25 Pages V  « < 23 24 25  
Adams Bootcamp, Time to Fight Soldier!
Todd Simpson
Jun 21 2020, 03:33 PM
GMC:er
This is a tricky bit to be sure. It's not the last time you will see it either. It's got a very groove type chunky rythm to it. I'm playing the original on a 7 string so I had to transpose it up an octave to work on six string. Learning to play a rythm but that has bits of various length in the same note is crucial to playing modern medal. The notes don't change but the time they are held for and the time between them does change. I took out the requirement for people to play the solo section on top of the backing as it's just too difficult in some cases based on when I remember doing this as a video chat lesson. However, if you can play the solo over the backing, it's a great way to practice keeping the solo in time over a backing. it's something i'd say to try to do if you can, but it wont impact your grading here. Also, try to play the rythm track with the backing and see if you can keep solid synch with the odd timing in the backing. There is more of this type of thing to come.

https://soundcloud.com/techniqueswithtodd/gmc-lesson204-with-solo

Let's Debrief!!!

MEDALS OF HONOR

TIMING: Timing is at the heart of this one. The timing is a bit odd. It's not straight forward. It's one of the first times that we start doing odd timing that doesn't conform to a consistent click. At this point, you have had plenty of practice doing straight counting and are ready to start playing around the beat instead of just with the beat. Nice!

NEW LICKS: The solo has a lot of things we have worked on stuffed in to one short solo. Traverse, vibrato, timing, synch, etc. IF one element is lacking the solo will fall apart. I think you have a good handle on the elements and the solo works!

SYNCHING FEEELING: Without solid hand synch, none of this works. It's got some influence from bands like Periphery and Meshuggah. Which is why it feels like the beat keeps shifting. You sort it out rather well. Spiff!

You are in the deep end of the pool now Solider! Good showing!! You just..

LEVELED UP!!!

Attached Image
Attached Image

Onward!!

Sarge

QUOTE (Adam @ Jun 20 2020, 05:53 PM) *
I actually had to use the GP5 files here to practice playing along the looped playback. It's the first time in the Bootcamp that the score sheet wasn't enough to get things done smile.gif And I had to practice it really slow too.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Jun 21 2020, 03:35 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Adam
Jun 21 2020, 09:34 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Jun 21 2020, 04:33 PM) *
This is a tricky bit to be sure. It's not the last time you will see it either. It's got a very groove type chunky rythm to it. I'm playing the original on a 7 string so I had to transpose it up an octave to work on six string. Learning to play a rythm but that has bits of various length in the same note is crucial to playing modern medal. The notes don't change but the time they are held for and the time between them does change. I took out the requirement for people to play the solo section on top of the backing as it's just too difficult in some cases based on when I remember doing this as a video chat lesson. However, if you can play the solo over the backing, it's a great way to practice keeping the solo in time over a backing. it's something i'd say to try to do if you can, but it wont impact your grading here. Also, try to play the rythm track with the backing and see if you can keep solid synch with the odd timing in the backing. There is more of this type of thing to come.

https://soundcloud.com/techniqueswithtodd/gmc-lesson204-with-solo

Let's Debrief!!!

MEDALS OF HONOR

TIMING: Timing is at the heart of this one. The timing is a bit odd. It's not straight forward. It's one of the first times that we start doing odd timing that doesn't conform to a consistent click. At this point, you have had plenty of practice doing straight counting and are ready to start playing around the beat instead of just with the beat. Nice!

NEW LICKS: The solo has a lot of things we have worked on stuffed in to one short solo. Traverse, vibrato, timing, synch, etc. IF one element is lacking the solo will fall apart. I think you have a good handle on the elements and the solo works!

SYNCHING FEEELING: Without solid hand synch, none of this works. It's got some influence from bands like Periphery and Meshuggah. Which is why it feels like the beat keeps shifting. You sort it out rather well. Spiff!

You are in the deep end of the pool now Solider! Good showing!! You just..

LEVELED UP!!!

Attached Image
Attached Image

Onward!!

Sarge

I noticed these parts make up one nice track and I'd like to learn it as one riff someday! I'm not sure if I'm doing the right thing but I usually try to figure things out by myself as a part of learning process, even if it takes hours or days to do that and read/watch the instructions after finishing, to see if my reasoning or methodology was correct.

I changed the today's exercises a bit, to make them into a sweep-like shapes where I felt it would work. I hope it didn't ruin the exercises' purpose.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jun 23 2020, 09:35 PM
This one puts a lot of things together solder and you clearly are on top of it!! It's not quite an arp/sweep, but it's sorta like an arp sweep in that many of the same types of movements are involved. You did a great job here Soldier and I'm impressed! I remember making this Mission and I was sorried that it was just tooo darn hard for most plaayers. Not to hard for your!!!

Let's Debrief!!

MEDALS OF HONOR

TOP OF HIS GAME:
I'm throwingg a LOT of stuff at you here Soldier. A lesser man would just give up and walk away. Not you! Pride and determination are two things you have in abundance and why you have come this far! You put all the bits together and make it work. Nice!!

SWEEPY BITS THese are hand movements that are meant to prepare you for what's coming. We are going to be doing some sweeps which are a serious problem for many players because they try to jump in without proper preparation. The hand is not built for sweeps IMHO. It needs to crawl before it can run. These shapes are designed to get you used to using multiple down and multiple up strikes in a row.

PREPPED FOR WAR:
You are ready soldier. I know this was a tricky one but you handled it well. You are well prepared for what lies ahead. MIssion 100 through 200 were really just advanced versions of Missions 1 through 100. From 200 on, each mission is unique. You never know what you are going to get so it forces your hand to adapt each time. You are ready!!

In other words you just...

LEVELED UP!!!!

Attached Image
Attached Image

Congrats!

Sarge

QUOTE (Adam @ Jun 21 2020, 04:34 PM) *
I noticed these parts make up one nice track and I'd like to learn it as one riff someday! I'm not sure if I'm doing the right thing but I usually try to figure things out by myself as a part of learning process, even if it takes hours or days to do that and read/watch the instructions after finishing, to see if my reasoning or methodology was correct.

I changed the today's exercises a bit, to make them into a sweep-like shapes where I felt it would work. I hope it didn't ruin the exercises' purpose.

+Quote Post
Adam
Jun 27 2020, 09:35 PM
Learning Roadie

I was experimenting a bit with my tone. I hope it doesn't make the video invalid.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jun 28 2020, 06:49 AM
WELL FOUGHT!! This one is all about chromatics. As you probably noticed smile.gif Some folks have trouble getting their fingers to all do the same thing right in a row and then add a bit of PINKY ACTION! No problem for you!!!

LET'S DEBRIEF!!!

MEDALS OF HONOR

STEADY AND SOLID AS A ROCK No rushing or lagging, just as I've come to expect. Smooth!!

PINKY MAGIC:
Not only is it smooth, but your pinky is showing itself to be spot on!!!!

SYNCHING FEELING Picking and playing are solid synched as can be. Nice!!

Soldier, this was almost too easy for you!!!! II hope the next Mission provides a bit more challenge!!

You just..

LEVELED UP!!!

You remain our TOP DAWG!!!!!

Attached Image

Attached Image

Sarge

[

quote name='Adam' date='Jun 27 2020, 04:35 PM' post='778616']

I was experimenting a bit with my tone. I hope it doesn't make the video invalid.
[/quote]

+Quote Post

25 Pages V  « < 23 24 25
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 12th July 2020 - 02:18 PM