Sochi Olympics Huge Opening
Todd Simpson
Feb 8 2014, 04:31 AM
GMC:er
The openeing ceremony is even bigger than the Chinese pulled off which is saying something. It's just HUGE and the venue is HUGE and the cast is HUGE I have no idea what this cost but it was not cheap.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
liveOASISforever
Feb 8 2014, 08:45 AM
Yeah it was amazing. I think it was the dearest winter olympics ever coming in at about 50 billion. Now thats a lot of money.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by liveOASISforever: Feb 8 2014, 08:45 AM

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Feb 8 2014, 10:14 AM
Instructor
I didn't catch it but it looks good from the highlights. If it really did rival Beijing then WOW cool.gif

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Feb 8 2014, 10:19 AM
Instructor
Some pics from the sportsman's camp :

http://kwejk.pl/galeria/2003367/16/zawodni...ml%23gallerypic

Seems like not everything is as beautiful as the opening ceremony

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Feb 8 2014, 11:47 AM
Moderator - low level high stakes
Whilt I respect the athletes and their reasons for attending I'm none the less avoiding this particular one due to Putin's stance on LGBTQ rights.

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Feb 8 2014, 12:00 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (tonymiro @ Feb 8 2014, 10:47 AM) *
Whilt I respect the athletes and their reasons for attending I'm none the less avoiding this particular one due to Putin's stance on LGBTQ rights.

I can totally understand that. I have been a bit shocked to see some of the stone age level beliefs displayed by a lot of people, not just from the comfort of their computer screen but interviewed on tv.

There is something I'm suspicious about though which is that I've had a feeling for a while that Western mainstream news is doing its best to demonise Russia as best it can as it is a prominent strong nation which is not towing the US line when it comes to Middle East activities. Russia was against involvement in Syria and quite rightly so. Also a lot of evidence to suggest that the Ukrainian riots were actually perpetrated by using ex and serving military / police in order to further gain western support to put the end to any alliance with Russia, the US / Israel's biggest opposition to their agendas. Could be wrong, of course, but it all seems to be a bit convenient.

I do still disagree with any anti LBGT sentiments... absolutely, but the anti Russia sentiment in the media also serves another, darker purpose.

Anyway, I don't normally do politics. Sorry about that, it won't be a regular occurrence.. I leave that to our American friends on here wink.gif

+Quote Post
Jouve
Feb 8 2014, 01:21 PM
Learning Roadie
Sorry i won't give any politic commentaries, but the opening of olimpics was unexpectedly good. I felt very sceptical about that though.
CODE
I do still disagree with any anti LBGT sentiments... absolutely, but the anti Russia sentiment in the media also serves another, darker purpose.

Heh. For example if you compare the news shows from CNN/BBC and other broadcasting companies covering Russian events with Russian ones, I bet you'll get so much frustrated.

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Feb 8 2014, 06:31 PM
Moderator - low level high stakes
QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Feb 8 2014, 11:00 AM) *
There is something I'm suspicious about though which is that I've had a feeling for a while that Western mainstream news is doing its best to demonise Russia as best it can

I agree Ben, which is one reason why I said Putin rather than Russia smile.gif .

Regardless of Putin's recent claims otherwise he hisotircally has a particilarly nasty and regressive attitude towards the LGBTQ communities - and quite a few other minorities as well. I think I'm right in thinking he'd happily lock me up and throw away the key laugh.gif .

My thoughts on this by the way isn't just based on Western Media reportage. It's also probably worth remembering and/or mentioning that The transgender community (the 'T' in the LGBTQ) actually have very little, if any, rights in something like 2/3rds of European countires; rights that other communities take for granted.

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
Palacios
Feb 8 2014, 06:42 PM
Learning Roadie
This Winter Olympics is more expensive than all the other Winter Olympics combined at $60 billion. The Salt Lake City winter Olympics was only $2 billion, and the London full blown Olympics was $12 billion. The reason it is so expensive is corruption. Putin gave all his buddies the contracts to build Sochi into an Olympic village, and they gouged the hell out of the state. The only reason he chose Sochi is because of its proximity to Chechnya. He has been having a difficult time controlling this region. Especially after Russia went through the worst geopolitical disaster is 91, losing 25% of their land to breakaway regions. While it is temporarily calm right now; its a very dangerous place. The people are being thrown off their land, and not fairly compensated for the construction of the Olympic village. Russian taxpayers are footing the bill for Putin's corrupt government. Vote this guy out Russians. You all deserve better!

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Feb 8 2014, 07:25 PM
Instructor
That what I always though as well. It's not the people who live in the country but the gouverments who makes all those unhealthy relations. Also...people of business were always related to politic and there is countless list of situation where they use their position to workout own profits. For example...very close situation. The same person is both - the inspector of public investition and a director of company who makes the building. That's sick but none of normal people have time and strength to fight this - we are just living our lives hard and can't even handle this so how can we change anything...thats sad...

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Feb 8 2014, 07:41 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (tonymiro @ Feb 8 2014, 05:31 PM) *
I think I'm right in thinking he'd happily lock me up and throw away the key laugh.gif .

Well if he did that then audio mastering services would go extremely downhill !! ohmy.gif

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Feb 8 2014, 07:53 PM
I must say I'm taken aback by most of the entire country in terms of their view on equal rights. I thought it was bad here in "The South" (I live in the Buckle of the "Bible Belt") but it seems even worse in Russia and is apparently endorsed from the top down.

Then again, even in our "free" country, certain groups still don't have equal rights/protections under the law. Though it seems to be changing one State legislature at a time. No doubt the Southern states will be dead last in adopting such reforms. Sometimes my fellow Southern brethren can be a bit, well.. backward. sad.gif

QUOTE (tonymiro @ Feb 8 2014, 05:47 AM) *

+Quote Post
AK Rich
Feb 9 2014, 08:10 PM
Learning Guitar Hero
The opening show in Sochi may have been bigger than Beijing. But I think the opening ceremony in China is still the one to beat as to how good it was.
As far as politics goes, there are many things I don't like about Russia, and the same went for China, but it didn't stop me then and it is not going to stop me now from enjoying the games themselves and watching athletes from all over the world who worked so hard to get there and have nothing at all to do with these politics.

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Feb 9 2014, 08:37 PM
Ditto here on the open. Beijing set the bar pretty darn high smile.gif Russia cost more, but China still holds the opening show bragging rights imho smile.gif

Also, on the politics. Still gonna watch some events no matter what a given "regime" is doing smile.gif

Here's a sign from one of the restrooms @ SOCHI btw smile.gif
No fishing in the toilet!!!!

Attached Image

QUOTE (AK Rich @ Feb 9 2014, 02:10 PM) *
The opening show in Sochi may have been bigger than Beijing. But I think the opening ceremony in China is still the one to beat as to how good it was.
As far as politics goes, there are many things I don't like about Russia, and the same went for China, but it didn't stop me then and it is not going to stop me now from enjoying the games themselves and watching athletes from all over the world who worked so hard to get there and have nothing at all to do with these politics.

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Feb 9 2014, 08:40 PM

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 11:25 PM