Excited, Than Depressed?
GuitarNewb
Nov 3 2009, 03:54 PM
GMC:er
Been following the lesson plans since the beginning lessons. (it works) Started playing a few hours every day. Than I learned the solo for Journey's (Don't stop believin) . Its a great rush when you work on something and it sounds pretty good. Then I decided to upgrade from my 130$ Laguna to a Epiphone LP Ultra. My problem is I'm learning the a few different Slash riffs, but the sound is terrible. I have a Line 6 Spider lll. I did change the strings to the EB Slinky 11 gage, but I cannot get anywhere near close to a Slash sound.

Is it wrong guitar or wrong amp, or wrong user?

Thanks

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
If i spend my time learning real guitar instead of playing Rock Band, I might actually be able to ROCK OUT for real!

Untill than, I'm a guitar Newb
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
mhskeide
Nov 3 2009, 04:31 PM
Accomplished Tone Guru
Most of all, its the wrong settings on the amp. The amp (with or without FX) is definitely the most important for the tone, then followed by user, guitar, pickups IMO at least smile.gif

Even though Slash uses Les Pauls and Marshalls for several thousand bucks, I think it should be able to re-create if not a authentic tone, at least something a bit similar. I have very little experience with Line 6 amps, but as far as I know, it`s a modelling amp which have many built-in presets from other users (correct me if I`m wrong smile.gif )?

I saw a post some days ago regarding Slash`s tone on Welcome to the jungle where I think someone suggested some EQ-settings and such, you may want to find that post and try out those settings smile.gif

And to give a comparement: I tried out a Music Man JP6 not many weeks ago through a Mesa Mark IV. Didn`t sound anywhere NEAR petrucci! Neither did I expect to do so, since I`m a noob when it comes to tweaking Mesa-amps, and it was pretty much a 15 min tryout so I didn`t bother trying wink.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Take your music seriously, but not yourself

+Quote Post
jafomatic
Nov 3 2009, 04:48 PM
Even a little 15W 1x8 combo will get you distortion and the spider III models all have enough reverb to make it sound okay.

On the chance that your settings are good but the sound is still not: what's the wattage & cabinet size on that spider III amp?

--------------------
::jafomatic

http://jafomatic.net/tunes/ <-- Here lies the master collection of my collaboration and other improvisation recordings.

+Quote Post
GuitarNewb
Nov 3 2009, 05:23 PM
Its 15w amp. When I bought the guitar it sounded similar on a 15w marshall amp, but when I tried at home its not working out. Ive spent hours adjusting the settings on the amp and just isnt working. Im not looking for it to be perfect by any means, but somewhat close would be nice.

Its got Clean, Crunch, Metal and Insane Channels. Also Drive, Bass, Mids, Treble, and Reverb controls.

--------------------
If i spend my time learning real guitar instead of playing Rock Band, I might actually be able to ROCK OUT for real!

Untill than, I'm a guitar Newb

+Quote Post
Joruus
Nov 3 2009, 07:30 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
I have exactly the same amp, i never use it though cause i can't really get a decent sound out of it tongue.gif

So i can't really help much for getting the right tone but i do have a pdf with presets for songs from the line6 site , including Welcome to the Jungle!
(its somewhere really hidden on their site so ill upload the one i downloaded)

Attached File  spider2_settings.pdf ( 6.07MB ) Number of downloads: 639

It says spider2 but the settings work just as good on 3
Hope this helps a bit finding nice settings on it..

This post has been edited by Joruus: Nov 3 2009, 07:31 PM

--------------------
Gear:
Guitars: Ibanez Jem 7vwh, Ibanez RG 350 DX, Gibson Les Paul Studio
Effects: Line 6 PODxt + FBV MKII Express pedal
Amp: Line6 SpiderIII 15

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Nov 4 2009, 02:16 AM
Instructor
Try to set similar amp preset as Slash as a starting point. Put British voiced amp, and tweak the EQ a bit while listening to the actual song in parallel. See how different pickups work, perhaps lower down tone knobs on guitar as well to get the right tone. After that it's a matter of making it happen with your fingers.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 02:34 PM