42 Pages V  « < 28 29 30 31 32 > »   
Sunday Shred Fest Challenge!
Todd Simpson
Feb 1 2017, 03:53 AM
GMC:er
I wanted to see if I could get folks to jump in and maybe see if it had to do with day of the week/time/etc. I'm hoping to see a spike in participation smile.gif But barring that, I'll keep doing it as before on Sundays. So this coming Sunday. I may remove the video bit if that's throwing folks off, I do like the video bit, but it's a pain for some folks.

Todd

QUOTE (fzalfa @ Jan 31 2017, 06:06 PM) *
Where is the next Saturday shred Fest ????

Cheers

Laurent

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
fzalfa
Feb 1 2017, 10:32 PM
Learning Roadie
Hi Todd

yes maybe audio only can produce more participation !

Cheers

Laurent

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

<div align="left"> Yes, i love badges.....
</div>

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Feb 2 2017, 02:17 AM
I'll try an audio only one then for our next, or "video optional" smile.gif that way folks can make a vid if they like, or record audio if they like. Whatever works for folks smile.gif

Todd

QUOTE (fzalfa @ Feb 1 2017, 05:32 PM) *
Hi Todd

yes maybe audio only can produce more participation !

Cheers

Laurent

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Feb 3 2017, 05:12 PM
Learning Rock Star
New strings mean new take:

--------------------

Check out my TikTok! - or check out my GMC video comments on YouTube

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Feb 4 2017, 01:08 AM
Yet another killer take!! I think there is no limit to the variations you could make on this backing. I like the new string tone as well. New strings can be a bit of a pin to keep in tune until they are stretched in, but yours sound great on this take! I'm going to listen a few more times to isolate my fave bits.

Thanks for another killer take! Next one will be video optional, but I hope you choose vid as it's helpful for other folks I'm sure to see what you are playing.

Todd

QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Feb 3 2017, 12:12 PM) *
New strings mean new take:

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Feb 4 2017, 03:54 AM
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Feb 3 2017, 08:08 PM) *
Yet another killer take!! I think there is no limit to the variations you could make on this backing. I like the new string tone as well. New strings can be a bit of a pin to keep in tune until they are stretched in, but yours sound great on this take! I'm going to listen a few more times to isolate my fave bits.

Thanks for another killer take! Next one will be video optional, but I hope you choose vid as it's helpful for other folks I'm sure to see what you are playing.
-

The octave bit around 1:25 is really cool. Not only using an octave lick, but using vibrato on a two finger lick, while using the trem. That is a lot to put together and control and you do with no apparent effort. Which means you've obviously put in the practice to make it look easy smile.gif

Through the entire solo, your use of vibrato really stands out. It's a left hand skill that takes quite a bit to get good at. Only after time do I notice variance in vibrato. E.G. Starting with fast vibrato and transitioning to slow on the same string after only a single strike. It's a way to create a sense of space and ambience and that is why I dig this take. It feels BIG. smile.gif

Todd

Todd

+Quote Post
Grappa
Feb 4 2017, 01:42 PM
Learning Roadie
Thought it was about time I jumped own here and had a go at creating some music;

Some ok stuff and some rubbish!

Let me know what you all think!

Si

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Feb 5 2017, 08:40 PM
NICE! I notice you using a descending scale inversion which works great and we have not even gottten that far in the missions yet so well done there! Also, I usually have folks invert the minor but you did an inversion on the pentatonic which is more rare and works great here.

I honestly had no idea you could solo quite this well. It's impressive. You have great tone, perfect for the song, great technique, no unwanted noises, good mute, clean strikes. In short, really well played and well composed! Doesn't sound like a string of licks, sounds like a solo, written for this song, as it should be. Well freaking done!

Todd
Attached Image

QUOTE (Grappa @ Feb 4 2017, 08:42 AM) *
Thought it was about time I jumped own here and had a go at creating some music;

Some ok stuff and some rubbish!

Let me know what you all think!

Si

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Feb 5 2017, 09:39 PM
!!! SUNDAY SHRED FEST X-38!!!!
NEO SOUL COLLAB TRACK

*I"m not playing in this vid. Instead, Instead, feel feel to use it to practice your lead! You can add it to a playlist on youtube if you like to keep track of it.
Direct Link to this Challenge :http://bit.ly/sundayshredfestx38

IMPORTANT: YOU CAN PLAY OVER ANY PART OR ALL OF THE BACKING)

DETAILS: This is from the NEO SOUL collab from Gabe! Here is the link to the collab!
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...t=0#entry743372

DOWNLOAD BACKING:

MP3 Backing Track Attached File  x37.mp3 ( 813.17K ) Number of downloads: 46

KEY: E Minor

SCALES TO USE: E Minor / E Blues

E Minor
Attached Image

E Blues

Attached Image

DUE DATE: Before MIDNIGHT Next Sunday!! (If you run a bit late that's ok) I'm pushing back the due date to as late as possible . To give you more weekend time. So the new challenge may already be posted when you go to put up your take. This is fine, just take a look at the new challenge as you post your take so you can practice a bit during the week if possible

F.A.Q. (Frequently Asked Questions)

1.)What do I need to do?: Reply to this post with a audio or video performance of your solo. Best to use soundcloud for audio and youtube for video. EMBED the audio or video in the post (Ask me if you need any help)That's it, no files, no transfers, just you playing I will give you feedback on your submission and you will get your updated SHRED FEST MISSION BADGE for having the stones to put yourself out there and for making the time to make music.
2.)Who can participate?: ANYONE!!
3.)What do I get? Upon putting your video in the thread, you will get a critique of your playing and a badge to commemorate your effort. The more Challenges you complete, the higher the level

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Feb 5 2017, 09:45 PM

+Quote Post
GeneT95
Feb 5 2017, 11:39 PM
A slightly late addition to SunShred. No video so it doesn't count for #37, but I figured I share it anyway. I found that I'm in love with the B string..........it like the sweet spot. Anyway, not sure I'll enter #38. I already posted for the collab and Im not sure I can get what I did for it out of my head.

@Grappa : Great stuff. Like your take. Must listen to the others.

https://soundcloud.com/shallowlines/sunshred37

This post has been edited by GeneT95: Feb 6 2017, 12:27 AM

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Feb 7 2017, 09:02 PM
VERY cool solo indeed! I liked the tone and the playing and the composition. I dig how you built up from a very emotive solo to a srheddy solo as the backing grew more intense. Being able to respond to a backing track is what separates the men from boys in soloing and I've been lucky to have great submissions so far. I also liked the use of whammy bar in addition to vibrato. Using multiple techniques like that helps create a vibe and distinguish your solo. Well done smile.gif Welcome to SHREDFEST!! Looking forward to your #38

Attached Image

QUOTE (GeneT95 @ Feb 5 2017, 06:39 PM) *
A slightly late addition to SunShred. No video so it doesn't count for #37, but I figured I share it anyway. I found that I'm in love with the B string..........it like the sweet spot. Anyway, not sure I'll enter #38. I already posted for the collab and Im not sure I can get what I did for it out of my head.

@Grappa : Great stuff. Like your take. Must listen to the others.

https://soundcloud.com/shallowlines/sunshred37

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Feb 7 2017, 09:08 PM

+Quote Post
Phil66
Feb 7 2017, 09:33 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
Well I'm going to bite the bullet and take a long shot or a cheat however you may want to look at it, and enter my Collab take for the Shred Challenge laugh.gif tongue.gif laugh.gif No harm in trying eh? cool.gif Worth posting for the critique anyway wink.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yjVBWmIkyuM

This post has been edited by Phil66: Feb 8 2017, 09:46 AM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Feb 9 2017, 05:52 AM
Very cool take! I like the use of harmonics in this solo particularly as it's somewhat rare to be honestly to use them in this fashion as a main melodic element. Kudos for originality there! The whole thing works quite well and I'm very impressed with the playing and the technique.

In short, you just....

LEVELED UP!!!

Attached Image

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Feb 7 2017, 04:33 PM) *
Well I'm going to bite the bullet and take a long shot or a cheat however you may want to look at it, and enter my Collab take for the Shred Challenge laugh.gif tongue.gif laugh.gif No harm in trying eh? cool.gif Worth posting for the critique anyway wink.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yjVBWmIkyuM

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Feb 9 2017, 09:07 PM

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Feb 9 2017, 10:15 AM
Learning Rock Star
So it's not really guitar, but here was my take for the collab, just in case:

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Feb 9 2017, 09:33 PM
NOW THAT WAS UNEXPECTED! A full on keyboard backing. I gotta say it works like a dream. Perfect. It compliments the backing and doesn't distract from it. It could go right along with it and include some solos on top. Top notch work!!!!

I had no idea you were that good on keys. It's impressive. Keep it up! The more instruments you can learn, the better! In other works you just LEVELED UP!!

DON"T FORGET" I need you guys to submit your work to the collab thread as I can't really do it for you. Once you have your bits ready just use the link in the description to the collab thread so you can get credit in the final video for your work!

Attached Image

QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Feb 9 2017, 05:15 AM) *
So it's not really guitar, but here was my take for the collab, just in case:

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Feb 13 2017, 04:00 AM
UPDATE: Thanks to AKRICH, for pointing this out. I gave you guys the wrong key!! Actually the wrong track. But no matter, this track is in A BLUES. So A BLUES or A PENTATONIC will work fine Really any scale you want to use is ok with me. Just trying to keep it simple by saying A Blues.
--
!!! SUNDAY SHRED FEST X-39!!!!
BLUES TO BASICS ( A BLUES)

*Going back to basics! Let's dig in to the BLUES!!!!

Direct Link to this Challenge :http://bit.ly/sundayshredfestx39

DETAILS: VIDEO OPTIONAL : audio or video is fine.

DOWNLOAD BACKING:
MP3 Backing Track (Short Version) Attached File  x39_short.mp3 ( 985.77K ) Number of downloads: 50

MP3 Backing Track ( Long Version). Attached File  x39_long.mp3 ( 5.15MB ) Number of downloads: 49

KEY: A Blues

SCALES TO USE: A Blues

A Blues

Attached Image

DUE DATE: Before MIDNIGHT Next Sunday!! (If you run a bit late that's ok) I'm pushing back the due date to as late as possible . To give you more weekend time. So the new challenge may already be posted when you go to put up your take. This is fine, just take a look at the new challenge as you post your take so you can practice a bit during the week if possible

1.)What do I need to do?: Reply to this post with a audio or video performance of your solo. Best to use soundcloud for audio and youtube for video. EMBED the audio or video in the post (Ask me if you need any help)That's it, no files, no transfers, just you playing I will give you feedback on your submission and you will get your updated SHRED FEST MISSION BADGE for having the stones to put yourself out there and for making the time to make music.
3.)What do I get? Upon putting your video in the thread, you will get a critique of your playing and a badge to commemorate your effort. The more Challenges you complete, the higher the level

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Feb 18 2017, 06:05 AM

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Feb 16 2017, 06:34 PM
UPDATE: Thanks to AKRICH, for pointing this out. I gave you guys the wrong key!! Actually the wrong track. But no matter, this track is in A BLUES. So A BLUES or A PENTATONIC will work fine smile.gif Really any scale you want to use is ok with me. Just trying to keep it simple by saying A Blues.
--
BLUES TO BASICS ( A BLUES)

DOWNLOAD BACKING:
MP3 Backing Track (Short Version) Attached File  x39_short.mp3 ( 985.77K ) Number of downloads: 50

MP3 Backing Track ( Long Version). Attached File  x39_long.mp3 ( 5.15MB ) Number of downloads: 49

KEY: A Blues

SCALES TO USE: A Blues

A Blues

Attached Image

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Feb 18 2017, 06:06 AM

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Feb 17 2017, 02:45 PM
Learning Rock Star

--------------------

+Quote Post
AK Rich
Feb 17 2017, 07:58 PM
Learning Guitar Hero
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Feb 16 2017, 09:34 AM) *
In case you missed it on Sunday! smile.gif
--
BLUES TO BASICS

DOWNLOAD BACKING:

KEY: E Blues

SCALES TO USE: E Blues

E Blues

[attachment=45867:E_Blues.jpg]

This backing is actually in A Maj rather than E. So the most basic scales that can be used are A Maj and minor penta/blues. you could also use a mix of A Mixolydian and Dorian to solo over the whole thing.
You could also play an F# Min penta/blues over the A7 chord , or the 1 chord (Relative minor), B min penta/blues over the D7 chord or the 4 chord, and C# minor penta/blues over the E7 chord or 5 chord. Experiment with using both the Maj and min 3rd alternatively over the different chords.

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...showtopic=50470

Funny thing is, The E min penta actually will work against this backing since it contains notes from A Mixolydian.

This post has been edited by AK Rich: Feb 17 2017, 08:16 PM

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Feb 18 2017, 05:01 AM
By all means give us a demo then smile.gif I'd love to see someone playing A Major over this. But yeah Egad. I just realized I used next weeks track. This track is in A Blues. not E Blues. That would be My Bad.

Remember guys, AUDIO TAKES ARE FINE smile.gif Doesn't need vid.

Todd

QUOTE (AK Rich @ Feb 17 2017, 02:58 PM) *
This backing is actually in A Maj rather than E. So the most basic scales that can be used are A Maj and minor penta/blues. you could also use a mix of A Mixolydian and Dorian to solo over the whole thing.
You could also play an F# Min penta/blues over the A7 chord , or the 1 chord (Relative minor), B min penta/blues over the D7 chord or the 4 chord, and C# minor penta/blues over the E7 chord or 5 chord. Experiment with using both the Maj and min 3rd alternatively over the different chords.

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...showtopic=50470

Funny thing is, The E min penta actually will work against this backing since it contains notes from A Mixolydian.

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Feb 18 2017, 05:40 AM

+Quote Post

42 Pages V  « < 28 29 30 31 32 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 01:07 PM