47 PM

+Quote Post
Tomas Santa Clar...
Dec 28 2008, 07:19 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
Love the beguinning

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 03:27 PM