2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Are You Interested?, HOW TO START A BAND
Todd Simpson
Jul 31 2020, 07:43 PM
GMC:er
The bit at 49:40 was very maiden and I liked it a lot. The mix was just the result of being a young musician. We all have to work through a bunch of bad mixes just like we have to work through a bunch of bad playing. Just like guitar, production takes wads of practice and takes years to get right. My first demos didn't sound anywhere near that good. You should be proud IMHO!

my first demos were way more raw. Yours sound like professional produced grammy award winning mixes by comparison smile.gif

https://soundcloud.com/techniqueswithtodd/talisman-the-final-day?in=techniqueswithtodd/sets/talisman-80s-metal-recorded-in

Todd

QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Jul 30 2020, 09:54 AM) *
yeah! We had emails available with our first band. I remember sending emails to every metal label from Europe and USA. Some of them answered and I've sent our band's first album (physical shipping).

One of them really liked the band and songs, but they criticized the production. They were right, I was 18 years old, and I had no much idea of audio and mixing (I was starting my sound studies at the University) The sound was not professional... sad.gif

If you are curious, this was my band during those days:

Oh that mix!! ohmy.gif haha... but I love the songs. There is a 23 minutes long song... we played it live only once.. it was amazing.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Jul 31 2020, 07:47 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Aug 1 2020, 02:26 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Jul 31 2020, 03:43 PM) *
The bit at 49:40 was very maiden and I liked it a lot. The mix was just the result of being a young musician. We all have to work through a bunch of bad mixes just like we have to work through a bunch of bad playing. Just like guitar, production takes wads of practice and takes years to get right. My first demos didn't sound anywhere near that good. You should be proud IMHO!

my first demos were way more raw. Yours sound like professional produced grammy award winning mixes by comparison smile.gif

https://soundcloud.com/techniqueswithtodd/talisman-the-final-day?in=techniqueswithtodd/sets/talisman-80s-metal-recorded-in

Todd

hehe nice to hear you singing!! This sounds like 80's old school Thrash! You could have become one of the big four! smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Aug 1 2020, 03:21 PM
I had no choice but to sing back then as we just could not find a singer! It was very tough to find singers. There were plenty of guitar players though! We were all from the same High School so we all knew each other. We LOVED the big four smile.gif Our bass player was a Mormon and had to go on a 2 year Missionary trip right after high school. That pretty much killed the band as nobody else we could find, could play his bass parts. Then again we were too young to be playing bars but were playing them none the less smile.gif It was fun while it lasted!

Todd
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Jul 31 2020, 09:26 PM) *
hehe nice to hear you singing!! This sounds like 80's old school Thrash! You could have become one of the big four! smile.gif

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Aug 4 2020, 03:10 PM
Instructor
New thread here: https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...c=61178&hl=

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Aug 11 2020, 04:04 PM
Instructor
Hello guys!! I've just started with some posts based on this one:

Band Experiences (Specific questions done here)

Songwriting

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Sep 3 2020, 02:34 PM
Instructor
Hi friends!! I'll continue updating the first post of this thread so you don't miss new entries!

LINK

And if you have new questions, topic suggestions, feel free to write here. I'm preparing new stuff.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Sep 4 2020, 01:36 AM
I feel your pain! In the start, we just used a four track recorder as was the custom then went to the studio for a 24 track recording, which we thought was a HUGE deal. This was PRE DAW when people still used a big console and 24 track tape and it was very expensive. I must say I don't miss that very much. These days hit records are made in peoples homes. smile.gif

QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Jul 31 2020, 10:34 AM) *
yes! Maiden was an influence! Fates Warning, Queensryche and some Power Metal bands were also big influences during those days.

Awesome!! There are lots of great ideas here! I also think that it's a great idea to hear everybody's experiences about this topics. I'll always incentive everybody to share his experiences about the topic covered. It's a great idea! smile.gif

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Sep 7 2020, 02:11 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Sep 3 2020, 09:36 PM) *
I feel your pain! In the start, we just used a four track recorder as was the custom then went to the studio for a 24 track recording, which we thought was a HUGE deal. This was PRE DAW when people still used a big console and 24 track tape and it was very expensive. I must say I don't miss that very much. These days hit records are made in peoples homes. smile.gif

Luckily, the first "profesional" band that I had was in 1999 and we'd just discovered Cakewalk 9. It was like magic.

Without knowing about sound we recorded this album:

The sound and mix are clearly very poor, but we learnt a lot during the process.

8 years later I've recorded mixed and produced Cirse's first album. (in 2007)

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 11:08 PM