Fluff Laying Down Hard Truth
Todd Simpson
Apr 15 2021, 08:21 AM
GMC:er
It ain't the gear.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Phil66
Apr 15 2021, 08:44 AM
Learning Apprentice Player
It's a reality check for sure. How many times, until you realised, buying the same guitar as Satch or Vai isn't going to make your a better player, buying that EVH amp isn't going to make you a better player, buying Pettrucci's sig picks, isn't going to make you a better player. None of them are even going to make you sound much like them.

I know I've had loads of gear and I think subconsciously I thought it would help me sound better and maybe ludicrously thought I would play better but that's where a lot of students get there fair share of disappointment.

Then you get the kids down the street with one guitar and a practise amp and he sounds incredible. If you play well through any guitar and amp that's hand decent you will sound great. All the extra gear is the herbs and spices that take a basic soup to a sophisticated casserole, or the icing on the cake.

If you can afford that signature guitar then get it, if you can't, don't worry about it, just what you've got. A £10 drill will put a hole in the wall the same as a £100 drill.

Okay I'm oversimplifying it but you get my drift.

Stay safe

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Phil66: Apr 15 2021, 09:01 AM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Apr 15 2021, 03:09 PM
Instructor
There are many interesting points here. Gear is not important to learn to play guitar and you don't became a better musician if you get the newest guitar, amp or modeler.

However, in a profesional context, there is some basic gear that is necessary in order to get aceptable results. In his example, he talks about an album which guitars sound totally killer and that was recorded only using Kemper... Be sure that he wouldn't like guitar sound that much if the guitar would have been recorded using the first Pod or Pandoras modelers... or using my first Digitech RP6. laugh.gif They used the most innovative piece of gear of the last 15 years!! Not a fair example at all.

You could get amazing results using just plugins for a Metalcore album nowadays... but saying that gear is not important is not totally true. Gear is the tool that a musician and sound engineer use to make music/albums.

On the other hand, our focus should be on getting better and thinking on getting the best with what we have. Experimenting, practicing, trying to understand the devices that we use is part of the learning process.

This post has been edited by Gabriel Leopardi: Apr 16 2021, 03:55 AM

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
klasaine
Apr 15 2021, 04:48 PM
As Gab notes, there's two sides to this.
I do agree that you don't need high end gear to learn to play or to make some decent demos at home. In fact I mention constantly that this is IMO the desirable way to do it when you're learning. If you can get decent results with minimal gear of medium to low quality then you'll be better prepared and qualified to handle the high-end stuff and achieve better results.

Having said that, some of the "You Don't Need Good Gear" blogs and vids (not this particular Fluff vid) also remind me of the "Billie Eilish got 5 Grammys for a record she made in her bedroom" thing. Which yes, is true if you're just talking about the actual originally recorded tracks but you need to also understand that 1) she comes from a well connected Hollywood family, 2) her brother is a mixer/producer, 3) she had record company backing early on and 4) it was 'finished' (mixed/mastered) in a very real and high-end recording/mastering studio and god only knows what they ended up really doing to it. I'm not hating on any of this. Thousands of great records have been in people's houses and apartments since the dawn of recording. Most of the Blue Note jazz catalog was recorded in a house - Rudy Van Gelder's

So also what Gab says. Unless your songwriting is at the level of a Stevie Wonder or Paul McCartney, you're gonna need more than a POD and a Squier Affinity into Garageband via a Scarlett Solo.

+Quote Post
Mertay
Apr 15 2021, 05:26 PM
To keep in mind cheap guitars come with horrid setup most often, and likely fixing them all if given to a luthier may be as expensive as the guitar itself smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
petitkyu
Apr 15 2021, 09:52 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
QUOTE (Mertay @ Apr 15 2021, 06:26 PM) *
To keep in mind cheap guitars come with horrid setup most often, and likely fixing them all if given to a luthier may be as expensive as the guitar itself smile.gif

You are right... a cheap guitar will do if properly set up, which is not always the case.
On the other hand, if you want to keep on grabbing you guitar to learn that aching barre chords, you better have a guitar that you like... It does not need to be expensive (but if you can afford it, why not?), but it's likely not gonna work with a piece of wood and some fishing wire...

Of course, if you are a professionnel, I guess you'd better have decent gear... You can drive with any car (well... nearly any), but if you want to play with the big guys, you will need a formula 1.. (and to learn how to drive it...).

--------------------

+Quote Post
jstcrsn
Apr 15 2021, 11:05 PM
Learning Tone Master
You don't need great gear until you can tell the difference . My Jackson in my videos was 430 US I bought a dimarzio distortion on sale for 60 bucks and it plays better than anything else I have, of course I wore out the frets and put stainless steel, so now it really sings, but now I know the difference. If I picked up a 4000 PRS and it plays worse than my jackson, why would I drop that kinda money.
With all the cheap/free amp sims I would suggest until your ear hears the difference that you stick with the sims

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Apr 16 2021, 02:15 AM
Thanks for all the great replies guys!!! Some very hard truth in all of it. Better gear won't make you a better player. But as fluff says, practice will make you a better player. sure, you need decent gear. No question about it. With many new players, I do think that if they spent more time on just practice and a bit less time on drooling over the latest greatest plugin/processor, etc. That they would be well served.

I see so many posts in various forums on the web where folks clearly know a good bit about gear. Then i check their youtube channel and it seems like they have been studying specs/model numbers and haven't actually bothered to pick up the instrument. having great gear is a wonderful thing. having a persistent approach to practice on one's instrument is thing of true glory.

It almost reminds me of the AIR JORDAN sneakers thing from years ago. "It's gotta be the shoes". Sadly no, it wasn't the shoes. Lots of folks bought Nike Air Jordans. It didn't make them dunk any better. It's possible to hear the practice one has put in, even when recording through basic gear. These days, a decent interface, laptop, guitar, monitors and bam. You are ready to record. All that's left is the endless practice smile.gif

thanks for all the posts!!!

All very true. Also the BILLIE EILISH THING. it's a new day in terms of tech. A solid IMAC with a solid interface and and LOGIC X can give you amazing results right in the comfort of your bedroom. HOWEVER, as you mention, that's not the entire store. It was mixed/mastered by pro folks in a pro place charging top dollar. still, the tracks were tracked at home with a couple of nice mics, and an imac using logic. this isnt' to say that she was using bad gear. just that home gear has come a LONG way. Also, the kemper, it's every amp ever made, so it's a bit better than a pod ever was. Killer gear can now be emulated in a very convincing way for example, the interface you use is a great unit. it emulates all of the gre3 gear from ages gone by and does it all in software. Add that to a laptop and monitors as you have done, and bam, killer quality right at home in a bedroom setup.

QUOTE (klasaine @ Apr 15 2021, 11:48 AM) *
As Gab notes, there's two sides to this.
I do agree that you don't need high end gear to learn to play or to make some decent demos at home. In fact I mention constantly that this is IMO the desirable way to do it when you're learning. If you can get decent results with minimal gear of medium to low quality then you'll be better prepared and qualified to handle the high-end stuff and achieve better results.

Having said that, some of the "You Don't Need Good Gear" blogs and vids (not this particular Fluff vid) also remind me of the "Billie Eilish got 5 Grammys for a record she made in her bedroom" thing. Which yes, is true if you're just talking about the actual originally recorded tracks but you need to also understand that 1) she comes from a well connected Hollywood family, 2) her brother is a mixer/producer, 3) she had record company backing early on and 4) it was 'finished' (mixed/mastered) in a very real and high-end recording/mastering studio and god only knows what they ended up really doing to it. I'm not hating on any of this. Thousands of great records have been in people's houses and apartments since the dawn of recording. Most of the Blue Note jazz catalog was recorded in a house - Rudy Van Gelder's

So also what Gab says. Unless your songwriting is at the level of a Stevie Wonder or Paul McCartney, you're gonna need more than a POD and a Squier Affinity into Garageband via a Scarlett Solo.

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Apr 16 2021, 02:16 AM

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 03:28 PM