Electronic Tuners, can they be out of tune
skennington
Dec 12 2007, 02:59 PM
Learning Roadie - Never Give Up - Moderator
So I've got myself a tuner/metranome and wanted to know if these things could be out of tune themselves. I've noticed that when I tune using just the tuner, the guitar sounds a little off. I've been getting better at tuning by ear from the low E up and are pretty close based on what the guitar sounds like. Then when I plug into the tuner te see where its at its usually something like a full step high. Should I tune it in the flat setting or pitch setting. also have it set at 440hz.

-Steve

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
MickeM
Dec 12 2007, 03:16 PM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
There are tuners that can be set to tune a number of halftones up or down. Are you sure you havn't pressed a button that set it to do that?

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
David.C.Bond
Dec 12 2007, 03:21 PM
GMC:er
As long as it is set to concert pitch (A=440hz), then no it cant really be out of tune per se.
If it sounds a little off when you are fretting notes but the open strings are in tune, it could be a problem with intonation.

+Quote Post
skennington
Dec 12 2007, 03:44 PM
QUOTE (MickeM @ Dec 12 2007, 09:16 AM) *
There are tuners that can be set to tune a number of halftones up or down. Are you sure you havn't pressed a button that set it to do that?

I could have. It is a chromatic tuner and I tune to the needle being dead in the middle with green light indicating sharp/flat at the same time.

QUOTE (David.C.Bond @ Dec 12 2007, 09:21 AM) *
As long as it is set to concert pitch (A=440hz), then no it cant really be out of tune per se.
If it sounds a little off when you are fretting notes but the open strings are in tune, it could be a problem with intonation.

David, I hav'nt noticed that being a problem I wil listen tonight when I practice. This could be the case.

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Dec 12 2007, 04:47 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
Can you tell us the exact model of your tuner ? They usually are accurate..The intonation point suggested by David is the probable cause I think.Great thinking David!

This post has been edited by Bogdan: Dec 12 2007, 04:49 PM

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Chris Evans
Dec 12 2007, 05:34 PM
Learning Tone Guru - Community Coordinator & Moderator
I found rolling the volume back on the guitar a little helped with this, some cheaper tuners can get a little confused with the signal strength in, knocking back the volume a little and maybe trying a different pickup position changed this for me with a cheap tuner I had once.

the intonation point is also well worth checking for sure smile.gif

--------------------
Show us what part of the world you live in and get yourself
ON THE GMC:er Location MAP

+Quote Post
skennington
Dec 12 2007, 07:06 PM
QUOTE (Bogdan @ Dec 12 2007, 10:47 AM) *
Can you tell us the exact model of your tuner ? They usually are accurate..The intonation point suggested by David is the probable cause I think.Great thinking David!

I'll look tonight. I think that it is a target model made by Washburn in there low price Lyon series.

It was like 14.00 US

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Dec 13 2007, 01:49 PM
Moderation Policy Director
QUOTE (skennington @ Dec 12 2007, 01:06 PM) *
I'll look tonight. I think that it is a target model made by Washburn in there low price Lyon series.

It was like 14.00 US

Another issue might be scale tempering ...

Most instrument tunings are compromises because if you tune a guitar using intervals between the strings by ear, it will be in tune for one scale but not another. The tuner takes this into account, and makes that compromise tuning, but some of the relationships between individual strings will be ever so slightly "off". Maybe you are picking up on this?

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Dec 13 2007, 02:16 PM
Instructor
Tuners, expecially lowpriced ones can be out of tune. Professional musicians check their tunings with several different pro tuners to be sure. So try another tuner and see if the problem persists. If it does than its the guitars fault.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
skennington
Dec 13 2007, 08:12 PM
Once again guys, thanks for your help.

I figured out the issue. I was using the mic on the tuner instead of actually plugging into it. I think it was reading the tone of the amp and throwing it off. I had tuned this way befor with my little peavey rage 158 with no problems. I believe the marshall half stack was giving it a fit! laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Kevin98497
Dec 13 2007, 10:41 PM
GMC:er
tend to detune when mine runs out of battery, probably not enough power to make the thing tht make the thing that makes the sound vibrate fast enough

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 01:03 PM