Mark Knopfler Sound, Digitech RP100A
fenderflyer
Nov 16 2011, 09:26 AM
GMC:er
Hi There,

I have a Digitech RP100A and I am trying to get a Mark Knopfler type sound out of it. I am ashamed to say that I am an IT luddite and I really don't understand how the thing works. I also cannot understand the manuals that come with these things, they are too complicated.

I would be really grateful if someone could please tell me in idiotproof detail how to achieve this sound.

Many many thanks and I look forward to hearing from you.

Kindest regards.

Greg.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 4)
Gilmore
Nov 16 2011, 09:51 AM
For the early years tone, most important thing whould be using a Strat and use pickup positions 2 or 4 mostly. Vintage type pickups would sound closest.

I would set your RP100A very clean with some boost or slight drive.

Oh...and the Strat has to be red...very important!!

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Gilmore: Nov 16 2011, 09:53 AM

--------------------
Electric Guitars: Gibson SG 61´ Reissue, Gibson Les Paul Classic, Fender Standard American Stratocaster (2008 OW RW) , Fender Standard American Stratocaster (2003 2TSB MPL), Ibanez Prestige RG2570E, Warmoth Telecaster (BlueBurst), Warmoth Custom (CherryBurst).
Accoustic Guitars: Ovation Custom Legend, Ovation Legend (12 string), Martin 000-15M.
Classical Guitars: Jose Ramirez 125 Ano (Cedar), Manuel Rodriguez Model D (Spruce).
Bass: Ibanez SRX500.
Keyboard: M-Audio Keystation 88es.
Recording interface: Focusrite Saffire Pro 24 DPS.

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Nov 16 2011, 10:37 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Gilmore @ Nov 16 2011, 09:51 AM) *
Oh...and the Strat has to be red...very important!!

Haha, yeah, that is a part of the magic definitely biggrin.gif

Nothing much to do on the unit itself. I would advise that you make a clean tone, with some compression going on, possibly a bF model of the amp, with some moderate compression, and a touch of reverb too.

Knopfler's tone is based on the way he plays. He uses his fingers to get softer mellow tone but with snappy attack, which is an interesting characteristic to begin with. He then plays it through a Stratocaster with vintage single pickups, and most often uses positions 2 and 4, which are the mix of two singles together. Not sure what guitar you have, but you should start with single pickup position if you have one, and try some simple fingerpicking licks in order to emulate his tone.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
fenderflyer
Nov 17 2011, 12:20 PM
Thank you very much for your reply but I do not know how to create a clean sound. I have a fender strat but I have only been playing for 5 months so all is new to me and I'm 59 years of age. I have an old fender amp, princeton chorus but it has a lot of dials, like the digitech, and I don't know which ones to press or turn.

Anyway I am very grateful for your kind consideration.

Vetry many thanks.

Greg.

QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ Nov 16 2011, 10:37 AM) *
Haha, yeah, that is a part of the magic definitely biggrin.gif

Nothing much to do on the unit itself. I would advise that you make a clean tone, with some compression going on, possibly a bF model of the amp, with some moderate compression, and a touch of reverb too.

Knopfler's tone is based on the way he plays. He uses his fingers to get softer mellow tone but with snappy attack, which is an interesting characteristic to begin with. He then plays it through a Stratocaster with vintage single pickups, and most often uses positions 2 and 4, which are the mix of two singles together. Not sure what guitar you have, but you should start with single pickup position if you have one, and try some simple fingerpicking licks in order to emulate his tone.

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Nov 17 2011, 08:40 PM
Instructor
It is not hard to get a clean tone at all, check out this video, see how knobs are dialed in the first part and try to make similar tone (doesn't have to be the same)

Also, on your strat, you will have a small 5-way switch next to the three knobs in the lower part of the guitar. Second position (from above) will give you the Knopfler tone. Turn tone and volume knobs on full, and that's a good start already.

Also, when playing Knopfler, it's important to use fingers, try this little lick with using fingers ( it's from sultans of swing, main riff)

CODE
--------------------------
---6p5-3--6-6p5-5-10-8----ring
---5---3--7-7p5-5-10-9----middle
---7p5-3--7-7p5-5---------index

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 02:24 PM