2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Why Do I Hate Jazz?
Guido Bungenstoc...
Mar 28 2014, 04:17 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Mar 28 2014, 02:19 PM) *
hahaha this video made my day! I'm a big fan of Spinal Tap, they are hilarious. laugh.gif

Yeah, they're brillant & hilarious. But something is true on this: ;-D

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
FIND ME HERE AT:
Guidorist.com
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
klasaine
Mar 28 2014, 05:25 PM
GMC:er
These guys are neither shy, quiet - nor making mistakes wink.gif

QUOTE (Guido Bungenstock @ Mar 27 2014, 12:05 PM) *
Well, this should answer your question :-D

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by klasaine: Mar 28 2014, 05:26 PM

+Quote Post
Josh Adams
Mar 28 2014, 07:29 PM
QUOTE (capasso2 @ Mar 27 2014, 06:56 PM) *
I agree, I've tried time and time again to get into jazz. The fact of the matter for me is i don't enjoy music that changes its central tonality too frequently. Like a song that just keeps modulating over and over. But learning some jazzy chords isn't a bad thing. I enjoy jazzy sounding songs. Usually softer type stuff, with lots of man/minor 7 chords ect. But a tune that utilizes jazzy chords, without using a ton of substitutions, and modulations, is very pleasing to my ear holes

Yes, I've struggled to get into classic jazz (jazz/pop crossover is no problem) and I think its down to how Jazz approaches melody. Rock/Pop fans are probably too conditioned to the music's structure to appreciate Jazz easily, although it can be done.

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Mar 28 2014, 08:56 PM
Moderator - low level high stakes
QUOTE (klasaine @ Mar 27 2014, 10:42 PM) *
Maybe start with these(?)
Technically, as far as the chords go, they're more 'jazz' than rock. Definitely aggressive though and what I would call a gateway drug (to jazz).

Ultimately, there's no rule that says you 'have' to like jazz.

Nice suggestions Ken.

Chris you may find Holdsworth's 'Devil take the hindmost'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zLukR6J-06o

accessible, hang around for the solo that starts at about 1'40''.

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
SirJamsalot
Mar 28 2014, 10:06 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (tonymiro @ Mar 28 2014, 12:56 PM) *
Nice suggestions Ken.

Chris you may find Holdsworth's 'Devil take the hindmost'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zLukR6J-06o

accessible, hang around for the solo that starts at about 1'40''.

haha. I was mostly being overly cynical with my post. Stirring the pot if you will. I'm not a Jazz fan, but I avoid it cuz I just don't get any emotion from it. Rolls off my back like water off a duck. But to each his own. Music is subjective after all biggrin.gif

--------------------
The more I practice, the more I wish I had time to practice!
My Band Forum: http://passionfly.site/chat

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Mar 28 2014, 10:33 PM
You are probably listening to the wrong stuff sad.gif What you are describing sounds like "Free Jazz" or other progressive jazz forms. I'm not a huge fan either, but you might try what's called "Light Jazz" or "Smooth Jazz" which is far more palatable in general smile.gif More focused on harmony/melody, less about hitting wrong notes and dissonance.

Here is a Japanese band doing some smooth jazz that's a bit less abrasive.

QUOTE (SirJamsalot @ Mar 27 2014, 02:40 PM) *
I really haven't found anything in the Jazz world I like. in fact, almost all of it sounds like a cat in heat to me. It must be the lack of bends and constant hitting of wrong notes. Don't take it personally if you play jazz. Technically, it's amazing and I admire the heck out of anyone who can triad their way through life - but sonic ally, it gives me dry heaves.

smile.gif

+Quote Post
Palacios
Mar 29 2014, 06:19 AM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Mar 28 2014, 02:33 PM) *
You are probably listening to the wrong stuff sad.gif What you are describing sounds like "Free Jazz" or other progressive jazz forms. I'm not a huge fan either, but you might try what's called "Light Jazz" or "Smooth Jazz" which is far more palatable in general smile.gif More focused on harmony/melody, less about hitting wrong notes and dissonance.

Here is a Japanese band doing some smooth jazz that's a bit less abrasive.

Great video. I love smooth jazz. I've only recently started listening to it. I can't wait to learn it better. smile.gif

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 11:44 PM